Aspect Ratio settings on Pio DVR433H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by beatlefan, Mar 25, 2006.

1. beatlefan

beatlefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys.

I wonder if you guys can help me with a question question i have about the aspect ratio settings on my Pioneer DVD433H (an awesome machine btw :smashin: )

If i want to record something on the HDD then burn to dvd as a back up do i need to set the proper "aspect ratio" (in "Playback" settings) before i record onto the HDD??...Or does it not make any difference until you go to burn it? (in which case i can change the settings just before i burn.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

The playback aspect ratio does not make any difference to the recording, it just tells the DVD recorder what type of TV you have in order to display the picture correctly.

When recording to DVD-R I don't think the wide screen setting is copied anyway and it will just record as 4:3 meaning you will have to manually set your TV to 16:9.

Regards

Phil

3. beatlefan

beatlefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Philip.

It's hard to explain what i mean but, say there's a tv program on (in 4:3 screen ratio) and i wanna record it, then burn it onto a dvd and play it back with the correct ratio on my dvd player.

Does it all boil down to the way i set the aspect ratio of my sky digibox??

For example: I record the program in 4:3, and then when i want to burn it do i need to set the "Playback" settings on the 433H to 4:3 ??

Or does the "playback" setting make no difference when you burn the disc because the aspect ratio is already set when i recorded the program??....thereby burning the disc with the correct aspect ratio.

In other words does it all depend only on the screen ratio of the recorded signal??

Thanks

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

I am assuming here you actually have a 16:9 TV.

Your sky digi box should be setup so that its setting is for a 16:9 TV regardless of whether the program being broadcast is 4:3 or 16:9. This means you get the best possible picture quality on 16:9 broadcasts. You never need to change this once set.

The playback settings on the Pioneer recorder again should always be left at 16:9, so that again you get the best possible picture quality on your TV. Remember that all you are doing is telling the sky box and your recorder that you have a 16:9 TV and not what is actually being broadcast, they handle the differences between 16:9 and 4:3 automatically. Again once set to 16:9 on the DVD Recorder, leave it that way regardless of what is being broadcast.

That's all you need to do, nothing needs to change, it doesn't matter if you are recording a 4:3 or 16:9 program leave it all as 16:9.

A 16:9 or 4:3 setting only makes a difference to widescreen programs, 4:3 programs ignore the 16:9 or 4:3 setting and instead are always treated as 4:3 by default.

Regards

Phil