Aspect ratio for dummie??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wolfwiser, Mar 16, 2006.

1. wolfwiser

wolfwiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Panasonic ES10 DVD Recorder which I believe can record in 16:9 aspect ratio, I also have a widescreen TV (JVC AV32R250EK) which is 16:9 ratio (I hope). I usually record the TV shows on my sky+ and then transfer them to DVD as and when required.

What would the best settings (sky+ and DVD recorder) be for me to archive shows such as prison break, are these broadcast in 4:3 or 16:9? I also like to edit out adverts etc usuing Nerovision express (when I figure how to work it properly at least).

What is the best 'future proof' method.

Many thanks and please forgive my stupidity, its all a bit new to me... :eek:

Any help would be greatly received...

:thumbsup:

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Hi

If you leave your Sky+ box set to 16:9, it will output 16:9 programmes in 16:9 and 4:3 programmes in 4:3 which is exactly what you want.

I'm assuming the DVD recorder observes the WSS signal from the SCART cable and switches accordingly.

If you're reauthoring the stuff using Nerovision anyway, it doesn't really matter as you can reset the aspect ratio at that point.

Steve

3. wolfwiser

wolfwiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Stevelup, thats exactle what I was after, not sure about the DVD recorder I'll have to check, I am using it via the RGB so I'll presume so for now.

All the recordings I've made have looked OK so far anyway, I've not got that far on Nero yet, finding DVDShrink a lot easier, although I believe this uses group of frames rather than individual frames.

I've also transfered files straight to DVD Video via Sonicencoders plug-in on my MCE PC, does the same aspect ratios apply here? (although my LCD Monitor isn't widescreen -yet :( )

Thanks for your help....
    :smashin: