Aspect ratio problem recording BBC HD on Sony DVDR

M

Marky P

Hi,

I have a Sony HXD-970 and have connected a Scart lead to the decoder input from my Panny 81B TV to record Freesat output. Now, all SD channels are fine, displaying in the correct ratio, but BBC HD is in a squashed 4:3. I have to set the DVDR to stretch 4:3 to get the correct ratio, which isn't very convenient as I have to switch it back again to display 4:3 material correctly.:( Any ideas?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

I have a Sony HXD-970 and have connected a Scart lead to the decoder input from my Panny 81B TV to record Freesat output. Now, all SD channels are fine, displaying in the correct ratio, but BBC HD is in a squashed 4:3. I have to set the DVDR to stretch 4:3 to get the correct ratio, which isn't very convenient as I have to switch it back again to display 4:3 material correctly.:( Any ideas?
You have not mentioned how you are connected back to the TV for viewing from 970. If via HDMI for example it is relevant here.

Also - are you aware that recording this way [ i.e. from the TV, using the TV's tuner ] ...is causing you a significant quality penalty?

This is because the recording output available from the TV is maximally Composite quality only.

I appreciate you have no choice if recording HD... but unless Freesat is your only available signal source [ i.e. you have no conventional aerial ] then you would get much better quality recording by recording freeview channels direct on the DVDR.

M

Marky P

It's connected via HDMI.

I do use the built in Freeview tuner in the DVDR for recording. Just thought recording from BBC HD in HQ mode would produce a better picture than the same programme on Freeview. Am I wrong?

ramjet

Banned
how can you think its recording in HD when its coming down a standard scart lead ?

it cannot be any better than it would be from freeview bbc using its internal tuner , or from an SD source like a sat receiver , same as you were doing with the freesat channels from the tv down the same scart lead

ie:- you cannot record in HD so it cannot be any better than the standard freesat SD channels you send from the tv to the sony recorder

Gavtech

Administrator
It's connected via HDMI.

I do use the built in Freeview tuner in the DVDR for recording. Just thought recording from BBC HD in HQ mode would produce a better picture than the same programme on Freeview. Am I wrong?
You probably would not be, if the TV would allow you to transfer the signal at a decent quality [ RGB ] .... the reason this time being that [ assuming the equipment allows it] HD material which is mandatorily downgraded to SD for recording purposes is still allowed to be a fraction better than standard SD, in terms of having a slightly better resolution.

Unfortunately the transfer of the signal in Composite form only is probably erasing that benefit... and some.

Regarding the aspect problem [ which may be irrelevant now ] .. check out the aspect setting that specifically relates to being connected via HDMI, as detailed on page 140 of the manual... which may be impacting on this issue... albeit I think it is only meant to affect the way 4:3 material is presented via HDMI.

M

Marky P

how can you think its recording in HD when its coming down a standard scart lead ?

it cannot be any better than it would be from freeview bbc using its internal tuner , or from an SD source like a sat receiver , same as you were doing with the freesat channels from the tv down the same scart lead

ie:- you cannot record in HD so it cannot be any better than the standard freesat SD channels you send from the tv to the sony recorder
I knew it wouldn't be recording in HD, but the bit rate is higher on HD channels so I thought even though it was being converted to SD, it would still look a bit better than low bit rate Freeview. But as it seems it will only be composite, it's a waste of time anyway.:suicide:

bobcar

Novice Member
I knew it wouldn't be recording in HD, but the bit rate is higher on HD channels so I thought even though it was being converted to SD, it would still look a bit better than low bit rate Freeview. But as it seems it will only be composite, it's a waste of time anyway.:suicide:
You were right to assume you would get better quality if you were recording off something like a Sky HD box because you would be getting a less compressed higher quality image. True it will not be HD and will be downscaled but downscaling is easy.

However since you are coming off your TV then it will only be composite and that will probably make the picture worse than from the inbuilt Freeview tuner.

bobcar

Novice Member

This simply isn't true there is much more to picture quality than resolution. In the OPs particular case he won't get better quality because the signal will be composite but for someone that can record from RGB the recording off an HD channel will almost always be far better than of an SD channel.

M

Marky P

Done a test recording and although there are no noticeable digital artifacts, the picture is quite soft. Shame Panny couldn't've shoved an RGB output on their telly.:(

bobcar

Novice Member
Done a test recording and although there are no noticeable digital artifacts, the picture is quite soft. Shame Panny couldn't've shoved an RGB output on their telly.:(
They couldn't put that on the standard SCART because the RGB pins are inputs only whereas there are separate pins for composite in/out.

They could have provided a separate output somewhere else but that would have cost. That's one good reason why a separate STB can be better (especially if it's a PVR).

ramjet

Banned
This simply isn't true there is much more to picture quality than resolution. In the OPs particular case he won't get better quality because the signal will be composite but for someone that can record from RGB the recording off an HD channel will almost always be far better than of an SD channel.
I had no idea if the tv can output rgb or composite , merely making an observation about the differences between HD and SD in case he thought he could record the HD signals in HD and not SD or get better quality from his HD tv than anywhere else

obviously if he could record in RGB then it may well be an option although it ties the tv to what he is watching which is never a good idea anyway

it was gavtech ( not me ) that pointed out it was likely to be a composite output from the tv in SD to the recorder in which case its definitely of no use to him to record that signal rather than an internal signal , in fact he would be better off hooking in a cheap SD satellite box and recording in RGB from that box using a scart RGB input as he would get better quality than using the recorders DTV internal tuner

there are many ways he could go about this and improve what goes into the recorder , but his chosen methods are not really good enough due to the obvious problems of composite connection , and I see no real improvement over using the DTV tuner already inside his recorder as its designed to use it with what he owns at the moment

its my belief that some ppl can be too fussy about sound and picture quality , we want as best as we can get , but sometimes it becomes obsessive and isnt necessary

the rest of us are awaiting a twin tuner HD sat receiver with the ability to hook up a hdd and record in the manner he seems to want , something like a dreambox 9000 or a darkbox 9000 or similar , but definitely not a tv that has built in freesat and no recording abilities for it

thats why the last suggestion in your last post is the most valid in this thread and a HD tv with a technomate 6900 super and an esata hdd hooked up would have been a better option at the moment , or its time these numptys at panasonic , sony , humax etc brought out a freesat twin tuner pvr with a big HDD fitted and let ppl use that for the intention in post 1

at least humax have this in the offing

Humax Freesat HD FOXSAT-HDR PVR with twin tuners and a 320 gig hdd

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom