Assume I need a TV licence to use Sky Q box to record anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Do I need a TV licence to use my sky q box to record anything irrespective of what channel it's on? I'm desperate to cancel my license but the thought of crippling my sky q box when I'm in contract with Sky isn't that appealing really...

rpr

Google for a quick answer - Yes, you need a licence to watch or record any live TV programme, on any channel. ... This applies to any provider you use, including BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, BT TV, Apple TV, Now TV, YouTube, Roku and Amazon Prime Video.

winston2010

Do I need a TV licence to use my sky q box to record anything irrespective of what channel it's on? I'm desperate to cancel my license but the thought of crippling my sky q box when I'm in contract with Sky isn't that appealing really...
Especially as the Q box belongs to Sky not you.

Just pay your licence, there are far more expensive things to worry about.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Especially as the Q box belongs to Sky not you.

Just pay your licence, there are far more expensive things to worry about.
It's not the cost it's the principle

winston2010

What principle? You are probably not a criminal so do you object to paying for the police (through your taxes) on principle?

logiciel

You would have been right, once, on the cost, but for an hour a week of worthwhile stuff it’s getting close to not being worth it.:)

rpr

You would have been right, once, on the cost, but for an hour a week of worthwhile stuff it’s getting close to not being worth it.:)
Like so many things that's someone's opinion. The BBC supply more than there basic TV channels, if you choose not to avail yourself of what's on offer, doesn't make it less worthwhile.

Personally I don't have an issue with the license, use the Beeb's output a lot and no soddin' adverts.

TJT1

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Like shedloads per month shelled out to Sky. :rotfl:
The difference being you have a choice whether to pay Sky, and if you do then you also have to pay the BBC even if you never use their services.

I pay £15 p/m for Sky Signature, so £180 for a year. TV license is what, £160? Almost as much for almost nothing in my case. I don’t want the content and I’d rather not be made to pay for it.

What principle? You are probably not a criminal so do you object to paying for the police (through your taxes) on principle?
Are you seriously comparing as essential emergency service to a media provider? :thumbsdow

logiciel

Like shedloads per month shelled out to Sky. :rotfl:
Yes, and that’s getting close to not being worth it too.
The BBC‘s adverts for itself are at least as annoying as anybody else’s.

logiciel

Correct.

TJT1

Just a shame that most of the BBC employees seem to be left wing, ultra woke and give way to the tiniest minority groups.

logiciel

For ‘seem to be’ read ‘are’.

TJT1

That's exactly "wot I rote" in the first place logi. :rotfl: Then I changed it because I thought that it was just too direct, controversial and accusative.:eek:

logiciel

Until today you were right to give them the benefit of the doubt.
With today’s news they’ve gone too far for any of those to apply.:)

Last edited:

rpr

They're always the opposite of whoever's in Government apparently ;)

TJT1

Is that one of these factoids that you are starting in the hope that if it is repeated enough times people will believer it? :rotfl:

With today’s news they’ve gone too far for any of those to apply.:)
Are you saying that they are no longer "left wing, ultra woke and give way to the tiniest minority groups. "? If so, I humbly apologise for my defamatory statement above.

TJT1

:facepalm:

logiciel

No apology required - the reverse in fact.:D

Thread closed due to risk of thought police approaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom