Aspect Ratio.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MUD, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI EVERBODY.

CAN anybody tell me what SMALL, LETTERBOX, CINEMA, DO any off you guys use these settings. I have a 420p I have a 2mtr WIDESCREEN. I use NORMAL and WIDE. I gave them a try lastnight I cant see any differance.,
    THANKS MUD :confused:

2. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On my Seleco 450 the settings are as follows

small Displays a 4 x 3 picture inside the 16 x 9 screen

Wide Used for sky widescreen or anamorphic DVD's

Cinema Use for non anamorphic DVDs ie: the full picture is taller than 16 x 9 but because of the black bars top and bottom the picture fills the 16 x 9 screen

Normal I have this bank set to zoom a 14 x 9 picture to make better use of the 16 x 9 screen Its a compromise but you do not lose much of the picture and at least if fills the screen.

Letterbox At present I am not using this memory bank, but I believe the perpose of all these memry banks is just so the user can set various aspect ratio's or save other settings.

Hope this helps

Alan

3. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI ALAN
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. IT looks that my aspect settings need to be changed, as I only have normal and wide that is why when watching SKY programs ect I cant see any differance can you do this yourself or do I have get back the GUY who installed it. BY the way ALAN what is the differance between 420hb and your450 as the manual I got with this projector says 450 and 500.
    THANKs MUD.:)

4. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mud,

To alter these settings yourself you would need an avia or VE disc and have to change the convergance settings, If you save one of your present memory banks as a new bank you can play around with the new bank without losing your existing settings. You would have to alter the deflection and convergance settings so it could be a bit tricky to get right.

I'm not quite sure of the difference between the various models perhaps Chris Frost will jump in and explain, but I believe the 420 is based on the 400 chassis whereas the 450 is based on the 500 chassis and is effect a 500 but with plastic as opposed to glass lenses.

Alan

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Guys,

On the aspect ratios, Normal and Cinema are for 4:3 material.
    Wide and Letterbox are for anything that needs Anamorphic compression to squeeze the height down.
    Small also uses Anamorphic compression to squeeze the height down and also triggers the second 12V output. This can be used to switch on side masking.

The beauty of digital convergence chassis projectors is that you can make the picture shape anything you want. Alan's set-up is a good example. Cinema is set to zoom up any 14:9 material.

Regarding projectors:

420, 450 & 500 all use the same chassis (with 20Mhz tube bases)
    500 - Seleco line doubler, Glass lenses
    450 - Seleco line doubler, Acrylic lenses
    420 - No line doubler, Acrylic lenses

A 420 or 450 can be upgraded to equal the 500 spec by adding the glass lenses.

400 uses a lower resolution chassis (12Mhz).
    400 - Seleco line doubler, Acrylic lenses

A 400 can accept the glass lens upgrade but will never equal the performance of the 500.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.