1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect ratio switching via Panasonic VGA input

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by alanfcross, Mar 7, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that SCART allows for an apect ratio switch signal (even if it's not always implemented). How is this sort of thing handled when you use a SCART/VGA converter (eg JS)? Is this an issue or a non-issue? Does a DVD sort itself out without needing to pass this signal to the plasma? What about Freeview, satellite, and the dear old VCR? Is this just a Sky issue? Do I need an aspect switcher?

I'm happy fiddling to get the right picture shape, but that doesn't apply to everyone in the house!

TIA

2. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's an issue. You need to switch the aspect ratio manually if you have the JS SCART->VGA convertor. There is a solution for an extra £50 though. JS (I think it's JS) also do a rather clever box that just has a Scart in & out socket plus an RS232 connector. You daisy chain your Scart through this box and all it does is watch the scart signal for aspect ratio changes. When it sees one then it uses the RS232 connection to automatically send the appropriate aspect switch command to the panel via the RS232 input (OK, it might be 432) on the Panny panel.

I haven't used this but someone else here told me about it. AVsales sell them I think. It looks a clever solution, the only downside is the extra £50 and the extra serial cable that needs to be run to the panel, but serial cables are pretty cheap and thin so that shouldn't be a huge issue I hope.

- Julian

3. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, JulianL

That certainly puts up the cost of a comprehensive solution via the VGA port! Can I take it that it is NOT an issue when using their SCART input board (which I have ordered)? If that's the case, I might just use the SCART port and switch everything into that.

4. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but .... whe you add the cost of the JS SCART-VGA converter to the cost of the Aspect Switcher, you could have bought two more SCART input boards! Hence my question ... does the Panny SCART input board deal with the aspect ratio question without external control or manual intervention? I might just buy two more SCART boards - and I can then (I believe) select screen input via the plasma's on-screen display, with inputs named as I want them.

6. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're most welcome!

Yes, my mum & dad drive their 6 series panel via a Scart board and that does do widescreen switching. It does also do one strange thing though. I set the panel mode to auto/4:3 for them, i.e. the mode where it switches to widescreen for widescreen broadcasts and 4:3 with bars down the sides for 4:3 broadcasts. For some reason that we never worked out the panel would seemingly randomly set itself back to a permanent widescreen mode and would loose the ability to drop back to 4:3 format for non widescreen broadcasts until the aspect ratio was reset on the panel again.

The above could have been a fault on my parents panel, or it could have been the DVD player confusing it somehow when it was switched on. Apart from the above glitch though, the widescreen switching worked exactly as I expected via the Scart input.

For what it's worth, I'm probably going to go Scart myself when I get my panel, hopefully by finding a deal with a board bundled.

- Julian