Astronomy Telescope

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

My 8 year old son is into space science and would like to buy him an excellent telescope that he can use until his teens. Budget is £250.

Would really appreciate if you can recommend one as I am completely confused.

And if he sticks with it, a decent upgrade in a few years

or if santa is really nice one of these - Sky-Watcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube GOTO | First Light Optics

I had one for a few years, a right best in the right hands, but still manageable up and down stairs etc (weighs 30kg assembled).

Top class forum this for all things astro - Stargazers Lounge if you want further help etc or indeed for him. Everyone is very helpful.

Many actually recommend a decent pair of binoculars to start with. A good set can get decent imaging of the moon/planets.

Jumping on this thread... My 5 year old is interested in looking at the sky and we've been spotting Jupiter and Saturn over the past few weeks.
Parents looking for Xmas present ideas and telescope seems a good idea

Budget far less than this, maybe £60ish but I can top up a bit, but would like something that will last a few years and grow a bit with her

Any ideas?
Thanks

Grab this one Sky-Watcher Heritage-76 Mini Dobsonian | First Light Optics

If she sticks with it, move up to the 100 in a few years.

Awesome thanks! Price definitely good
Might be a novice question but is there a similar thing that fits on a tripod? We don't really have a table where we want to use it! Perhaps I can just grab a tripod for this?

Edit, also, would you say it might be worth just going for the 100 now? Or does that complicate things for newbies/kids?

Last edited:
Grab this one Sky-Watcher Heritage-76 Mini Dobsonian | First Light Optics

If she sticks with it, move up to the 100 in a few years.
Just wanted to follow up on my edit - should I consider the 100 now?

Also, would this be enough to see Saturn's rings for example?

Finally, any thoughts on the National Geographic Kids one that Robert Dyas have reduced right now? Seems too cheap to be worth anything but who knows?!

Children lose interest fast, so unless you plan on sticking with it yourself I'd stick with the children's scope for now.

I wouldn't know about Saturn's rings tbhe- Best check reviews or ask on stargazers lounge. Beware stargazers is like this place!!! Suggested budget gets increased the more posts you receive....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom