Question Assistance setting up new TV with soundsystem, ps4 and tivo

dav88

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm currently just setting up my new Sony 49xe9005 and struggling to work out the best setup in terms of connections.

I also own a PS4 standard edition, a Virgin Tivo box and a Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar.

Basically what I'd like is to enable HDR on my PS4 (although I'm not sure if this setting is just for games or movies and games? or even how important it is). I also would like to use my soundbar to get 5.1 dolby, master audio, etc. etc. as I did in my previous setup.

However, I can't get HDR enabled - in the PS4 settings - if I run the connection to my YSP-2500. I presume the soundbar is outdated and unable to run 4k inputs? I've also tried directly connecting the PS4 to HDMI 2 on my TV and it worked. But now I'm aware that my soundbar won't be using it's full capacity as it'll be going through ARC.

Furthermore, I now can't even seem to access my soundbar settings now that it's going through ARC and the remote for it seems useless. I didn't have this issue on my last TV.

I'd appreciate any assistance in getting the setup right. I'm aware I may not be able to get all of these asks as my technology probably doesn't allow it but if anyone could advise how I should set up it'd be really appreciated.

Best wishes

Dave

The method Sony use to pass HDR from the PS4's HDMI 1.4 port is against standard specs and is probably why it only works when connected directly to the TV.

The sound bar, even if you had the PS4 pro wouldn't support switching HDMI to your TV through it whilst maintaining HDR as its an older model that pre dates the HDR HDMI requirements of HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 copy protection.

Therefore you either connect directly to the TV and use that as a switch instead of your soundbar, but as you have already seen that means that you lose any OSD or HD audio.

The cheapest fix would be a HDMI splitter, but it still wouldn't get you OSD, only HD audio.

The other fix is a new soundbar which supports HDR standards, but even then since Sony's use of HDMI 1.4 and passing HDR isn't within the HDMI specs there is a possibility this may only work with the pro, not the standard PS4. I'm not 100% sure though. Hopefully someone else using the standard PS4 with a HDMI 2.0a receiver/soundbar can answer.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for your response!

I've currently set it up as follows:

ysp 2500 to the tv via hdmi (ARC)
PS4 connected to the ysp 2500 via hdmi
tivo connected to the tv via hdmi

I've managed to get on screen display for the soundbar with that configuration. So I assume I can now access dolby, etc albeit meaning I can't use the PS4's HDR functionality.

I'm not really in the market for another soundbar as this works perfectly well. So if I was to purchase a splitter, for example the one you've referenced above, would I simply?

use an hdmi cable from my ps4 to the splitter
use a seperate HDMI cable to go from the splitter to the HDMI 2 on the tv
use another HDMI cable to go from the splitter to the soundbar

If I was to those steps I assume I'd be able to get HDR on my ps4 whilst utilising my soundbar for dolby etc?

If that seems correct please let me know as that seems the most sensible option!

Best wishes

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom