1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aspect ratio on pio 435 with HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Apan, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Apan

Apan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many movies seem to be made with the aspect ratio 2:35 anamorphic, and that's really bad when watching it with HDMI because the aspect ratio can't be changed and one has to live with the black borders on top and bottom. Why are the films released in 2:35 instead of 1:78 which are the true widescreen dimensions.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    2.35:1 is widescreen. It's just wider than you want.

They are that shape because that's the shape they were at the cinema and to make them 1.78:1 would probably involve cropping the image.

Gordon

3. Apan

Apan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that gordon, but why don't they convert it to 1:85 before releasing it on dvd, like they did with hellboy for example. I willing to lose the little information that is lost at the sides in favour of getting the movie to fill the entire screen. Otherwise I can't really see the point with widescreen tvs.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Apan,

Most film fans prefer to have their DVD films in Original Aspect Ratio, and not have bits of them chopped off in order to "fit your screen". If you connect your player by component instead of HDMI, are you then able to zoom the picture?

Steve

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your eyes would normally focus on the actual picture. In most cases people want the films to be fiddled with as little as possible, as a direct transfer will always be best for quality.

6. Apan

Apan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I can use some sort of "zoom mode" if I change mode to 576p(or lower) but I rather use 720p and the real aspect ratio even if that means black borders in that case. My point is that some(many) movies are in 1:78(anamorphic) when they are released, and I much rather prefer full screen 1:78 in 720p than in 2:35. Hellboy is probably the best movie, when looking at picture quality, that I've seen in a long time (thank you 1:78 for that).