1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assistance Required With Ambitious VHS to DVD-R Project

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm planning on getting the HS2 very shortly, but I'm gathering as much info as I can beforehand (mainly from this forum).

I plan on using the PC as some stage so at the mo I have....

PC Spec

Win XP Pro
    TMPG Enc DVD Author software
    LG 4040B DVD writer
    LG DVD Rom
    AMD 900 MHz CPU
    512 mb SDRAM
    Approx 20 gig HD free workspace (7200rpm, ATA 100)

Is this spec good enough for DVD authoring/writing?

I figure I may need more HD space.

The Project

OK, one of the main reasons I want a DVD Recorder, like a lot of other people is to archive old VHS recordings to DVD.
    And I have a VERY old recording.
    It's a 21 year old VHS C4 broadcast recording of a concert (for the record Queen Live at Milton Keynes 82 ).

This is an 80 minute concert....BUT, I also have a more recent recording in superior SVHS, but it's an edited 45 minute version off VH1.

So as far as getting the 'full' 80 min version onto DVD-R, I have two options....

1) Simply transfer the VHS version to DVD-R

or (more ambitiously)

2) Merge the two, using ALL the S-VHS version and add the required ('missing') VHS clips.
    Although this may look a little odd with the constant changing in pic and sound quality, as well as the VH1 DOG logo appearing and dissappearing!

Never the less, can it be done, seamlessy as ONE TITLE with menus and chapter markers for each song, bearing in mind that the clips will need to be mixed from two different sources throughout.
    i.e. it's not just a case of simply recording one version then tagging the other version on the end.

Has anybody done anything similar?
    Not necessarily with SVHS AND VHS.

Many Thanks

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have successfully mixed Beta and V8 without problems, however 20GB is not much.

My analogue capture runs at 1.2GB per minute as DV capture is noisy yet DV is not:confused: :confused: so after capturing I DV encode and it is fine.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    With the hs2 you can create a playlist of parts from both recordings and recreate the original recording in its entirety with the better recordings inserted as required. It will then dub as one recording