Aspect Ratios and LCD TVs

Marcos

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy an LCD TV or maybe Plasma soon. And for the past few years i've been using a brilliant 21" 4:3 sony CRT tv that has the best feature i've ever seen on a tv and now cant live without. Its got a button on the remote that i press and it switched from 16:9 to 4:3, i can't believe the sheer number of 4:3 tvs that dont include this simple function, its essential.

my question is, if i get a widescreen LCD TV, whats it like at letting me choose the aspect ratio etc? I hate it when widescreen tvs cut off the top and bottom of a 4:3 picture, i prefer black borders on the sides and getting the whole picture in.

i've never had a widescreen tv which wouldn't let you choose the aspect ratio!

normally you get things like

Wide (stretches 4:3 to 16:9, not losing any picture but making everything oblong)
4:3 (leaves 4:3 alone with side borders)
14:9 (stretches 4:3 but not as much, still has small side borders)
ZOOM (zooms 4:3 to 16:9 losing the top and bottom of the image)
SMART (zooms but not as much as ZOOM)

The only thing i've noticed is that when upscaling a DVD using my Denon 1920 dvd player, the options to change screen mode are disabled and i have to use WIDE, which i've read is because you cant resize a 720i/p or 1080i/p source over HDMI

Hi.

buy a Panasonic and you will not lose any picture.

It has a mode called "auto", sometimes called "just".

It keeps the center of the screen at normal aspect and streches the edges to fill the screen.

regard

John.

Well I don't like "just" on Panasonic. I've got them all over the house and the aspect ratio of their software is the thing I don't like

However, you can adjust them via the remote to suit the material being transmitted. The only problem is you need to know if the original is 4 x 3 or widescreen, and that's not easy, especially when the channel may, or may not, decide to fiddle with the aspect ratio itself before transmission

I have to say that, despite my addiction for Panasonic picture quality, I have a Sony W2000 LCD that unfailingly manages to decide if the transmission is 4x3 or widescreen and adjusts my picture accordingly without any intervention on my part. If you need a set that produces what the transmission is sending with no stretching/overscanning or whatever, that is the one that does it for me

i've never had a widescreen tv which wouldn't let you choose the aspect ratio!

normally you get things like

Wide (stretches 4:3 to 16:9, not losing any picture but making everything oblong)
4:3 (leaves 4:3 alone with side borders)
14:9 (stretches 4:3 but not as much, still has small side borders)
ZOOM (zooms 4:3 to 16:9 losing the top and bottom of the image)
SMART (zooms but not as much as ZOOM)

The only thing i've noticed is that when upscaling a DVD using my Denon 1920 dvd player, the options to change screen mode are disabled and i have to use WIDE, which i've read is because you cant resize a 720i/p or 1080i/p source over HDMI
Well as long as the tv has that 4:3 mode i'll be happy, its the only i use outside of 16:9 for proper WS material.

i just have a huge pet hate for stretched images, dont know how people put up with squashed people on screen

Sony TV's do have a button so that you can manually select. Mine does great on widescreen vs 4:3. For 14:9 you have to manually intervene and then turn it back when you have a full 4:3.

It does have a "Smart" mode that does some stretching to fill the screen but once you put it in 4:3 it will use that each time unless switched back.

Well as long as the tv has that 4:3 mode i'll be happy, its the only i use outside of 16:9 for proper WS material.

i just have a huge pet hate for stretched images, dont know how people put up with squashed people on screen

i don't mind the stretching as much as the pixelation and interlacing, i watched angel series 1 on dvd the other week and due to the problem i mentioned in my previous post, i was watching a 4:3 show in 16:9 and the pixelation/interlacing was horrific at times.. of course my girlfriend didn't notice a thing!

Still, worse is the "cinema" mode my parents have on their TV, it frames the centre third of the image in 4:3 and stretches the two outer thirds to fill the 16:9 screen, meaning that objects actually change their dimensions depending on their position on the screen! Cannot imagine how they've been happy using that for all these years!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom