aspect ratios to projector

micks_address

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a Sony HS1 projector which is a 4:3 projector. I have a couple of questions about which aspect ratio i should set my dvd player and sky digi box to output in.

Firstly the dvd player (Sony NS900) has the following options 4:3 Letterbox output, 4:3 Pan Scan output and 16:9 output. Most of my dvd's are widscreen so what is the best setting to have this on?

Then the Sky box. It has a 16:9 mode, a 4:3 mode and a 4:3 letter box mode. Which is the best setting to use?

Thanks,
Mick

p.s. anyone know where i could get my hands on the component cable required for the hs1 projector on the cheap?

Does the PJ have a 16x9 mode?

If yes - set the PJ, the DVD and Sky all to 16x9 mode. For widescreen signals, you will get black bars top and bottom. If you dislike black bars enough to prefer a cropped image, see 'no' below.

If no - use either 4x3 letterbox (you will see the full width of a widescreen image, with black bars top and bottom) or 4x3/4x3 Pan&Scan (you will see only the central part of a widescreen image, cropped left and right). Your choice. For some DVDs you may still get black bars.

thanks for the replys - just as an aside - is there anyway to get rgb from my panasonic sky box to the projector~?

I think you need an RGB-Svideo converter. Do a quick search, there are lots of links. There's a new one from rgbtosvideo.com (sp?) that also has RGB passthrough, so you can continue to watch via TV as well.

would the results of using rgb->s-video convertor be much better than just straight composite from the digibox to the projector?
Thanks,
Mick

You should get better colour accuracy with rgb>svideo and possibly less noise.

Have you thought about going the HTPC route?, the picture quality from cabletv using www.dscaler.org is stunning to say the least. Although some people hate the hassle of the PC, I think quite a few people use the ProV to improve picture quality from their consoles/sky boxes - although I have no personal experience from the benefits it gives.

/James

You should get better colour accuracy with rgb>svideo and possibly less noise.

Have you thought about going the HTPC route?, the picture quality from cabletv using www.dscaler.org is stunning to say the least. Although some people hate the hassle of the PC, I think quite a few people use the ProV to improve picture quality from their consoles/sky boxes - although I have no personal experience from the benefits it gives.

/James

p.s have you seen this users website? http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/Success_Stories.html a good read for vpl-hs1 owners.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom