Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Aspect Ratios & Overscanning

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by BabyCakes, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking for a widescreen LCD television to replace my old CRT. I am a little concerned that some of the specs show the aspect ratio for the televisions as 15:9 instead of 16:9. Does this mean that when viewing a normal 16:9 transmission, the left and right edges will be cut off, as if the set were overscanning?

The one thing that I hate about televisions is overscanning - Sony CRTs seem to suffer this problem extensively.

The Panasonic TX32LXD1 appears to be one of those 15:9 sets.

2. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a 1,280 x 768 pixel panel (at least on the Samsung that I had) a 16:9 image was displayed with narrow black bars at the top and bottom of the image *OR* stretched to fill the screen at 15:9.

3. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Samsung LW26A33W is 15:9 and displays 16:9 image cropped at the sides (no "OR"). See my whinging in this forum.
    To be fair, this is the only whinge. Picture is fine. Will make a good monitor for an PC based DVD/PCR etc.
    Comet claims this TV is 16:9, so beware.

4. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am always surprised by the number of people that are prepared to lose the left and right side of the image. If lcd's are designed as 15:9 they are simply not suitable for viewing widescreen television.

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhh ... appologies ... I was playing DVD's through my PC via VGA and so maybe the playback software was adding the top and bottom bars - not the TV. I no longer have the Sammy (it developed a liking for turning itself on and off randomly) so it went back for refund.

Phil