Astra VXR Owners, advice needed

frazzle121180

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to weigh up getting a 2013 VXR

Usually when I come to buying cars I end up with something I never really would pick, for example my current car is a 2011 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2l Diesel, despite the fact I set out to get a 3 series BMW.

That's how it usually goes with me, but this time I'm determined if viable I'd love a 2013 Astra VXR

Here's my dilemma, just now I do about 15k a year mileage work & personal, getting 40mpg on the Laguna, I'm just not sure the VXR is suitable to be honest, obviously being a petrol it's not going to get me 40mpg in it's puff...but you know, it's just one of those cars I've always wanted.

I've also got a 3 year old daughter, but during weekends we tend to use the mrs Qashqai if going anywhere as it's roomier, so worrying about mrs or daughter getting in and out of it isn't on my mind

Any owners care to share their experiences/thoughts on their VXR's with me

Right now i'm sitting at 50-50, the big kid in me says go for the VXR, but my sensible head tells me driving Edinburgh to Glasgow every morning for work, and some travel up north and down south (Aberdeen, Newcastle etc) will empty my pockets pretty quick and I'd be better looking at a 2.0l Diesel Astra GTC Special Edition or something of that ilk.

I'd take the GTC in your position. Probably less noisy on longer drives for one and not likely that much worse to drive than the VXR. Neighbour has 3 door VXR and watching them get their kids in looks hilariously frustrating!

A mate of mine has a 2013 vxr. Its nice and just as good as said on top gear even jeremy liked it. But in your position with the mileage prob not a good idea. Under 30mpg even going easy and them tyres on 20inch wheels at 300+ a pop would make me cry lol.
If can afford it go for it but Id still have the ST all day long.

For me currently one of the best looking hot hatches, get the aero pack, 20 inch rims, balls to been practical enjoy driving. Oh and you can get the rubber for 200 per corner. I have an ST which is superb, but not as good looking as the VXR

Don't buy an arden blue VXR because the paint chips. Loads of members have had theirs resprayed on warranty and fitted carbon mud flaps. The gearboxes are also very weak like the previous generation Astra VXR.

I've driven one on a VXR track day power event around Oulton Park. It was good but the power delivery was very linear and there was a lot of turbo lag.

It looks good but its not very exciting for a hot hatch. Its not very fast by modern standards and the build quality isn't anything to shout home about.

There are better cars available but for the money but it does look very nice with the aero kit.

lots to think about folks thanks

Been going over the figures over the weekend, looked at a 2013 VXR with relatively low mileage (sub 10k) looks like its going to cost nigh on £450 a month.

Can get the GTC CDTI with the 20" wheels in SRI spec for about £300 a month with low mileage, which is very tempting.

I looked at the ST but anything I could find was nearly £500 a month, mind you I did only look at ford direct, might expand the search further afield.

lots to think about folks thanks

Been going over the figures over the weekend, looked at a 2013 VXR with relatively low mileage (sub 10k) looks like its going to cost nigh on £450 a month.

Can get the GTC CDTI with the 20" wheels in SRI spec for about £300 a month with low mileage, which is very tempting.

I looked at the ST but anything I could find was nearly £500 a month, mind you I did only look at ford direct, might expand the search further afield.
Look on G2L, ST diesel for less then £200 per month with £1500 down

Check out the VXR online forum. I'm sure they can pint you in the right direction if looking for VXR deals. Also try Astons Vauxhall or Revitup. Both have a good reputation on the VXR online forum.

well I've ended up ordering a 15 plate GTC Special Edition from local Uncle Arnolds branch.
Becuase of the deals they have on just now it worked out cheaper getting the 15 plate than it did a 14 plate with 6k miles on it???

well I've ended up ordering a 15 plate GTC Special Edition from local Uncle Arnolds branch.
Becuase of the deals they have on just now it worked out cheaper getting the 15 plate than it did a 14 plate with 6k miles on it???

Be sure to get some pics up when you get a chance and congrats on the purchase

Thanks very much mate, I will
Very first ever I have purchased a brand new out the showroom car so pretty excited :)

He must have stacked it already :devil:

Only joking just probably hasn't stopped driving.

its a joy

Don't have some of the luxuries I had in previous car, such as sat nav and climate control, but the car itself makes up for that

Right now I'm in 2 minds whether it needs a wee trip back to the dealer as there is a faint clutch smell everytime I pull away from a junction or if I am sitting in queing traffic.

I've made sure I'm not riding the clutch, I've even made sure I'm in neutral and my foot ain't near the clutch, but once the car gets up to temp the smell seems to appear for a few seconds then disappears.

It's been suggested that maybe because it's brand new its just protective coatings etc burning off, but I'm not so sure as I've done 400 miles, so surely anything like that would be gone by now?

Everything else seems fine, engine isn't overheating or anything.....just a weird wee annoyance just now

t556ci.jpg

2mwrx8w.jpg

I'm wondering if the clutch smell is actually a whiff coming from the turbo.
I've ruled out the clutch as I coasted to a set of lights tonight, stopped, put on handbrake then a few seconds later the whiff appears for a second or two then its gone, but there is a heat to the whiff....does that make sense......do I just sound like a rambling eejit? :)

Opened the hood tonight when I got home, had a sniff around, couldn't smell anything, then the wind changed slightly and I caught a faint whiff of the smell again, which seemed to be coming from the Turbo...or maybe just the heat-shield around it.

Made the mistake of touching it....won't do that again, it was mental hot, which is making me wonder is it the cause of the smell....and crucially, is it anything to worry about?

That's a very nice looking car I think you chose the best colour as well.
My hunch says the smell is just protective coatings burning off but if your unsure get it straight back to the dealers.

I thought that myself, but then i thought, surely after 450 miles the coatings would be off by now

I'll maybe give it another week or two and see how it goes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom