1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratio's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Speed2003, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Right I'm rather new to all this so please bare with me. I've got a Toshiba 24Z33B Widescreen television and a Toshiba SD-330E DVD player. I've also got a Telewest Digital Box.

My DVD player has three TV Shape modes, 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 Normal and 16:9 Widescreen. It is of course set to 16:9 Widescreen. Now my TV has the following modes (as most widescreen TV’s) Auto, 4:3, Super Live, Wide, Cinema, Sub Title, 14:9.

While playing a DVD I switched through these modes and found that it actually caused the picture to be stretched, as you would expect, but I can't tell how it’s supposed to be. Basically I know what Auto and 4:3 settings are, but I'm not sure the differences between Super Live, Wide, Cinema, Sub Title and 14:9 are.

What I would like to know is what is the correct mode to display the DVD picture correctly on my Widescreen television. I gather that DVD's have different picture size ratios, 2.35:1, 2.40:1, 1.78:1 etc. Does this affect the mode the TV needs to be in to display the picture correctly without any stretching?

I also watch certain programmes on my TV that look like their edges have been chopped off no matter the mode that the TV is in. An example of this is Stargate SG-1 on Sky One, on the start up both the name of the programme and the actor’s names have their edges cut off. Is this because Sky One are broadcasting this incorrectly? A fault with Telewest? I'd be interested to here what both Sky Digital and Telewest Digital users have experienced with this particular problem, especially the viewing of that particular programme on that particular channel!

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Generally you should be able to set a widescreen TV to Auto and it'll handle these modes correctly. Your DVD player should be set to 16:9 Widescreen so that it doesn't add black bars on anamorphic titles itself.

Generally when watching widescreen DVDs your TV should then switch to Wide mode - you could always set this manually but like I say the Auto thing should do it for you.

As far as DVD aspect ratios are concerned, the only ratio that affects your widescreen TV is whether or not the film on the disc is 16:9 anamorphically enhanced - 16:9 being the ratio of a normal widescreen telly. If it is (90% of films are).

A non-anamorphic DVD will have the black bars stored as part of the picture (think old widescreen VHS videos or a terrestrial widescreen broadcast) - therefore your TV will need to switch to its equivalent of Zoom mode to eliminate the bars (in Wide mode everything would just look stretched).

M;.

3. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I do normally use Auto mode I was just abit unsure as to whether or not it always selected the correct mode.

Like you say, most of my DVD's are anamorphically enhanced. The only film I'm unsure about is the original matrix DVD, the one with the part cardboard case, there is no mention of anamorphic, so I gather it isn't.

Anyone got any views on the TV part of my question?

Thanks

Mark

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The Matrix is actually anamorphically encoded - however the DVD was produced way back in the early days of DVD when packaging wasn't quite as unified as it is now - and Warner in particular were failing to note the anamorphic status of DVDs (although the "2.35:1" aspect ratio on the back was supposed to be indicative of this)

Regarding your Sky issues - as far as I know Sky One were planning to begin broadcasting in 16:9 widescreen at some point - perhaps this has already happened? In which case if it is, your Sky box will be cropping the sides of the picture to give you a 4:3 normal TV display - check the settings on your Sky box's menu - there should be an option to display Widescreen as true widescreen (much like the options on a DVD player)

M;.

5. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info on the Matrix DVD.

With regards to the cropping on programmes, I don't have sky, I have telewest digital. What I'm interested in is if the sky digital users who watch Stargate SG-1 on Sky One notice if at the start the name and actors names are cropped or not. Thanks for the info about sky one though, I'll look into it abit more.

Thanks again

Mark

6. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ah sorry misread that bit - again, tho, your Telewest box could have a widescreen option in there - my NTL one certainly did when I used to have it. Sometimes you just have to hunt through the options menu a bit. Otherwise, it could be that you don't have this option and Telewist are cropping Sky One on their end, which is a bit of a pain since it means you can never see the full widescreen picture on channels that have it.

M;.

7. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

After searching through the settings as you suggested I have actually found a setting for the screen size. I've changed it from 4:3 to widescreen. So thanks very much for your help!

I'll have to wait till the programmes I know that crop to check that’s fixed it, but I'm certain it has!

Thanks again!

Best Regards

Mark Lewis

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    make sure that the box is set to RGB as well for a better picture quality. :thumbsup: