Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Aspect Ratio/Resolution Confusion

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, May 21, 2005.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The other day I had a very confusing situation on my hands (other than the synchronization loss).

The confusing situation is that while playing a 16:9 DVD on a properly configured DVD32R the PSM192/VSM2048 output a "compressed 16:9 image" at a resolution of 1024x768p. Given that the DVD32R/PSM192/VSM2048 chain was configured to output an "uncompressed 16:9 image" at a resolution of 1280x720p this both confused and surpirsed me.

Please therefore:

1. Correct and/or confirm my below described understanding of the behaviour/interaction of the DVD32R, the AV192R and the InFocus 7210 with respect to aspect ratios/resolution.

2. Explain how/why the bove noted output came into being. Is it possible that this is related to the synchronization problem that I am experiencing?

i. If one has a 16:9 display and plays a 16:9 DVD without both a PSM and a VSM then:

1. DVD32R outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720 x480i;
    2. InFocus 7210 outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720x480p when employing the Native aspect ratio.
    3. InFocus 7210 outputs an “uncompressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 1280x720p image when employing the 16:9 aspect ratio.

ii. If one has a 16:9 display and plays a 16:9 DVD with a PSM but without a VSM then:

1. DVD32R outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720x480i;
    2. PSM192 outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720x480p;
    3. InFocus 7210 outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720x480p when employing the Native aspect ratio.
    4. InFocus 7210 outputs an “uncompressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 1280x720p when employing the 16:9 aspect ratio.

iii. If one has a 16:9 display and plays a 16:9 DVD with a PSM and with a VSM then

1. DVD32R outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720x480i;
    2. PSM192 outputs a “compressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 720x480p;
    3. VSM2048 outputs an “uncompressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 1280x720p when employing the Native aspect ratio.
    4. InFocus 7210 outputs an “uncompressed 16:9 image” at a resolution of 1280x720p when employing the Native aspect ratio.
    5. InFocus 7210 outputs a “stretched 16:9 image” at a resolution of 1280x720p when employing the 16:9 aspect ratio.

TIA,

Joel

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What do you mean by compressed? :)

3. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Joel means squeezed, which is completely normal for anamorphic video.

In fact rereading his post again it looks to me that his DVD32 is outputing correctly but his PSM is not, it should output uncompressed 16:9 as 960x480 (I think) at least via DVI, not sure what via component.

4. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Liam:

Right you are...the other way I could explain compressed would be that evrything in the image appears "tall and skinny".

Joel

5. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I just checked the blurb on the PSM and it states in the handbook for the AV32R-DP that 'the horizontal resolution is increased from 720 to 960'. So if you connect the PSM direct to the 7210 and have set the PSM to output uncompressed 16:9 and play a real 16:9 DVD you should get 960x480 (960x576 for PAL).

6. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Liam,

Two questions:

1. How does one get the PSM to output an uncompressed 16:9 image?

2. What would be the advantage of coberting 720x480 to 960x480 as either way the ratio is NOT 16:9.

TIA,

Joel

7. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Joel

1. I assumed that the PSM outputs 960x480 all the time for 16:9 DVDs but on thinking about it this it must not be the case because the progressive component jacks certainly only give standard (720x)480p they must to be compatiable with simple progressive displays. Maybe it is the DVI output that is 960x480? In the old TMA days you could have asked the helpdesk but IAG are facking useless about answering tech questions. Perhaps GrahamMG can confirm exactly what the PSM outputs?

2. pixels in video aren't square, only computers have square pixels.

8. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

GrahamMG...where are you...we need you :lease:

9. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The DVI will output 960x576 when the PSM has been configured to format 4:3 video into a 16:9 frame and the source video aspect ratio is 4:3.

Regards,

Steve

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Surely its just a question of picking the right aspect ratio :confused: Just pop in a copy of DVE and have a play till you get it right :)

11. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thunder:

For me it is a little more that a question of picking the reight aspect ratio...it is a matter of understanding how things work...you may or may not recall that in the days of TMA I wrote a "paper" on danalog vs digital sound, ecode/encode algorithms, and digital signal processing starting with from a zero knowledge.

Just how my mind works...sometime a curse and sometimes a good thing!!!

Joel

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Joel.
    As I'm seriously loosing the will to live over this one and just can't bear to re-read all the posts on this matter, I'll ask the following questions:-

What is the connection between the DVD and the AV192R?
    Do you have a PSM in both ther AV and DVD?
    Please tell me your not using the DVI output from the DVD based PSM......?

sijones and Thunder both have a very valid point in their last posts..... This isn't rocket science adn if your "dealer" can't set this up properly I'll be amazed. Of course if you still want to buy me a ticket and put me up for a couple of days, I could always put an end to your misery and at least find out if things work as intended or something is wrong.... You really do seem to be convinced that something is wrong with the TAG gear, everyone else isn't nearly so sure......

13. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

GrahamMG:

I think that we have a communication issue/misunderstanding...in regards to at least two points that I would like toclarifyimmediately:

1. It is not about popping in a copy of DVE and having a go at it until I get it right...it is a matter of understanding what is going on that intrigues me...this is the reason behind the creation/posting of this thread.

2. If you re-read my first posting I did not come out and say that the TAG kit is malfunctioning....I came out and said that when I expected the AV192R to output 1280x720 and I actualy got the AV192R outputting 1024x768 and that I wanted to understand what was happening. :lesson:

Now...in respect to your queries...

-- DVD32R is connected to the AV192R via YPbPr.

-- PSM192 and VSM2048 BOTH reside in the AV192R (i.e. there is only 1 PSM192)

With respect to your offer to take me out of my misery I am not so sure whether it is me, you or both of us...in any event...my offer stands...let me know whether you really want to come and I will gladly arrange a "points ticket" and you can tweak away!!

Cheers,

Joel

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I have no idea how you get the VSM to output anything other than what it is set to unless you did input a 4:3 signal maybe?

As for a visit, well the second or third week in June or from the second week in July are showign a few gaps of the odd day or so.... Sounds as if it ought to wait unitl you get "fixed" TAG kit though?

15. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Alas...that is exactly my point...I sent it a 16:9 signal yet it output a 4:3 image...I, like you am at a loss.

We will stay in touch...should have the new kit by then.