Asrock Core 100 HT-BD

Thanks for the first impressions, rjg2, i'm very tempted in buying this.

Just one quick question, any problems during the Windows 7 install with drivers? ... or was it all straightforward?

Was all very straight forward, just installed windows 7 64bit and then the driver dvd that came with the system and everything is detected and working correctly.

The only extra thing I did was updated the intel graphics driver on the intel website with the latest version, which was only a few revisions higher but thought it was best to have the latest. The intel website automatically checks your hardware and shows the only the relevant drivers which is pretty nifty.

My username has changed from rjg2 to EvertonMonkey just incase there is any confusion with the post above that have rjg2 in.

Is there any chance from this HTPC to playback 3D movies from the BD unit on a TV set.
Thank you in advance.

Gabriel B.

Is there any chance from this HTPC to playback 3D movies from the BD unit on a TV set.
Thank you in advance.

Gabriel B.
I think that is only supported with certain NVidia chipsets, this one has Intel, so probably not.

I think Asrock are releasing a 3d version called the Vision 3D with Nvidia graphics. YouTube - ASRock Vision 3D HTPC Exclusive Hands-on in Taipei
This looks it's going to be a (very expensive) monster:eek:! As far as I can tell it is using Intel® Core™ i7-920XM quad core, review here, the graphics is less clear, possibly a prototype, but I think he said NVidia MXM, based on GeForce 400 series, as you can see from the table here all 400 series GPUs have full 3D functionality.

Last edited:
This looks it's going to be a (very expensive) monster:eek:! As far as I can tell it is using Intel® Core™ i7-920XM quad core, review here, the graphics is less clear, possibly a prototype, but I think he said NVidia MXM, based on GeForce 400 series, as you can see from the table here all 400 series GPUs have full 3D functionality.
This could be the chipset it is running GTX 480M, quoted by Anandtech as "officially the fastest mobile GPU available", Tomshardware review here.

Hi first post here! EvertonMonkey - how do you find Iplayer High Definition (HD) streaming with the ASROCK 100HT-BD. I'm thinking of buying one primarily to allow streaming of Iplater HD content to my Sony 40inch TV and have read several reviews of this htpc. I could also build an HTPC - but time is lacking, so this seems a great option if it meets my main goal of being able to stream Iplayer HD streams without issues.

Also any other comments now you've presumably had time to use this box further?

Thanks

My second question was around noise. Now I know that's a subjective issue - but how do you find it?

Hi first post here! EvertonMonkey - how do you find Iplayer High Definition (HD) streaming with the ASROCK 100HT-BD. I'm thinking of buying one primarily to allow streaming of Iplater HD content to my Sony 40inch TV and have read several reviews of this htpc. I could also build an HTPC - but time is lacking, so this seems a great option if it meets my main goal of being able to stream Iplayer HD streams without issues.

Also any other comments now you've presumably had time to use this box further?

Thanks

No had any problems with Iplayer HD, plays well and picture is really good. Its easily powerful enough to run that kind of thing and so far I haven't found anything it wont do (not tried games, coz thats not what I use it for). As I said in a previous post, it doesnt seem that much slower to my 3ghz Core2Duo. Would still highly recommend it, having used it for around 2 weeks.

My second question was around noise. Now I know that's a subjective issue - but how do you find it?

So far I havent noticed any noise, well not above the noise of the Sky HD box hdd.

No had any problems with Iplayer HD, plays well and picture is really good. Its easily powerful enough to run that kind of thing and so far I haven't found anything it wont do (not tried games, coz thats not what I use it for). As I said in a previous post, it doesnt seem that much slower to my 3ghz Core2Duo. Would still highly recommend it, having used it for around 2 weeks.

So far I havent noticed any noise, well not above the noise of the Sky HD box hdd.

PS - Spotify sounds awesome through my 5300ES over HDMI.

So I went ahead and bought the Asrock 100HT-BD and so far am pleased with the purchase with the exception of one niggling issue. I have the machine connected up to my Sony KDL-40S5500 HD TV and intermittently I get a blank/black screen - which lasts for 1 second or less and then things are back to normal. The two devices are directly connected over HDMI. There is nothing else on the screen when this occurs (e.g I don't see the input being listed or anything).

I can't find any pattern to this behaviour. It can go for 10-15 minutes or more without occurring, then occur 3 or 4 times in relatively quick succession. I've done a fair bit of searching on the web but so far none of the suggestions have helped. I don't know if the problem is the TV or the new machine. I updated the Intel HD graphics drivers but the problem still persists.

EvertonMonkey - have you noticed any problems like this?

Thanks

Meant to add - this occurs when surfing the web, streaming HD or SD content from iplayer - so doesn't seem limited to specific content types.

So I went ahead and bought the Asrock 100HT-BD and so far am pleased with the purchase with the exception of one niggling issue. I have the machine connected up to my Sony KDL-40S5500 HD TV and intermittently I get a blank/black screen - which lasts for 1 second or less and then things are back to normal. The two devices are directly connected over HDMI. There is nothing else on the screen when this occurs (e.g I don't see the input being listed or anything).

I can't find any pattern to this behaviour. It can go for 10-15 minutes or more without occurring, then occur 3 or 4 times in relatively quick succession. I've done a fair bit of searching on the web but so far none of the suggestions have helped. I don't know if the problem is the TV or the new machine. I updated the Intel HD graphics drivers but the problem still persists.

EvertonMonkey - have you noticed any problems like this?

Thanks

Not noticed this on mine but I will keep an eye out for it.

I have mine connected to a Sony STR-DA5300ES av amp via HDMI. Sounds strange though, what resolution are you using (assume 1080p). Also have you tried a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI port on your tv ?

I just tried a different HDMI cable tonight and get the same issue. I've also tried 3 of 3 of the hdmi ports and see the same problem. Right now I have it connected up via VGA as a test and so far I haven't seen the issue, though obviously this is not an ideal solution as the quality is inferior when compared with hdmi. I've also tried dropping down the resolution to 720p but still see the same issue.

I really don't know whether this is an issues with the asrock ht100, the Sony KDL-40S5500 at this stage. The only other device I have with an hdmi port is an DVD player. I tried connecting that up over HDMI and didn't see the problem. However I'm not sure how valid a test that is.

Would be interested to know if you do see this issue or have any other ideas.

Thanks

I just tried a different HDMI cable tonight and get the same issue. I've also tried 3 of 3 of the hdmi ports and see the same problem. Right now I have it connected up via VGA as a test and so far I haven't seen the issue, though obviously this is not an ideal solution as the quality is inferior when compared with hdmi. I've also tried dropping down the resolution to 720p but still see the same issue.

I really don't know whether this is an issues with the asrock ht100, the Sony KDL-40S5500 at this stage. The only other device I have with an hdmi port is an DVD player. I tried connecting that up over HDMI and didn't see the problem. However I'm not sure how valid a test that is.

Would be interested to know if you do see this issue or have any other ideas.

Thanks

Not really had chance to have a go over the last couple of days with work, but should get a chance over the weekend and will let you know if I notice it.

PokAlice - Well I've been using it all day today and other than when you get the user access control dialog up when running a program, I havent had any occurences of the screen a blank screen when browsing or watching videos.

The only thing I've noticed today was some jittering when playing stuff off Sky Player, it doesnt happen when using Youtube (+HD) or BBC (+HD) so its just a problem with sky player. When I say "Jittering" its not unwatchable, but the pic seems to stutter like the frame rate is low or something. I could post a video if someone thinks it would help. I think sky player uses silverlight and silverlight supports GPU acceleration (not that it should need it as the pc should be powerfull enough), so not sure exactly whats causing it. I'm pretty sure its not my connection speed as I get 17mbps and watch bbc hd and hd trailers no problem.

I think sky player uses silverlight and silverlight supports GPU acceleration (not that it should need it as the pc should be powerfull enough), so not sure exactly whats causing it. I'm pretty sure its not my connection speed as I get 17mbps and watch bbc hd and hd trailers no problem.
I don't think Silverlight supports full DXVA as Flash does, only scaling and compositing, see here .

I don't think Silverlight supports full DXVA as Flash does, only scaling and compositing, see here .

Intresting could this be the problem ? I'm gonna try downloading a movie from sky player instead of streaming and see if that works.

Intresting could this be the problem ? I'm gonna try downloading a movie from sky player instead of streaming and see if that works.

Yep I think its Silverlight that may be the problem. After downloading the same video, it plays in media player and work fine. Shame Silverlight doesnt work, as I would prefer to stream the movies instead of having to download them all the time.

@ PokAlice, just wondering where you bought your Asrock 100HT-BD mate and how much it was?

@ PokAlice, just wondering where you bought your Asrock 100HT-BD mate and how much it was?

I got mine at micomonline for £552 without os (£76 extra for Win 7 Home Premium OEM), but it doesnt look as though they are in stock any more and looking around the web seem to be short on supply.

Yeah, they are definately in short supply online. There is probably a huge stock of the ASROCK ION 330's that retailers will want to clear first:rolleyes: The ion 330's can be gotten for around £250 - £300 right now, how long do you think it will take the CORE 100 to drop to that price range? I really want to hold out for the Core 100 due to playback issues/fan noise problems with the ion 330's...might have to wait until after xmas until the price drops:eek:

I take it you are very happy with yours mate? I currently have a Popcornhour C-200 which has been RMA'd once(9 months old) and I'd like to move onto a htpc for greater flexibility before my warranty runs out in October.

Yeah, they are definately in short supply online. There is probably a huge stock of the ASROCK ION 330's that retailers will want to clear first:rolleyes: The ion 330's can be gotten for around £250 - £300 right now, how long do you think it will take the CORE 100 to drop to that price range? I really want to hold out for the Core 100 due to playback issues/fan noise problems with the ion 330's...might have to wait until after xmas until the price drops:eek:

I take it you are very happy with yours mate? I currently have a Popcornhour C-200 which has been RMA'd once(9 months old) and I'd like to move onto a htpc for greater flexibility before my warranty runs out in October.

Yeah very happy with mine, check back through the thread and you can see my general impressions of it as a HTPC.

Not sure if it will drop to the prices you quoted as the hardware is a fair step up from the ION 330. If you read the reviews its about 2 x more powerful using the new mobile core i3 processor, so the extra price is justified. I dont think the core 100 is a replacement for the ION 330 just and addition to the mini pc range.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom