Aspect ratio from PC to widescreen TV - problem

tim1882

When I view a movie on my PC the widescreen pic is fine, but when I hook the PC up to 42" Panny via a serial cable, I get bars at the top and the side, and can't get the image to fill the screen properly. (Switching to 16:9 on the TV just stretches the image it to fill it widthwise).

Anyone know of a media player I can use to customise the image size/shape, or anything else that might help? Have tried the usuals, DivX, VLC etc

Cheers

gilbates

Novice Member
All Pc Video drivers have control panels mate , have a look in your drivers control panel and change its output size from there , a Pc will always overscan an image meaning that normaly you will have the edges of the picture lost until you resize to fit your TV screen

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
If you are using a VGA connection (serial cables have 9 pins, VGA have 15 pins - though the shell is the same size) then it could well be that your PC / TV have decided on a 4:3 resolution (800x600, 1024x768 etc.) rather than a 16:9 one (1280x720, 1920x1080 etc.)

If the PC is running in a 4:3 resolution it will, by default, letterbox.

Windows Media Center will let you over-ride this by using the INFO button (or right clicking) and selecting the right ZOOM mode.

However it is much easier if your PC is set in a desktop resolution that matches your display resolution, or at least aspect ratio.

First thing to check is whether you can set a 16:9 resolution - though some VGA interconnections won't allow this (some TVs only accept 4:3 resolutions via VGA for some strange reason...) If you can't do it via VGA - then does your PC have a DVI connector you can connect to an HDMI input on your TV.

Last edited:

rjames

Novice Member
When I view a movie on my PC the widescreen pic is fine, but when I hook the PC up to 42" Panny via a serial cable, I get bars at the top and the side, and can't get the image to fill the screen properly. (Switching to 16:9 on the TV just stretches the image it to fill it widthwise).

Anyone know of a media player I can use to customise the image size/shape, or anything else that might help? Have tried the usuals, DivX, VLC etc

Cheers
I just gave thanks in my thread when I was given the solution. Did you see my thread on aspect ratio (rjames)? Read my problem and the solution.. I think it is the same..

Cheers!

James

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Not sure it is the same - this problem sounds like the 16:9 TV is displaying differently to a 16:9 monitor - which suggests to me that the PC doesn't think the TV IS 16:9.

rjames

Novice Member
Not sure it is the same - this problem sounds like the 16:9 TV is displaying differently to a 16:9 monitor - which suggests to me that the PC doesn't think the TV IS 16:9.
might be worth a try.

Imaolmao, mother of all aspect ratio wizards! This is bloody well IT. When I select in general option menu -remember last window size and position it fills out everything like i wanted it.

I allready used the step by step increasing size but I wanted a fixed setting for all different video sources.. Now I have!

Thanks for coming to the rescue!!!

High respect:clap:,

James

rjames

Novice Member
might be worth a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaolmao
media player classic, when playing

right click -> "video frame" -> "touch window from outside"

or leave it on "touch window from inside" and press 1 or 9 on the keypad to enlarge/shrink till your happy.

tim1882

Cheers for the replies. I've narrowed down the problem, but still have no idea of the solution..!

The TV has grey vertical borders at the side, that will not show an image - it seems not to be able to display any signal from the PC in this part of the screen (the mouse cursor won't go any further at the edges of the TV).

Why is this?
How do I MAKE my TV use these parts of the screen when taking a feed from my PC...?

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom