Astro Mixamp pro 2013

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by leamspaceman, Feb 17, 2014.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,320
    I'm thinking of ordering one of these. I need a few questions answered though.

1. Is this compatible with PS4 chat?
    2. If so, would the mic in the PS4 camera pick up my chat and feed it through to the mixamp along with the chat audio of the person I'm listening to?
    3. Can you use an external mic with this mixamp?
    4. I've got my PS4, 360, WDTV and Sky going into an optical switch with one optical out from that. Can I plug this one optical out into the mixamp then select inputs on the optical switcher?

I'm after this as I've got to get a rid of my Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D and Omega wireless headphones. I've had a new hearing aid fitted and now can only use my Audio Technica phones. It's why I want a solution that allows for use of third party headphones and mic.

Cheers if you can help.

2. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    The forums on the Astro site are probably a good place to check as I don't know of many users on here with the Mixamp Pro.

I have the wireless mixamp so can have a stab at answering a couple of the questions.

The mixamp is compatible with the PS4 for sound output. For my mixamp I have a usb chat cable that goes to the PS4 to allow me to use chat functionality. I don't know if it is the same cable with the pro. My cable is now discontinued and can only be obtained via Astro Support.

Your voice isn't fed back into your headset. You only get the voices of the other people in the game/party. I suspect that the camera will pick up voice and send that to other players.

Mixamps come with a Y-adaptor that allow you to use traditional gaming headsets with them - ones that have a mic attached. Astro headsets have one plug on them, whereas most gaming headsets have one for mic and one headphones. The included cable takes the 2 connectors from a gaming headset so, in theory, I guess you could have headphones plugged into one socket of the adaptor and an external mic plugged into the other.

You should be able to. The mixamp only takes a dolby digital sound source though if you want surround. I used my mixamp with the Xbox 360 ok. I've never tried it with the sky box.

Sorry if the answers are a bit wooly, but the Astro forums are probably your best bet. This video is also worth a look for PS4 settings.

How to setup ASTRO A40 + MixAmp with Playstation 4

3. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,320
    Thanks for your reply... most helpful :thumbsup:

I used to have a mixamp 5.8 but got rid of it when I got the Creative set-up. I loved it and often regret selling it.

I'll head over to the Astro forums. I can't even find any for sale right now. An authorised seller on eBay has 'grade A' Astro refurbished units that come in full retail packaging and with full warranty... and are £90 instead of £110. May take a punt.

4. uzer

uzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Snagged up the astro a30 system came with another mixamp for 80$.

Mixamp is more valuable then that price by itself so now have a pair of mid range cans to do what I like with.

5. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    I've got a Mixamp 5.8 which I use with a pair of Sennheiser PC360's. Getting a PS4 at end of March, will the Mixamp work with PS4?

Edit - may well be a stupid question (either way!), but I'm not sure so thought I'd ask.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. uzer

uzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Yes.

7. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    It's the same setup as I have and it works fine. The chat volume of others can be a bit low though, I have the small voice mixer control most of the way round to the right to compensate.

Do you have a PS3 chat cable for your mixamp? If not, I suggest you get in touch with Astro Support and raise a ticket as it is the only was of getting one.

8. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Yes I've got the chat cable, so I'm good to go. Thanks for that.

9. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    Cool. You connect it up just like the PS3 then. Check out the video I posted near the top of the thread for the PS4 sound settings you need.