1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratios on certain DVDs...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrisgeary, Sep 22, 2003.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    has anyone watched Seven or Good Will Hunting? There are a few others too, but they are allegedly 2.35:1 but seem to come out of the DVD player within a 4:3 format. What I mean is this.. I have a Pioneer 656A feeding an Iscan Pro projected by a Barco 801s. All my sources are set to 16:9 (as my screen is that). So normal 16:9 material fills the screen. I flick a switch on the Iscan to format 4:3 correctly (bars to the left and right), and 2.35:1 cinemascope fits the screen width with bars top and bottom. Ok. So am I missing something here.. I am guessing I've done nothing wrong here and that certain films were shabbily transferred to DVD (its interesting to note that the films in question also do not have a 5.1 soundtrack) and the result is they are formatted for 4:3 screens and the 2.35:1 image is encapsulated into that. So for TV users, it isnt a problem, but for those of use with projector systems and 16:9 screens, we end up with a movie that only fills half the screen?!

cheers

Chris

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You have, succinctly, described a DVD that is NOT anamorphic (aka not 'enhanced for widescreen TVs').

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If set up another memory on your Barco as a 4:3 ratio, leave the iScan alone so it doesn't format the picture, and then it will just throw the extra large black bars over the edge of the screen. I think this should work right?

I use a HTPC so this is no biggy for me, takes 2 clicks of a button.

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    ive just had a chat with a friend of mine who says i need to create another block for that source, in my case i use source 5 so i can select 95 for that source's second block. that will be my non-anamorphic block. i think thats what you are saying too, SeaneyC.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This happens a lot for laser disk too.
    Leave the Iscan set to wide screen (ie not with black bars down the side)
    Select source 95 then increase the vertical hight to give you the correct ratio.