Asrock Vision 3D HTPC - Owners Thread

ArmitageShanks said:
I find this seems to be a common problem with most mobile gfx cards. Usually it's some sort of OEM version than needs dedicated drivers from Dell/HP/ASRock etc rather than the generic ones. I haven't had any reason to install the very latest drivers from nVidia, but JeffD's workaround worked nicely the last time I did this :smashin:

Yep it did the job and installed fine. :)

Hi Jeff, thanks for going to the trouble of investigating and posting this fix you detailed in #96. Just a quick question- i have the 252B Sandy Bridge with the GT540M- when like many here, I encountered the problem of loading the latest drivers, I simply installed the non-netbook driver- the one for the GT545. It loaded fine. Does it matter to the performance, etc, that I am using the "wrong drivers"?
Actually as stated in the FAQ link http://www.asrock.com/support/qa/TSDQA-86.pdf, this the standard way to update drivers. I have several media streamers, and i am now considering buying an ASROCK VISION 3D 137D. Can anyone confirm that true 24p stuttering issues are resolved with latest Nvidia drivers?

Hello, I have upgraded my Vision 3D to Windows 8 and encountered quite a disaster.

None of the nvidia drivers work so I cannot use the proper screen resolutions, also no audio from HDMI either, and finally none of the BIOS settings are detected so the machine cannot even go to sleep :(

I have emailed ASrock and logged a support request but essentially it seems I am stuck with a machine that is useless for Windows 8 because ASRock have no drivers available.

Has anyone managed to get this working? I have the i3 version of the Vision 3d with the 425M GPU.

Many thanks

Just to answer my own question -- I finally manage to sort this out after several days messaging around. Now everything works great - proper GPU acceleration, sleep mode, the works .. actually the Vision 3D looks pretty great with Windows 8 Pro running on it :))

All you need to do is install the Geforce Desktop drivers for Geforce 420 (version 306.97) from the Nvidia site -- god knows why the mobile ones don't detect the card but the Geforece 420 desktop ones do and install perfectly.

I also installed the Windows 7 64-bit Asrock instant boot utility again and now I also have proper sleep mode.

NB: If the desktop drivers fail to install, go to settings, advanced startup on Windows 8 and disable the driver verification. (I did this as a precaution but I reckon you probably won't even need to do this with the desktop drivers as they should be signed).

Cheers

That's good to know if I ever take the plunge on Windows 8! :)

CrisB, did you only install those 2 components ? how about the rest ? any ideas when ASRock will release a full package compatible with Win8 ?

Hi, I've been debating getting the VisionX and just wondered whether anyone had got one already? I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts on them before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance

Hi just bought a secondhand asrock vision 3D 252B, seems to run hot. Can any other asrock vision owners confirm does there machine run hot? Mine might need a clean.

Last edited:
9 years on and mine is still going strong- any other owners of the ASRock 3D HTPC out there :)
I decommissioned mine about two months ago. I just wasn't watching any broadcast TV anymore and it's been sitting idle for over a year and was painfully slow. Pity, as I'd upgraded it to 8GB and a 1TB SSD with Windows 10.

I decommissioned mine about two months ago. I just wasn't watching any broadcast TV anymore and it's been sitting idle for over a year and was painfully slow. Pity, as I'd upgraded it to 8GB and a 1TB SSD with Windows 10.
I've just got mine back from "sabbatical" with a family member and updated it to windows 10 after which I noticed that it could possibly benefit from a RAM upgrade, can I ask which RAM you used ?

I've just got mine back from "sabbatical" with a family member and updated it to windows 10 after which I noticed that it could possibly benefit from a RAM upgrade, can I ask which RAM you used ?
I bought this from Amazon:

Crucial CT2KIT51264BF160B 8 GB Kit (4 GB x 2) (DDR3L, 1600 MT/s, PC3L-12800, SODIMM, 204-Pin) Memory

I ended up having to ditch the existing 2x2GB modules, which is a shame. With this upgrade and the SSD it's a LOT more responsive and useable, but it fell victim to my changed viewing habits in the end. I've since swapped back the old clunky HDD and used the SSD in my gaming PC.

Sorry, I should have said- I have upgraded mine to 8GB Ram and a 2TB Samsung Evo SSD 850. I have Windows 10 but I have hacked it to have Windows MCE- it's the sole reason I got into HTPC. I have it hooked up a Silicon Dust quad network tuner supplying freeview tv to this but also my laptops and phones.

BUT it is a little temperemntal. The Intel graphics card seems to have "disappeared"- causing it to blue screen every so often- but especailly difficult getting it to update to latest windows "patch". I had to change the Blu-ray disc inside it 5 years ago when the old one broke. It is slow at loading the photos side of MCE- but I still love the professinal look of MCE's pan and zoom of photos matched with music- I have never moved onto Kodi etc. Also, it does not like staying asleep!

I got it when I had a tiny living room and replaced a larger Sony VGX XL100- which I liked and had room for tv tuners inside. Since then my ASRock has fitted in my hand luggage and been taken 1/2 way round the world for job/life in the USA- all with entire collection of my family's photos, music and films- and yet not a DVD, CD or photo album in sight. I now have room for a "proper" PC in the living room- but due to streaming services- Spotify/Netflix I just don't use the HTPC so much- plus the smartTV has Youtube etc built in. I will probably see if I can get 3-5 more years out of it... :)

Sorry, I should have said- I have upgraded mine to 8GB Ram and a 2TB Samsung Evo SSD 850. I have Windows 10 but I have hacked it to have Windows MCE- it's the sole reason I got into HTPC. I have it hooked up a Silicon Dust quad network tuner supplying freeview tv to this but also my laptops and phones.

BUT it is a little temperemntal. The Intel graphics card seems to have "disappeared"- causing it to blue screen every so often- but especailly difficult getting it to update to latest windows "patch". I had to change the Blu-ray disc inside it 5 years ago when the old one broke. It is slow at loading the photos side of MCE- but I still love the professinal look of MCE's pan and zoom of photos matched with music- I have never moved onto Kodi etc. Also, it does not like staying asleep!

I got it when I had a tiny living room and replaced a larger Sony VGX XL100- which I liked and had room for tv tuners inside. Since then my ASRock has fitted in my hand luggage and been taken 1/2 way round the world for job/life in the USA- all with entire collection of my family's photos, music and films- and yet not a DVD, CD or photo album in sight. I now have room for a "proper" PC in the living room- but due to streaming services- Spotify/Netflix I just don't use the HTPC so much- plus the smartTV has Youtube etc built in. I will probably see if I can get 3-5 more years out of it... :)
I'm simply using an Apple TV for everything now (other than Blu-rays). Music, photos, streaming services etc are all cloud-based, and it's a lot lighter and much smaller than the ASRock. Plus it can play casual games if I'm really bored. I've taken it on a few holidays with me - as long as there's good wifi available it works brilliantly.

The ASRock was a great TiVo replacement for me when TiVo pulled out of the UK, but the world has changed. 🙂

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom