Astro Headsets A30/A40/A50 , the New Headset Adapter with Surround Sound

barneystuta

Established Member
Reaction score
I know a number of AVF's have an Astro Headset. The set up will likely be similar for other headsets that use a form of Mix amp.

Without the adapter you are able to now use the Headset via Optical. This has BOTH chat and Game audio coming through the headset. However, the mixamp does not mix, because the audio is coming from a single source (like when audio plays through your TV).

In order to use the MixAmp to "mix" the voice/game audio, you need a headset adapter (released this Friday according to Game).

Here is a how to - Roll on Friday :D

Connecting to the Xbox One - A50, A40 and A30 Audio System Guide

A50 Wireless System Xbox One Guide

Hello Astroids!

The time has come and Microsoft have finally announced their Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter which will allow you to use the full functionality of your A50 Wireless System! This thread is going up early so you can read the instructions ready for March which is when the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter will be on sale. If you have any questions before then, please feel free to ask in this thread and we will answer them to the best of our ability.

Preparation
To use the full functionality of your A50 Wireless System on your Xbox One, you will require the following items.

1) A50 Wireless System (Headset and Transmitter).
2) Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.
3) 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter which is included with the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.

Downloading the latest firmware update for your Xbox One Controller
To use the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, your Xbox One Controller will need the latest firmware update installed. Xbox Support has a guide which can be found here which will take you through the process. Once you have installed the latest firmware update on your Xbox One Controller, please come back to this thread to continue.

Connecting the A50 Wireless System to your Xbox One1) Connect the included optical cable from the optical input on the A50 MixAmp TX to the optical output found on the back of the Xbox One.

2) Connect the included USB to USB-Mini cable from the USB input on the A50 MixAmp TX to one of the USB ports found on the back of the Xbox One.

3) Connect the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to the Xbox One Controller.

4) Connect the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.

5) Connect the included Xbox LIVE Controller Cable from the A50 Wireless Headset to the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.

Configuring the Xbox One
1) Switch on the Xbox One.

2) From the Home screen, press the Menu button on the controller.

3) Select Settings.

4) Select Display & Sound.

5) Select Optical audio and then select Bitstream out.

6) Select Bitstream format and then select Dolby Digital.

Configuring the Xbox One Stereo Headset AdapterBy default, the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter will output both game audio and voice audio which will render the mixer on the A50 Wireless Headset unusable. Follow the below steps to set the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to only output voice audio which will correct this.

1) Set the mixer on the A50 Wireless Headset to full voice audio. To do this, hold down the voice button on the A50 Wireless Headset until you hear two beeps. Two beeps is an indication that you have fully mixed towards either game or voice depending on what button you was holding.

2) On the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, hold down the chat audio button until you can no longer hear game audio and can only hear voice audio.

3) On the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, hold down the plus button until the voice audio no longer increases.

That's all that's to it! You will now be able to use the microphone from your A50 Wireless Headset on your Xbox One and the mixer will work as intended allowing you to mix between game audio and voice audio with ease. Should you have any further questions regarding the A50 Wireless Headset and Xbox One, please feel free to post them on this thread and we'll respond as quickly as possible with an answer for you.

A40 and A30 Audio System Xbox One Guide

Hello Astroids!

The time has come and Microsoft have finally announced their Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter which will allow you to use the full functionality of your A40 and A30 Audio System! This thread is going up early so you can read the instructions ready for March which is when the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter will be on sale. If you have any questions before then, please feel free to ask in this thread and we will answer them to the best of our ability.

Preparation
To use the full functionality of your A40 or A30 Audio System on your Xbox One, you will require the following items.

1) A40 or A30 Audio System (Headset and MixAmp).
2) Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.
3) 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter which is included with the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.

Downloading the latest firmware update for your Xbox One Controller
To use the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, your Xbox One Controller will need the latest firmware update installed. Xbox Support has a guide which can be found here which will take you through the process. Once you have installed the latest firmware update on your Xbox One Controller, please come back to this thread to continue.

