Assistance with new Home Network

ollyrayns

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In two months time work is due to start on my complete apartment renovation.

I plan on having a wired home network in the apartment. So far I know:

My home server will be positioned in the small utilities room I plan to create off the kitchen / living room with my network switch being located to there and this to be the main hub where all the network cables are linked to.

I want both bedrooms to have a socket, and two more sockets in the living room (one by my htpc and another close to where I plan to position my desk)

The question is do I just need my electrician to route the cables in the walls/ ceilings to the central point (utilities room) and have my network switch there with the cables all plugged in?

I can provide a floor plan if anyone needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm either misunderstanding your question, or you've answered it yourself. Yes, of course you want your cables run back to where your network switch will be located. Normally the cables would terminate in a patch panel.

Is it just a IP network you are looking for or are you also looking to distribute HD Video ?

SO no requirement for distributing any other type of HD video such as Sky, Cable or Bluray ?

I don't agree, a reel of cat5e isn't expensive, neither are the sockets and fitting the sockets isn't hard either, and as he's having the apartment renovated he would be best running cables in. In my opinion home plugs should only be used as a last resort, they can cause various problems and never work as well as a network cable.

Well m2ts are blu Ray files that I have saved to my server so they are full size, uncompressed blu rays which is why homeplugs don't work as they don't give enough bandwidth.
As for distribution of sky, I'd like that but living in an apartment I only have one sky feed to the living room. I'm unsure how people do that mirror whatever the sky box is showing in one room to another.. Does it lose quality? Can you switch the chanel without going into the other room?

I got an electrician to route my cables, they all lead back to a switch under the stairs. I don't have sky or anything just files on my server. I would add more sockets to each location though. I have four in each bedroom and six in the living room. Might aswell add more now as it'll be a pain add them in later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom