1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratio selection on a 504HDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jfraser, Jan 4, 2004.

1. jfraser

jfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused by the instruction manual....If I'm watching an anamorphic movie, should the display be set to 'Full'. For general satellite viewing, should it be set to 'wide' or 'full'. The manual refers to 'squeeze' pictures....what's a 'squeeze pic'......, also is a 14:9 image 2.35:1 aspect ratio (is this letterbox). Thanks.

Sorry, one final question....when I set the 868avi output to 1080i via hdmi and the screen locks to 'Full', will that always give the most accurate aspect representation of the movie regardless of whether it is 1.78:1 or 2.35:1 etc.

Thanks

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Full is the correct setting, assuming that your sky box is set to 16:9 display. Also correct if your DVD is set to 16:9.
    14:9 would be used for viewing a 4:3 broadcast thet has black bands top and bottom (eg. from your media box terrestrial signal)
    2.35:1 is the very wide cinema format that most films are mastered in, and would normally be DVD which you would watch in FULL mode.

Clear as mud eh?

3. jfraser

jfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info
    Jason