Connecting the A40 or A30 Audio System to your Xbox One1) Connect the included optical cable from the optical input on the MixAmp to the optical output found on the back of the Xbox One.

2) Connect the included USB to USB-Mini cable from the USB input on the MixAmp to one of the USB ports found on the back of the Xbox One.

3) Connect the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to the Xbox One Controller.

4) Connect the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.

5) Connect the included Xbox LIVE Controller Cable from the controller input on the MixAmp to the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.

6) Connect the A40 or A30 Headset to the headset input on the MixAmp.

Configuring the Xbox One
1) Switch on the Xbox One.

2) From the Home screen, press the Menu button on the controller.

3) Select Settings.

4) Select Display & Sound.

5) Select Optical audio and then select Bitstream out.

6) Select Bitstream format and then select Dolby Digital.

Configuring the Xbox One Stereo Headset AdapterBy default, the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter will output both game audio and voice audio which will render the mixer on the MixAmp unusable. Follow the below steps to set the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to only output voice audio which will correct this.

1) Set the mixer on the MixAmp to full voice audio.

2) On the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, hold down the chat audio button until you can no longer hear game audio and can only hear voice audio.

3) On the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, hold down the plus button until the voice audio no longer increases.

That's all that's to it! You will now be able to use the microphone from your A40 or A30 Headset on your Xbox One and the mixer will work as intended allowing you to mix between game audio and voice audio with ease. Should you have any further questions regarding the A40 or A30 Audio System and Xbox One, please feel free to post them on this thread and we'll respond as quickly as possible with an answer for you.

Everyone is going to need the adaptor unless they modded there old Xbox one headset .
I done mine months ago and have had voice chat from day one . I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to mix the voice / game audio , works fine with my astro setup.

Everyone is going to need the adaptor unless they modded there old Xbox one headset .
I done mine months ago and have had voice chat from day one . I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to mix the voice / game audio , works fine with my astro setup.

I think, unless you have a mod (like yours) or the headset adapter you are not able to use the mixer. In other words, as I am set up now, with just an optical to mixer to the header, there is one audio source. So how can that be mixed?

The Xbox One outputs game chat by default with the main audio unless a headset is attached also. This then splits the audio out between game audio and voice.

Without that split, you are not able to adjust the dial on the mix amp to just have voice chat or just have game audio.

With your set up, where you do have your voice chat, then you can "mix" :)

Think that makes sense :D

Yeah that makes sense , I done the mod at launch and have had no problems mixing using the amp.
I updated my console to the new dash yesterday and tonight updated the controller ( you have to do it separately) and I was worried that my chat was going to go ti#s up but it was fine .
I'm buying a second console for the living room so I'm going wireless with that one but I'm going to mod it again instead of buying the adaptor ( Microsoft shouldn't have had to mess us around like they have and it should have been bundled with the console itself , instead they gave us a crappy headset till they got big money from the headset company's)

Sorry to be a pain but can you provide a link to the mod? Please :)

Am on the new update am all sorted now i have a modded chat lead but they don't work very well untill the new comes out next week i find it hard hearing people in the party or ingame

Astro are releasing a few new variants of their Headsets, with the PS4 and Xbox One in mind.

This video briefly explains them:

Here is a picture of the mixamp called the M80 (no release date yet, likely in time for Halo MCC though).

BwZX2kpCQAAqTxY.jpg

Astro are releasing a few new variants of their Headsets, with the PS4 and Xbox One in mind.

This video briefly explains them:

Here is a picture of the mixamp called the M80 (no release date yet, likely in time for Halo MCC though).

BwZX2kpCQAAqTxY.jpg

Looks interesting , astro make quality headsets which work very well on the xbox one as it is , I wonder how much they have paid Microsoft for the rights to there chat port . They are the first company to do it I think .

A few details from a user on Reddit:

Here are a few deets for you all: The MixAmp M80 is ASTRO's Stereo Headset adapter for the Xbox One. It allows you to connect an A40 headset directly into the Xbox One Controller. With the M80 there is no need for the MixAmp Pro as all the game voice balance, volume controls, and audio presets are built directly into the unit. The A50s will have their own adapter but since the controls are already built directly into the headset it has a bit of a different design. These are all the details I can give you right now, but I'll come back and drop a bit more info for you soon.

If this new Astro chat adaptor/mixamp combo finally gives us (simulated) surround sound through the controller then I'll be all over it :thumbsup:

If this new Astro chat adaptor/mixamp combo finally gives us (simulated) surround sound through the controller then I'll be all over it :thumbsup:

It doesn't sound like it does, given the stereo description. Also the limitation is the signal MS are sending from the box to the adapter. Only way to change that is for MS to change what they're sending. But from what I've read there are technical limitations on sending a multi channel signal to the controller in this way.

It doesn't sound like it does, given the stereo description. Also the limitation is the signal MS are sending from the box to the adapter. Only way to change that is for MS to change what they're sending. But from what I've read there are technical limitations on sending a multi channel signal to the controller in this way.
Surely they could just do the simulation in the box before sending the stereo signal to the controller?

Surely they could just do the simulation in the box before sending the stereo signal to the controller?

That's what I thought it (XB1) would do from the off. Mind you that would completely kill the Mixamp market for that console. But given the dedicated sound chip I thought it would do the equivalent of Dolby Headphone. As that is simulated stereo it would transfer to the controller no problem. As it stands the M80 just looks a more advanced version of the MS headset adaptor so I'm not sure if offers much without more details.

Then what does it offer over the official chat adaptor? If it doesn't offer anything new then I'll be sticking with what I've got. It may only be stereo but I've been doing fine with it in BF4, I can usually pick from which direction the next tank is coming from that's going to blast me in the face :rotfl:

They could. But when you think that for an Astro product where you're buying a very expensive mixamp to do that mixing it seems unlikely MS will get close to that quality. Which is possibly why they haven't done it.

Then what does it offer over the official chat adaptor? If it doesn't offer anything new then I'll be sticking with what I've got. It may only be stereo but I've been doing fine with it in BF4, I can usually pick from which direction the next tank is coming from that's going to blast me in the face :rotfl:

There is some directional audio in the mix MS have said. I don't think it makes that much difference. And yes I wonder what advantage it will have over optical setups now. None I suspect.

Let's see how they price the a40 now with this bundled .

Isn't this wireless, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Isn't this wireless, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Well the a40 certanly isn't a wireless headset and doesn't take batteries so It could be a whole new design for xbox one which seems like shutting the door after the horse has bolted .

I have just replaced my Turtle beach stealth 500x for Astro A50 .
Am having problems with my controller disconnecting randomly when I use the Astro chat adapter .
The only way I can use the chat adapter is to keep the usb power cable from the pad to the Xbox one .
Has anyone els had this controller disconnect problem ?
I have tried everything from a replacement Astro headset to new elite controller but still get the disconnection .
The message on screen says please reconnect controller , the light on the pad flashes then stays on and I have to take out the batteries to reset the pad .
Astro say its a Microsoft problem and Microsoft say its an Astro problem .

Any ideas ???

I get the same problem I just assumed by play a charge kit was gettin old and couldn't hold enough charge to power both. Never been a issue really tho just plug it in. Never used to do it, that's why I thought it was play and charge getting old

incase anyone doesnt know. argos currently have astro a40 and mixamp (light grey) for £129 seems like a good deal looking around the place

I get the same problem I just assumed by play a charge kit was gettin old and couldn't hold enough charge to power both. Never been a issue really tho just plug it in. Never used to do it, that's why I thought it was play and charge getting old
No it's not battery's I have changed everything, it's wireless connection to the Xbox that drops off
When a chat adapter is used .
It's a joke really Microsoft have had this problem since the day one Xbox was released

Last edited:
Not sure then, nothing is going to fix it tho. I'd defo but blame on Astro tho of works perfect with the chat adapter and I've used other headsets with no problems. Doesn't bother me now tho, got used to having it plugged in

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom