Aspire iDea 500

Great! Ty and ty for information about Acer Idea mxm! I have upgrade to ati 2600Hd too. Works great! ;)

No problem, The HD2600 has been working great here as well.

I was running an 8600M GT before which has roughly the same performance but there is always the increased risk the 8600M might fail due to the bad solder issue, so when the HD2600's from the iDea 520BD popped up I had to grab one :)

For anyone else looking to upgrade the graphics cards have been relisted (This is not my listing) - NEW VIDEO GRAPHIC CARD ACER iDEA 520BD M76 MXMII 512MB ATI HD2400 07379-SA | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi,
Regarding GPU upgrade: I am using nvidia 9500GS from Acer Aspire 6920G VG.8PG06.006. It is required to have vbios in version 60.84.62.00.40, and the Device ID 10DE-0205 and subvendor 1025. This one works for sure. Other versions (later) cause MXM structure error. If you have card VG.8PG06.006 with different BIOS and/or vendor you can flash the card with above BIOS and it works perfectly.

BTW: I have upgraded DVD to BD UJ-225S and I am looking for software from IDEA520BD managing Blu-Ray. Do you know how I can find it to have a possibility of playing BD discs?

nvidia9500GS.JPG

Hi all, i try to update to windows 8.1. Works all but VFDTranscorder doesn't. Are someone have the same problem?

ty all

I see and i find all driver but the VFDTranscorder are missing. :(
Hello, Did you manage to download all of the drivers that you needed? Should you need anymore I'd be more than happy to help. Still playing with this HTPC too. Just replaced the HDD on an iDea 500 with an SSD and it's booting up reasonably quick to be fair. Trying to source a replacement front panel assembly and top cover but think that parts are now desperately difficult to source. Not replaced the GPU on an iDea 510 though as cannot seem to find any reasonably priced.
Did have issues with the VFD previously but it's working okay under Win-7 from what's been gathered.

VFD works well in windows7 but not in w8.1, I try to install in compatibility mode but it doesn't work. I think that i can live without VFD, but if someone have a solution i'll sleep better tonight :)

No problem, The HD2600 has been working great here as well.

I was running an 8600M GT before which has roughly the same performance but there is always the increased risk the 8600M might fail due to the bad solder issue, so when the HD2600's from the iDea 520BD popped up I had to grab one :)

For anyone else looking to upgrade the graphics cards have been relisted (This is not my listing) - NEW VIDEO GRAPHIC CARD ACER iDEA 520BD M76 MXMII 512MB ATI HD2400 07379-SA | eBay

I bought that card.
It's HD2600 and is working great for me too.
Thanks.

Now I'm thinking about cpu upgrade...

Well...after 8 years of fantastic operation its time to say goodbye to this machine. It served me well and i will never forget the first time i could pause the live tv and rewind...what a cultural shock! :)

I have my graphic card failed and i decided not to fix it and proceed with the purchase of a mac mini for my HTPC with XBMC and a eyetvgo software for my Live TV needs.

Thank you all for your great support

edit: I hate to see the machine dusting on my living room. I'm willing to sell parts if anyone is interested. i can place them on eBay or something we will figure it out. just wanna help other users.

Last edited:
VFD works well in windows7 but not in w8.1, I try to install in compatibility mode but it doesn't work. I think that i can live without VFD, but if someone have a solution i'll sleep better tonight :)

Same here, the issues exists on Windows 10 as well. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Well...after 8 years of fantastic operation its time to say goodbye to this machine. It served me well and i will never forget the first time i could pause the live tv and rewind...what a cultural shock! :)

I have my graphic card failed and i decided not to fix it and proceed with the purchase of a mac mini for my HTPC with XBMC and a eyetvgo software for my Live TV needs.

Thank you all for your great support

edit: I hate to see the machine dusting on my living room. I'm willing to sell parts if anyone is interested. i can place them on eBay or something we will figure it out. just wanna help other users.
You can use the classifieds to sell parts :)

It is sometime since I last contributed. Many thanks for advice already received. I have an Idea 500 running on 3 Gb RAM and a 500Gb WD hard drive with Windows 7. The system occasionally pauses to upload while watching TV. I have the original CPU but would like to upgrade this. I tried a T7600 but this would not boot up and I assumed it was specific to the Idea 510. I have also tried a T2600 but the system will not boot up with this also.

I may have made an error in purchase. I note that the original CPU is SL9S(5?)D. The code for the one I purchased is SL8VN. Is this the reason for the failure and should I look for a T2600 SL9SD?

Thanks in advance.

The last time I had a 500 it had a Core Duo T2300E (SL9DM) as standard, I did not keep this machine but I did play around with it a little. The Acer iDea 500 needs to be flashed with the BIOS from the 510 in order to support processors from the T5xxx and T7xxx range.

The T2600 (SL8VN) should be working without the BIOS upgrade though, can you confirm your T2600 is SL8VN?

The highest end processor I had running on the 500 was a Core 2 Duo T7200 (SL9SF) but there should be no reason why the T7600 (SL9SD) should not be working unless you have had some bad luck and got faulty processors.

When you install the new processors does the system display an image at all or does it hang at POST?

The last time I had a 500 it had a Core Duo T2300E (SL9DM) as standard, I did not keep this machine but I did play around with it a little. The Acer iDea 500 needs to be flashed with the BIOS from the 510 in order to support processors from the T5xxx and T7xxx range.

The T2600 (SL8VN) should be working without the BIOS upgrade though, can you confirm your T2600 is SL8VN?

The highest end processor I had running on the 500 was a Core 2 Duo T7200 (SL9SF) but there should be no reason why the T7600 (SL9SD) should not be working unless you have had some bad luck and got faulty processors.

When you install the new processors does the system display an image at all or does it hang at POST?

Thanks John for the swift response. I confirm that the T2600 is an SL8VN. I tried to flash the BIOS for a 510 but got a message that the file was too large. So not too surprised that T7600 did not work. Both processors hang at POST.

The BIOS update reporting as being to large is strange, as far as I can remember it flashed easily. The good news is that hanging at POST is the same symptom I got before I flashed the 510 BIOS, after getting it flashed you should be fine to upgrade.

I keep a lot of files and notes from various upgrade attempts on the iDea range I've done over the years, I'll try to have a look through and find the update files I used on the 500.

John,
Thanks very much. That would be great. I look forward to receiving them. Do you need my email address to send the file? I may need a word or two of instruction also to be on the safe side!

John,
Thanks very much. That would be great. I look forward to receiving them. Do you need my email address to send the file? I may need a word or two of instruction also to be on the safe side!

Before going forward I recommend you take a backup of your existing BIOS first, this can be done using WinFlash or Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit (Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit

There is a zip file attached containing an ISO image that will need to be burned to a CD or DVD, I use ImgBurn (The Official ImgBurn Website for burning ISO images but pretty much any burning software will do.

Once you have burned the disk you need to boot from it, reboot your system with the disk inserted and press F12 at POST and this will give you the boot menu. Select CDROM from the boot menu, press enter and allow the system to boot into DOS. When the command prompt appears type "update" and press enter, from there follow the on screen instructions.

As with any BIOS update, this is risky so only go ahead if you are 100% sure you know it could go wrong and could leave your system non functional. This was successful for me when I updated an iDea 500 with a newer CPU but I cannot offer any guarantees.

Attachments

• Acer_iDea_BIOS_Update.zip
    820.4 KB · Views: 109
Hello,

Processor - Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz - SL9SD.

This is the max as far as I have tested, there is a possibility of a T7600G achieving more if the Acer BIOS will allow a multiplier change with a T7600G installed.

John

If you find a T7600G you can give it a try with Throttle Stop.
Heatsink surface look quite rough, lapping it could be a good idea.

I installed T7600 today and make a standard test with IntelBurnTest.
Result was ok. The max cpu temp measured by Core Temp was 74° C. in idle is about 47-48° C.

Before going forward I recommend you take a backup of your existing BIOS first, this can be done using WinFlash or Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit (Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit

There is a zip file attached containing an ISO image that will need to be burned to a CD or DVD, I use ImgBurn (The Official ImgBurn Website for burning ISO images but pretty much any burning software will do.

