1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assitance for an Utter Newbie? (on a budget)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Netvyper, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Netvyper

Netvyper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, so im new to this stuff... i've had more than a few scares with prices like £2800 all in and suchlike :eek:

im after a low budgest system, £100-150 on an Amp, the same again on speakers at a later date, to replace a "Kenwood Stereo Integrated Aplifier A-34" & "Kenwood LS-34" speakers. This kit was given to me, i have no idea how good it is, only that its not as good as the Harmon Kardon amp and some £300 speakers that my m8 has recently acquired :p

I watch plenty of movies & play lots of games, so im kinda leaning towards a surround system, however i do like my music too, often from internet radio, so a top quality stereo system isnt nessecary, and the primary input would be my PC, which doesnt posses a great soundcard, merely on-board with the nforce2, sound-forge or somthing :)

Due to the low budget, im not adverse to 2nd hand kit if thats what it will take to get decent stuff, but ofc, we all like shiney new toys :smashin:

if you could justify any reccomendations in n00b-speak it would be great,
    Many Thanks in advance,
    Netvyper

2. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that price range I'd recommend a Yamaha amp. None of the current x50 range are that cheap but you could probably find an RX-V440 or maybe 540 for that kind of price if you look around. In that price range you can get some great deals on discontinued/ex-display stuff.

Practically all my kit was aquired that way :thumbsup:

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    For that kind of budget, I'd suggest the classifieds on this forum, ex-dem equipment from your local dealer and maybe even eBay.

Yamaha & Denon do good multichannel amps (which is what I presume you're looking for). You won't be able to buy anything decent that's brand new for that money so best bet is second-hand :smashin: