assistance needed, new tv 42 inch

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by peaky101, Feb 28, 2014.

1. peaky101

peaky101
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all I'm Looking for a tv in or around 600 quid, smart features and 3d not especially needed.

Used for console gaming and sport viewing. Room is bright most of the time.

2. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    For gaming in a bright room then it has to be a Sony LED. They have the lowest input lag of any brand.

You can get last years 42" W653 for under £500 but it has two hdmi ports.

Sony BRAVIA KDL42W653A Black | 42 inch LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Or you could look at the new W7 which is pretty much the same TV but has 4 hdmi ports and an extra USB.

Sony BRAVIA KDL42W705B Black | 42 inch LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Sony KDL42W705B/ KDL42W705 (W7) Review

And last but not least is last years Sony W8. This will handle motion better than the two above but its contrast performance will not be as good in dark viewing conditions as it has an LG IPS panel;

Sony BRAVIA KDL42W805A | 42 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

The new W8 is supposed to have a different panel which should improve the contrast performance. I guess it will be £700+ though. It is not available in 42" at the moment.

If you have a Richer Sounds store near you I would check them out.

3. peaky101

peaky101
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its such a vast price difference in the first two if the only difference is the hdmi ports. im i correct in saying for the gaming and sport side of thing its the refresh rate i'm looking at to be above par ?

sadly ive never heard of richer sounds from where i'm from.

4. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Well if you are connecting more than two devices you will have to fork out for an hdmi switcher. Kinomo make a very good one for £15. You will also need an extra hdmi cable for £5. So you would still be making a saving of around £100 by going for last years W6. Its a good solution but obviously not as 'neat' and practical as having everything plugged directly into TV.

Personally I much prefer the design of the W7 as it doesn't have the rectangular whatsit on the front!

I think it might also have a new smart interface but not 100% about that.

I am not the most clued up when it comes to tech but as far as I understand for gaming the important aspects of a TV's performance are input lag and ghosting/double images.

The W6 has excellent input lag but the low refresh rate of the panel (50hz I believe) means that there will be some ghosting as the TV can't keep up with the fast paced movement being displayed.

A TV with a high refresh rate (100hz+) will appear much smoother and likelike.

Obviously if you want both then it will cost you. The new W8 looks to be a winner already because it delivers both plus good black levels and contrast.

Plus if you haven't actually seen the difference a higher refresh rate delivers then you won't be missing anything!