Once you have burned the disk you need to boot from it, reboot your system with the disk inserted and press F12 at POST and this will give you the boot menu. Select CDROM from the boot menu, press enter and allow the system to boot into DOS. When the command prompt appears type "update" and press enter, from there follow the on screen instructions.

As with any BIOS update, this is risky so only go ahead if you are 100% sure you know it could go wrong and could leave your system non functional. This was successful for me when I updated an iDea 500 with a newer CPU but I cannot offer any guarantees.

John,
Thanks very much again. I am in process of moving house and have only just been able to follow through. I followed your advice closely and with great success. I now have a working computer with an updated BIOS and a T7600, 2.3 GHz CPU working perfectly.

In the process of upgrading I removed the front fascia to correct a fault with the on/of button and disconnected the cable to the infra-red and VFdisplay. When I now reconnect this, the computer fails to power on. Is this a fault with the cable or have the VFD and I-R cards blown? For my purposes, the computer runs as required, so these functions are not essential for me but would be useful. Any advice from members would be appreciated.

Last edited:
John,
Thanks very much again. I am in process of moving house and have only just been able to follow through. I followed your advice closely and with great success. I now have a working computer with an updated BIOS and a T7600, 2.3 GHz CPU working perfectly.

In the process of upgrading I removed the front fascia to correct a fault with the on/of button and disconnected the cable to the infra-red and VFdisplay. When I now reconnect this, the computer fails to power on. Is this a fault with the cable or have the VFD and I-R cards blown? For my purposes, the computer runs as required, so these functions are not essential for me but would be useful. Any advice from members would be appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm glad the CPU upgrade is now working :), a T7600 gives them a kick in the right direction.

As to the new problem, this is usually the PSU or more specifically a couple of bad capacitors in the PSU. I have in the past repaired PSU's to correct this fault but its easier to replace the PSU. The good news is the replacement PSU's are quite common and cheap on eBay - 120W PFC PSU Acer Aspire iDea 500 510 FSP120-40GLS PY.12008.002 Power Supply PSU | eBay

Last edited:
John

Finally found time in the house move and aftermath to fit new PSU purchased following your link. Worked first time and back to full working order. Now to see what problems Windows 10 will bring. Again many thanks for help and advice

John

Finally found time in the house move and aftermath to fit new PSU purchased following your link. Worked first time and back to full working order. Now to see what problems Windows 10 will bring. Again many thanks for help and advice

Glad it worked :)

I did brief test on Windows 10 and drivers were not an issue, however I did not test the GeForce GO 7600 drivers from Vista - I had my HD2400 installed. As far as I know the only Windows 10 problem is the VFD software not working, I have not had the time to look at this yet though.

If you find a T7600G you can give it a try with Throttle Stop.
Heatsink surface look quite rough, lapping it could be a good idea.

I installed T7600 today and make a standard test with IntelBurnTest.
Result was ok. The max cpu temp measured by Core Temp was 74° C. in idle is about 47-48° C.

I managed to get a T7600G at a reasonable price this week, I paid £55 inc shipping - this was probably a bit on the high side considering the age of the CPU but not too bad.

The CPU works fine, it defaults to 2.33GHz and will work just like the standard T7600. The BIOS was never built with the T7600G in mind so a multiplier setting is not available but ThrottleStop functions very well. It allowed me change the multiplier and so far I've had my 510 running at 2.5GHz and 2.66GHz, no voltage increase is required for these speeds with the example I have.

Even better news is that ThrottleStop will allow voltage control, so I did a very brief run at 2.8GHz which required a tiny increase in voltage but I don't recommend this due to the increase in temperature.

As meravigliato points out the heatsink surfaces are very rough and lapping could not hurt but I'm also going to try and pick up a scrap 500/510 so I can work on some case mods to increase airflow. In theory this could be pushed beyond 3GHz but that's for another day after I have looked at cooling mods, so for the time being I have left it at the default 2.33GHz.

At least we know it works now :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom