1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect Ratio Handling Component vs SVHS

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJTX100, Dec 21, 2004.

1. PJTX100

Dec 21, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Great forum guys (& gals).
    Over the past few months I've taken the projector route. Purchased the Hitachi PJTX100, hooked it up to my ageing Pioneer 525 via S-VHS, home made MDF screen approx 71" x 40" plus black borders. Totally blown away by results, far better than I'd hoped for.
    Recently decided to add the Pioneer 575 to the mix, component/progressive being the main attraction and indeed the picture is stunning, though it's only a nudge better rather than a giant leap forward over S-VHS IMO (albeit based on one night's viewing!).
    However, component has introduced a side effect that I was half expecting but not seen until now.
    I made the screen exactly 16:9 (by projecting the startup image and masking to paint the border), up to now via S-VHS everything lines up to the borders beautifully - menus etc, and in particular 1.85 aspect ratio fills the full 16:9 screen beautifully (despite 16:9 being 1.77?). Gaps appear with 1:2.35 of course.
    Anyway, with component output from the 575 gaps of around 1" top/bottom have appeared with 1:1.85, they nearly disappear with the one film I have which is 1:1.79 (Private Ryan) - which is exactly as expected if you do the sums. (SVHS output on the 575 again shows no gaps).
    It's almost as if S-VHS is automatically shaping the image to 16:9 whereas with component it's sticking rigidly to the aspect ratio. Is this what you guys experience?
    It's only a slight annoyance because so few films are 1:1.85, but it means I'll probably watch 1:1.85 via SVHS on the 525 because it looks so neat being perfectly lined up to the border.