Asterix&Obelix French with English Subs?

D

Der_Pobman

Is it possible to find Asterix And Obelix Take On Caesar with the original French language and English subtitles? It does not matter what region.

I know the UK version does not, neither does the French, German or Russian version.

Regards

Der Pobman

Der Pobman,

I've looked around on some DVD sites (different regions and different version) but no success. Even the Dutch version only has dutch subtitles. Maybe it just doesn't exist?

- Tom -

When it first came out I am sure the French version had English subtitles, however there was a fault as when you selected the English subs you got both English and French at the same time. They fixed this by removing the English subs.

If it does not exist then it is a real shame, seeing as this is the second highest grossing film in French cinema history! I hate dubbed films, and I dont speak more than 3 words . . .

There does not seem to be a R1 release yet, perhaps if it ever comes out over there it will be OK... I would have thought it would be out in R1 already though, seeing as the French Canadians would love it :)

Regards

Der Pobman

Der Pobman,

You said: "Asterix & Obelix Take On Caesar - seeing as this is the second highest grossing film in French cinema history"

Umm... I don't know where you got your information from, but I severly doubt that this is true. I'd expect any of the following to have garnered far more at the French box office, than this Asterix film:-

- Amelie
- Les Visiteurs
- Cyrano De Bergerac
- Betty Blue
- Leon (aka The Professional)
- Subway
- Les Valseuses
- Les Amants Du Pont Neuf
- La Femme Nikita

Pooch

Pooch

From Play247:
"'Asterix and Obelix Take On Caesar' is France's second most successful film of all time and stars internationally renowned actor Gerard Depardieu as Gaulish warrior Obelix alongside Oscar winning Roberto {snip}
"

I remembered this as grossing, though I see it says successful... though seeing as a films success is measured in money these days... ... ...

I was of course talking about a French language film and its success worldwide, not just in France which is what you seem to be referring too.

So I shall rephrase for your liking... and say Asterix is ONE of the most successful films in French cinema history within the spectrum of WORLDWIDE box office, video and DVD sales ... happy?

It is for some reason VERY popular in Russia… if you visit the Rubin TV factory you will always see them playing it on there TVs to demo their ‘quality’.

BTW you missed Big Blue from your list of mostly Besson films... shame really as thats my favourite.... though of course it is not in the French language... and the R2 release is dreadful, other than that its a great film :)

Regards

Der Pobman

Oh dear. I was thinking of living in France, but if the French like this dire piece of cinematic crap, then it looks like I have severely misjudged them.

Der Pobman,

You said: "I was of course talking about a French language film and its success worldwide, not just in France which is what you seem to be referring too."

No, actually. According to the Internet Movie Database, this film only took about $9 million US dollars worldwide. Hardly that succesful, really, in comparison to many of the other French movies that I listed that have had REAL worldwide success.

So, I still think that no matter what Play 24/7 say, the film isn't what I would label as "the second most successful French film ever"!

As for "The Big Blue", I think this is a great film as well, but like you said, it's not really a French movie, and it wasn't as succesful financially as some of Besson's other titles. Hence, my leaving it off of my short list.

Pooch

Pooch:

"The first Asterix film raked in over 110 million euros (97 million dollars) worldwide, without it ever being seen in the United States, leading Disney subsidiary Miramax to snap up the American rights to both movies last year. "
Source http://news.awse.com/01-Feb-2002/Entertainment/7903.htm

97 Million dollars without a US release is pretty good for a French film.

The Film actually took $2.7 Million on its first day in France:

"(PARIS) - "Asterix and Obelix Against Caesar," the most expensive French-language film
ever made, smashed first-day boxoffice records with more than 446,000
admissions when it bowed Wednesday, according to co-producers Renn Prods. The film, which
stars Gerard Depardieu, Christian Clavier and Roberto Benigni,
beat the previous record set by "Corridors of Time" (Visitors II), which attracted 423,000
on its opening day. The French boxoffice is only given in admissions, but
with the average ticket price of about $6, this equates to a gross of some $2.7 million.
The figures will come as a welcome relief to co-producer Claude Berri and
French media group Pathe, which put up the lion's share of the 274 million franc ($49
million) budget through its subsidiaries."

The Hollywood Reporter February 1999

and even EMAP describe 1999 as " a vintage year for French cinema abroad but which relied mostly on the success of Asterix And Obelix Take On Caesar" just 3 months ago in January this year.

And finnaly the Top ten in France in 1999 were:
"Film / Admissions (millions)
1. Asterix and Obelix versus Caesar (France) / 9
2. Tarzan (USA) / 7,9
3. Star Wars: Episode I (USA) / 7,3
4. Matrix (USA) / 4,7
5. Notting Hill (USA) / 4,5
6. The World Is Not Enough (USA) / 3,6
7. A Bug's Life (USA) / 3,2
8. The Mummy (USA) / 3,1
9. Wild Wild West (USA) / 3,1
10. The Messenger (France) / 3
"

with a special reference to "This upsurge in admissions can be partly attributed to the historic triumph of Asterix and Obelix versus Caesar." and "The standout performers of 1999 in movie theaters abroad were Asterix and Obelix versus Caesar, The Dinner Game, Taxi, The Dreamlife of Angels, Romance and Autumn Tale."
all from:
http://www.frenchculture.org

Need I go on? Your figure of 9million worldwide has to be wrong if the boxoffice figure of 9 million in France allone, and for only 1999, is to be believed! While the critics may have trashed this film, it can no be said it was not a success.

Regards

Der Pobman

Pooch-
BTW have you seen the US DVD of Big Blue? I am interested how good the DD5.1 mix of Eric Serras score is?

Regards

Der Pobman

Der Pobman,

Okay, you seem to have proven me wrong on this one. Fair's fair, and I admit defeat! ;)

As for the US DVD of "Le Grend Bleu", I'm afraid I don't own it, so can't comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the sound, picture or extras. Sorry!

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom