• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Asrock Core 100 HT-BD

EvertonMonkey

Looking at one of these as a HTPC,. It will only be running media center, sky player and media player (that kind of thing). It looks pretty good to me 1080p and hd audio bitstream via HDMI, but what do you guys think?

ASROCK CORE 100HT-BD/B BLACK BBONE
Product Group:Systems
Manufacturer:ASROCK
SKU:102804
Product Name:ASROCK CORE 100HT-BD/B BLACK
Web Address:ASRock Inc.
Model Number:100HT-BD/B
Package Type:Retail
Warranty:2 Years
Case Type:Small Form Factor
CPU:Intel I3-330M
Memory Supplied:4GB
Memory Sockets:2 x SO-DIMM DDR3 800/1066
Storage Interface:2 x S-ATA
Hard Drive:2.5" 500GB S-ATA
Optical Drive:BD Combo
Graphics:INTEL HD Graphics
Chipset:HM55 Express
Audio:7.1 Channel with THX TruStudio Pro
LAN:Gigabit LAN
Wireless NIC:Integrated IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Front I/O:
2 x USB 3.0
1 x Microphone
1 x Headphone-out jack
Rear I/O:
6 x USB 2.0
1 x 15-pin D-sub
1 x eSATA II
1 x Giga Lan
Audio Out (S/PDIF Out) jack
HDMI Out (up to 1080p)
1 x Microphone
4 x Audio
Width:195mm
Height:70mm
Depth:186mm
Net Weight:1.8kg
Gross Weight (Kg):3.2kg
Package Contents:
1 x AC adapter
1 x S-ATA Data Lead
1 x S-ATA Power Lead
1 x Support CD
4 x Mounting screws
Remote Control
Mouse mat

jameson_uk

Looking at one of these as a HTPC,. It will only be running media center, sky player and media player (that kind of thing). It looks pretty good to me 1080p and hd audio bitstream via HDMI, but what do you guys think?
Only thing which would put me off really is Intel's inability to playback material at 23.976Hz. Not sure if anyone who has a Clarkdale setup can comment but I am farily sure there are still issues with tearing.

EvertonMonkey

Only thing which would put me off really is Intel's inability to playback material at 23.976Hz. Not sure if anyone who has a Clarkdale setup can comment but I am farily sure there are still issues with tearing.

Is that something that would be fixable by drivers or is it a hardware issue / limitation ?

EvertonMonkey

Think I may have changed my mind about this one, I can get it for around £560 with the blu-ray option, but from what I've been told it doesnt include a os. So I would need to shell out for Windows 7 (preferred) which makes it a pretty expensive setup. Shame as it looked really good.

Last edited:

jensrow

Are you sure that applies to the new chipsets- this review suggests the 2010 Intel HD is a lot improved over the old Intel x4500 gfx.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Have been keeping quite a close eye on the Clarkdale 24p issues - they're discussed at great length over at AVSForum.

The bottom line appears to be that Intel STILL haven't got to grips with 24p properly, and can't cope properly with 23.976Hz content at that refresh rate, and instead run at 24.000Hz meaning that every 40" or so you get a frame repetition (which is visible on motion and only invisible on static content) ISTR that they also have the same issue with 59.94Hz stuff (i.e. all US broadcast TV) being displayed at 60.00Hz - hence the US interest.

AIUI tearing may be less of an issue than it once was - and the 50Hz support is fine (so if you just want to watch UK SD and HDTV and DVDs - but not 1080p Blu-rays - then you're well catered for with Clarkdale)

Whether this is a hardware or driver limitation is unclear. It appears that Intel didn't learn from their previous issues with 24p - there is a suggestion that the on-die GPU is very similar to that of their previous gen IGP chipset...

As soon as someone can confirm proper 23.976Hz support then the i3 becomes a BRILLIANT solution - the only HD Bitstreaming IGP out there at the moment...

EvertonMonkey

Would the Asrock Core 100 HT-BD (blu-ray) for £650 with Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit be good value or am I better off looking elsewhere ?

EvertonMonkey

Would the Asrock Core 100 HT-BD (blu-ray) for £650 with Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit be good value or am I better off looking elsewhere ?

Also how much better / more power would this Asrock have compared to an ACER Revo 3610 ?

adspence

Have been keeping quite a close eye on the Clarkdale 24p issues - they're discussed at great length over at AVSForum.

The bottom line appears to be that Intel STILL haven't got to grips with 24p properly, and can't cope properly with 23.976Hz content at that refresh rate, and instead run at 24.000Hz meaning that every 40" or so you get a frame repetition (which is visible on motion and only invisible on static content) ISTR that they also have the same issue with 59.94Hz stuff (i.e. all US broadcast TV) being displayed at 60.00Hz - hence the US interest.

AIUI tearing may be less of an issue than it once was - and the 50Hz support is fine (so if you just want to watch UK SD and HDTV and DVDs - but not 1080p Blu-rays - then you're well catered for with Clarkdale)

Whether this is a hardware or driver limitation is unclear. It appears that Intel didn't learn from their previous issues with 24p - there is a suggestion that the on-die GPU is very similar to that of their previous gen IGP chipset...

As soon as someone can confirm proper 23.976Hz support then the i3 becomes a BRILLIANT solution - the only HD Bitstreaming IGP out there at the moment...

There is a possibility that the Asrock Vision 3D ( link ) could be the solution (while Intel sits on its hands) It will do bitstreaming, there is a video posted by an Asrock bod describing that it is capable of it - but our friends over at AVS (link) are sceptical due to the fact it uses an NVidia GPU and the Intel i5/i7. The latter does audio bitstreaming but the former does not, the latter has the video 24fps problem and the former, being NVidia, does not. How the two can be combined to a) produce bitstreaming over a single HDMI and b) have 24fps working perfectly, is yet to be seen. If they do, then this could be an alternative - although likely to be more expensive than the 100HT.

Almo

Standard Member
Think I may have changed my mind about this one, I can get it for around £560 with the blu-ray option, but from what I've been told it doesnt include a os. So I would need to shell out for Windows 7 (preferred) which makes it a pretty expensive setup. Shame as it looked really good.

Can you tell me where you found this on sale? I'm very interested in this HTPC.

Thanks

Philip

EvertonMonkey

Can you tell me where you found this on sale? I'm very interested in this HTPC.

Thanks

Philip

CCLOnline have them in for £589

EDIT : Actually just checked the website and they seem to have taken it off, strange. This morning the site said they had 6 available, as I phoned them yesterday to check if they came ready to use with windows etc.

Last edited:

adspence

£587 @ KustomPCs - but none in stock, ordered on demand.

Kustom PCs AsRock Core 100HT-BD/B System

It does not come with an OS, and probably no S/W to actually playback BDs (only trial version of PDVD) - so we have to stump up for Arcsoft TMT Platinum or PowerDVD I guess. These two (OS/BD SW) probably increase the cost by around £150+.

Pity there doesn't seem to be anyone selling it as a truely barebone system yet...or at least without HDD. As I'd prefer to put an SSD in there...don't need a 500Gb internal drive, 10TB network server has the storage.

EvertonMonkey

Anyone got one of these yet ? I'd be interested to know your opinions !

jimbodeni

I would also be very interested in hearing if anybody actually has one of these and could comment on the 24p issue as I'm looking for a HD audio bitstreaming XBMC HTPC solution.

GaryRW

Just to add to the list of reviews: ASRock Core 100HT-BD : Bringing HTPCs to the Mainstream Market - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

The feature that caught my eye was the sleep/ supposedly instant boot up feature:

"In order to shorten the boot times, ASRock supplies an Instant Boot utility. Using this, whenver the Core 100 HT-BD is shut down, it boots up once again and shuts down before the power can be safely removed. Upon power up, the boot up is instantaneous. "

(the typo is anandtech's, not mine!)

EvertonMonkey

I would also be very interested in hearing if anybody actually has one of these and could comment on the 24p issue as I'm looking for a HD audio bitstreaming XBMC HTPC solution.

I ended up ordering one of these today for delivery tomorrow from Micom Online Cheap Laptop, Computer, Components & More - Coventry. £552.45 for the blu-ray version (£76 extra for windows 7 home premium 64bit oem which I thought was pretty good).

Most of the reviews give it a pretty good write up so it should do everything I need.

Will post my thoughts once I get it setup and have a play.

EDIT : only 1 left in stock at the min, and 1 dvd version too.

EvertonMonkey

Ok first impressions are that its pretty impressive starting up and using windows 7 (64bit) seem as quick as my Core2Duo 3gz main computer.

Video quality is excellent from mkv and all other sources I have tried and I get all my audio and video over hdmi. Bitstreamed DTS MA from a blu-ray using the trial of powerdvd 10 and it worked a treat.

So far well impressed, hope it continues.

dts_boy

rjg2 - i'm keen to know your thoughts on video performance as i have about 300 DVDs archived currently and this will be my way to run them all!
Have you suffered any dropouts etc...?

jimbodeni

Ok first impressions are that its pretty impressive starting up and using windows 7 (64bit) seem as quick as my Core2Duo 3gz main computer.

Video quality is excellent from mkv and all other sources I have tried and I get all my audio and video over hdmi. Bitstreamed DTS MA from a blu-ray using the trial of powerdvd 10 and it worked a treat.

So far well impressed, hope it continues.

Thanks for this. Can you comment on 24p output? Good news the bitstreaming does actually work! What are you going to be using this machine for primarily? Media center PC?

EvertonMonkey

rjg2 - i'm keen to know your thoughts on video performance as i have about 300 DVDs archived currently and this will be my way to run them all!
Have you suffered any dropouts etc...?

I havent noticed any problems with the video performance everything I have tried (mkv movies, dvd, blu-rays, sky player, youtube, hd-trailers.net, iplayer bbc hd) have all be spot on and its one cable to my Sony 5300ES for video and bitstream audio (so far drive DD, DD EX, DTS, TrueHD and DT-MA) have all worked fine, with the amp switching to the relevant format showing its doing the decoding (not seen the TrueHD and DTS MA show up before with my fat ps3 60gb). Using splash pro, the GPU acceleration light shows up so the hardware is supported and so it must be fairly powerfull. In windows 7 it get a rating of 4.5 and it runs aero fine.

Thanks for this. Can you comment on 24p output? Good news the bitstreaming does actually work! What are you going to be using this machine for primarily? Media center PC?

Not noticed any issues with 24p, blu-rays and mkv playback has been excellent. Mainly using this as a media center, dont need tv turner as I have sky hd and now sky player ;-)

So far for what I need its an excellent living room friendly machine that does everything I wanted in a htpc with good performance. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for similar spec media center and who doesnt really wanna build there own. Just install a copy of windows 7 and your away.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
The thing to look for is the 23.976 vs 24 issue - whereby most content is mastered at 23.976Hz but the Intel GPU runs at 24.000Hz. (Almost all 1080p Blu-rays are mastered at 23.976Hz - with only a few at 24.000Hz)

Any 23.976Hz source will need to repeat a frame every 41.6 seconds to stay in sync with a 24.000Hz refresh rate. If this happens on movement you may well notice it. If it happens on a static scene you probably won't.

Some people notice the repeated frame - others don't see it as clearly.

Other symptoms that can also be seen in some situations is where the frames tear - as they are refreshed mid display-refresh because the source frame rate and output frame rate aren't totally in-sync. (Though this can be avoided by multiple frame buffering etc.)

EvertonMonkey

The thing to look for is the 23.976 vs 24 issue - whereby most content is mastered at 23.976Hz but the Intel GPU runs at 24.000Hz. (Almost all 1080p Blu-rays are mastered at 23.976Hz - with only a few at 24.000Hz)

Any 23.976Hz source will need to repeat a frame every 41.6 seconds to stay in sync with a 24.000Hz refresh rate. If this happens on movement you may well notice it. If it happens on a static scene you probably won't.

Some people notice the repeated frame - others don't see it as clearly.

Other symptoms that can also be seen in some situations is where the frames tear - as they are refreshed mid display-refresh because the source frame rate and output frame rate aren't totally in-sync. (Though this can be avoided by multiple frame buffering etc.)

I've watched a few blu-rays and mkv's at 23.976Hz and not noticed it, but will keep an eye out for it.

Tony Gster

Thanks for the first impressions, rjg2, i'm very tempted in buying this.

Just one quick question, any problems during the Windows 7 install with drivers? ... or was it all straightforward?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom