Aston Villa Sold

BrianC

Novice Member
Well, not 100% yet as other bids can be submitted in the next 21 days for the club but I doubt anybody else will be able to top the (cash) offer before then.

For now it looks like billionaire Randy Lesner (who used to own MBNA) has finally wrestled control of Aston Villa from Doug Ellis. Along with the appointment of Martin O'Neil as manager we should be well away from the bottom of the table this season.

Who do you think we'll sign in the January transfer window? (I doubt we'll see any purchases before Lesner has legal ownership and the transfer window closes before the 21 days are out)

Will we finally see the stadium extended?

Kazman

UP THE VILLA!!

This is fantastic news!!

Finally got rid of Deadly and O'Leary :D

The only way is up now :)

Kazman

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Kazman said:
Great game at the weekend eh? ;)
Don't you start as well! :D

As a matter of fact though, you are correct. I did enjoy the game BTW, because I felt that as a training workout, it definitely served its purpose.
I now look forward to the commencement of competitive hostilities and games where something worthwhile is at stake! As an analogy, we can use that now famous saying "our boys wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10,000"........

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Are there plans afoot for a bigger stadium ? Over the last few seasons the crowds at Villa have been well down considering what you would expect them to get, hopefully the new management there should see full houses every week. We need some success from somewhere in the Midlands as we are all suffering at the moment.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Villa have planning permission for another 8000 seats and a hotel.

The takeover is great news, I've wanted the old goat out for years.

I do see players coming in shortly, but it looks like Barry is off to Pompey :(

Never mind, Come on you lions, onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

Kazman

JohnG said:
Are there plans afoot for a bigger stadium ? Over the last few seasons the crowds at Villa have been well down considering what you would expect them to get, hopefully the new management there should see full houses every week. We need some success from somewhere in the Midlands as we are all suffering at the moment.
Don't think we'll get a bigger stadium for a while, a lot of history at VP, I think we'd see the stadium renovated rather than a completely new stadium being built. But who knows :).

We might be able to afford some new players before the end of the transfer window now :) Looking forward to see who Martin O'Neil picks, I think Petrov is almost definite, rumours about Hargreaves being a target as well.

Get rid of Baros, he has always been a no hoper and only in it for them money. The rest of the squad isn't too bad, but we definitely need more quality in there :) A creative and strong mid-fielder would be a strong need in my opinion.

Kazman

Badger0-0 said:
Villa have planning permission for another 8000 seats and a hotel.

The takeover is great news, I've wanted the old goat out for years.

I do see players coming in shortly, but it looks like Barry is off to Pompey :(

Never mind, Come on you lions, onwards and upwards :thumbsup:
I thought Barry and Mellberg both said they are staying at the Villa now :)

Barry would be a big loss on the left side.

EDIT: Yup, Barry is staying :) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/5252584.stm

BrianC

Novice Member
Did the planning permission lapse 2004 or 2005 or did they manage to get it extended? Edit: And I thought the plan was to fill in the corners of the ground?

Attendance will be well up from what it was going to be this season, and would have been much lower than last seasons low 30 thousand if the very poor ticket sales were anything to go by. We'll need a good season to justify the increase in seats but I think it has to have figured into Lesner's choice of club as he could have chosen any of at least half a dozen clubs.

Kazman

I feel compelled to add to my previous comment about Deadly. I will be thankful to the guy for never getting us into huge debt, he ran a steady ship, but wouldn't open the purse strings enough for us to keep up with the big Premiership 3 at the time when we needed it.

But he kept us healthy and didn't turn us into a Leeds United (even with O'Leary at the healm).

So, kudos to the Deadly one for keeping us healthy financially, and kudos for getting us Martin O'Neil :D

Kazman

Badger0-0 said:
That's last week.
He's off mate £4.5 mill, I read it this morning, but can't find the link.
I'd wait for confirmation on one of the more reliable sites like BBC or Sky Sports first. Sooooo many rumours fly about this time of the year.

Hope it isn't true :(

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
BrianC said:
Did the planning permission lapse 2004 or 2005 or did they manage to get it extended? Edit: And I thought the plan was to fill in the corners of the ground?

Attendance will be well up from what it was going to be this season, and would have been much lower than last seasons low 30 thousand if the very poor ticket sales were anything to go by. We'll need a good season to justify the increase in seats but I think it has to have figured into Lesner's choice of club as he could have chosen any of at least half a dozen clubs.
Ellis said it at O'Neil's unveiling. It is to fill in the corners, I believe.
We have the ability to fill a bigger stadium with the right marketing and investment, something Ellis knew nothing about in the modern world, IMO.
Remember the "corner shop" mentality thing mentioned in the independent report?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
The BBC is reporting that Martin O'Neill is expected to sign a long-term deal if billionaire Randy Lerner takes control of the club.

RMCF

Good news for Villa.

Always liked them - lets hope they can become a 'big' team again over the next few years. Have fond memories of watching them with Tony Morley et al in the 80s.

Surely plenty of money will be spent on players now, given that fella's wealth?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I'd guess £10 mill straightaway, if that.
Then a splurge when MON has had time to really evaluate the side in January :thumbsup: