1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

assembley of big 36inch crt tvs from new how do u get them out of there box??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gunsnroses76, Aug 9, 2005.

1. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well this tv is going back but i wanted to know when youget the box delivered how do you get them out of the box, as this 36 tv is to heavy to lift out of the box, no grip on fron as polostering in the way from underneath we can only grip the back of tv, which is obvioulsy is not enough, there are some kind of box intructions on the box but i cant make them out, do u turn the box while the tv is still in it on its side, then open the bottom of box to give you access to the bottom of the tv to fix a stand to it, then once thats done turn it upgright and then its done, is that how you do these, as its impossible tolift this tv out of its box, any advice from peeps who have had 36inch crt tvs boxed from new before will help. many thanks in advance.

2. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 36" Panny out by cutting the box with a Stanley knife down all 4 sides. Lifted one side of the tv up and pulled the polystyrene out, then did the same to the other side. My neighbour gave me a lift with it ,though we had to keep putting it down every 3 feet as it was so heavy.

3. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, yeah i cant do this because i wont be able to get my money back if i break the box, thats why i want to keep the box because if for any reason im not happy with tv you cant put back in box as now busted, just thought i could fix the stand to it if i just turn the box on its side then open the bottom of the flaps of the box then somehow fix the stand to it there, once the stand is fully fixed, then somehow me and my bro just lift the box back off its side upgright again only this time it be standing on its stand but with the box still attached to it but then all you do is lift the box right off then roll it on its stand to where you want it, this way theres no carrying or lifting the tv out of its box involved, does anyone think this is a good idear or not?

4. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    bear with me for 2 mins...

5. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ok, just took pics

finished setting up my 36" Toshiba and struggled to get it out of the box even with the grab area at the back (shame it wasnt like my 32" JVC which has them neatly integrated at the side!) - anyway, like billystevo I cut the front of the box open to get at it (see 1st pic - I can still send it back if needbe, plenty of cellotape etc) but failed to notice this on the TOP of the box DOH! (see 2nd pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/MADANDY1/Picture617.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/MADANDY1/Picture616.jpg

Hope this helps

cheers

6. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hang on, ive just read your other post stating that its the 36zp48 that you have bought - hence you should have the same instructions as me telling you to turn it upside down and slide the box off the TV - simple!

btw, i read you bought it from argos too.... did you pay £1,100??? If so, you do realise its available from loads of stores on the web for £749???

7. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cant work out how to get a tv out of a box?
    I guess working the remote may really stump ya!

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,720
    As Mad Andy says.

You turn the box upside down, open the bottom of the box, hold the flaps against the side of the box while you return it upright then lift the box off the telly. You need to take care removing the polystyrene packing from the TV as it's all too easy to snap them.

9. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its ok i did what mad andy said, thanks man for the photos, i followed the intructions in your photo, these are also on my box but i dident take any notice of it, first glance i just thought it was saying this is a cardboard box or somthink, anyway all done now, my only prob is we got it set up in the kitchen on a table but i originally wanted in my bedroom but they wouldent carrry upstairs thats why i ordered it for to go in my bedroom upstairs, the argos lady on phone said you just tell them what room you want it in and there do it even stairs as long as the stair case was not to narrow and if they thought it wouldent damage property they will do it but the driver seemed already tired from getting it to the door, it would of been fine but he was the only strong one and he had this teenage kid with him so probably maybe thats why he dident go for it, i would of helped tho, so i just play it in the kitchen untill someone from argos comes around to collect it.

10. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yeah i did know it was cheaper elsewhere like £749 and yes i did pay 1100 for it, it comes with a toshiba dvd recorder aswell but to be honest i dident want the recorder, main reason i choosed argos was because if there was any probs then its easy to get a refund where as with other companys its not, i mean other companys probably wouldent except refund just because i wanted it upstairs and i had already opened it aswell and set it up in the kitchen on a table but i have to put it all back in box again ready for argos as it wasent ordered to go in this room, i never erected the stan thats still boxed, only trouble im having is getting threw to argos direct your left listening to music for 45mins and still no one answers the phone been trying all day to get threw. also in there cataloge it never mentions that it weighs 85kg.

11. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ouch, another £350 is a pretty big gamble, however sounds like your not aware of something called Distance Selling Regulations.

Basically, the DSR states that products such as this that you buy from an internet store are subject to a 7 working day (starting from the day -after- delivery hence always best to have stuff delivered on a Thursday as that way you get two weekends in with the 7 working days and the last day being a Monday when you can phone up and choose to use the DSR to return it), anyway, subject to a 7 working day home trial as without physically seeing the size of the TV, the performance of the TV etc etc etc you wont know whether it fits in with your needs and wants until you have it. EVERY UK website is governed by this rule, as well as them stating there own ie return UNUSED stock in AS NEW condition within X days etc, this is NOT DSR, with DSR you CAN unbox and use and return them if you dont like (although the return cost is down to yourself, but this is fair enough ie imagine how many people order huge plasmas for a party then send them back under the DSR), so best thing to do mate, send it back to Argos, then buy from somewhere off the web with a good rep, ask if they will deliver to your upstairs then pay far less (as an example I paid £595 for mine - nearly half the price of yours, although I did choose to go for the 36zp46 rather than 48 as I didnt need the surround)

More info:
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/distsell.htm

As said, a lot of site dont mention the DSR (no wonder!) but Comet do which is good on there part, see here:

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Argos replaced my faulty video camera at nearly 2 years old without a quibble. I can't see the average internet supplier doing that! I didn't even need to mention the sale of goods act. Indeed as they gave me the money back that I had originally paid, I was able to get a much better replacement as prices had dropped considerably since then.

It is a lot more to pay though so I would probably go the internet supplier route to.

13. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thats very unusual... but wondering if they assumed you had taken out there 'New for Old' replacement cover which would make sense

14. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no did not know what dsr is but ill definitly get my cash back cause at the end of the day there argos the no quibble company, also you said you paid half price for yours, but the 46p verison not only dosent it have speakers but it dosent have a optical out on the back, it dosent have dolby digital like the 48p version.

15. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Dolby Digital element is the same as the speakers, ie it comes with surround speakers because it has Dolby Digital... but for me this is no use, ie the only Dolby Digital 5.1 sources I will be feeding the TV are visual only from my surround sound DVD player, hence the only use the speakers are is if they are being fed a dolby digital source from a device which doesnt have its own surround sound system ie a DVD player without 5.1, or Sky+ (select channels/programs) and as I only have Sky (which I feed the audio in to my DVD player anyway and use that surround), having the speakers would be pretty useless and pointless for me, and I would say to most people too as most people nowadays have DVD players with surround (and hence the last thing they want is -another- set of speakers in the room!) :)

If you dont have a surround sound DVD player (or even a DVD player at all!) then if you like the idea of having the speakers/Dolby Digital go for the 48p, but be aware that unless you feed it a 5.1 source, the best you will get is Dolby Pro-Logic or a Toshiba 'super surround' style option which tries to split a stereo signal into front and rear etc, but you wont automatically get 5.1 digital surround purely because the TV can do it, so dont waste your money if this is what you were hoping for! :)

16. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure that *most* people have dvd players with surround sound - i'd say most have dvd players without.. i use the digital in from my dvd player and from sky+ to do the audio..

btw the 3*zp48 have optical and coaxial INPUTS, no outputs.

tbh, you shouldnt have much difficulty getting it upstairs - at nigh on 90kg it is fairly heavy but not restrictively so - i used to have to carry my 28" tv around myself (flat 100hz screen), and it was heavy, but not impossible, and cirtainly over 1/2 the weight of the 36zp48.

i made sure before i ordered that the delivery comp would carry it up the stairs to my flat and into the living room.. no way i'm leaving it outside all day :)

17. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah but the 36inch tosh is not just heavy its also long and wide and even if i did get it upstairs, if u ever need to take it down for some reason that is also stress full, i dont like to have these worrys on my head.

18. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well mine arrived today.. the delivery company wouldnt take it upstairs, which is annoying because i checked this before i ordered. still me and the musses got it up, and i found it pretty easy to get out of the box using the instructions on the outside. had to do this in the hall to my flat then carry it in, lol :)

19. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how the heck did your misses help carry it up? lol

20. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have to 'roll' the box up the stairs. just as it sounds. she stood above it and checked the leading edge was solidly on a step, and steadied it when i adjusted my grip. when we carried it inside she was able to hold it thou - 40kg/person isnt *that* much

21. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

cool, so did you roll it up long ways or roll it up side ways, i mean was the box on its side or upright when you used this rolling technique? i assume you rolled it when it was in the box and not out of it?

22. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    longways - so tall end over tall end. it wouldnt go up the stairs sideways.

i'd not opened the box at this point. more protection the better imo

23. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a great techique idear that worked, its got me thinking now, i might put my one back in its box and do what you did to get it up the stairs as thats where i wanted it originaly, however both the flaps from top to bottom have been opened so i would need to seal them up bloody good as i wouldent want tv falling out during the rolling technique due to poor parcel tape holding the flaps down.

24. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah just tape em up again.

25. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

120Kg's with stand! Really good design though-box lifts off.

26. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand the tosh can convert a nicam signal into 5.1 through its circuitry so I am tol,d though I reckon its more like Pro Logic 4 speaker sound than 5.1, but maybe its possible.
    As you all know, if dolby pro logic encoding is in the two stereo sound channels, a suitable decoder will output 4 spkr sound, maybe the tosh goes one further and adds to the sub in some way.

27. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yeah havent tried yet, im wondering if i can try this rolling technique by myself without any help, as nobody wants to help when i ask, so have to do everythink myself, so it be good idear to keep the empty box for when u need to move it up and down stairs or where ever, most people chuck there boxes away, so if a time came when they had to move there 36" tv there pretty fu.ked when it comes to getting up/down stairs well at least much much more difficult without the box.

28. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it wouldnt be that bad, you'd just need 2 strongish lads to carry it down again