Aspect Ratio control messed up with new EPG

RayP

My Pace HD box had its EPG upgraded overnight. I'm generally neutral about the new planner but there is one big glitch I've found affecting my Panny PH9 panel.

Previously I selected 1080i as the HD resolution and for non-HD channels I could change the aspect ratio. This is quite important for channels such as ESPN Classic.

With the new EPG this is no longer possible and remains fixed at 16:9 for any channel. If I select Automatic I regain control over aspect ratio but the planner resolution is dependent on the channel viewed. HD for HD channels but otherwise only a fuzzy SD. :(

This looks to be a bug rather than a deliberate change. Does this only affect PH owners or have others found the same with their displays?

And the Blue button is going to be a major pain. Combining two functions into a single button is bad. I appreciate the 'back' feature of it but it should be on a separate button and quite separate from favourites.

RayP

Am I the only person who has lost control of aspect ratio on SD channels with HD Resolution set to 1080i?

I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm it's the same on their display please.

muffins

Im not sure if I really understand what you are trying to say.

New and old EPG if you have the resolution set to 1080i, then all channels HD & SD will show in 16:9.

On my TV I can change the aspect ratio manually from the TV remote.

JonStatt

Im not sure if I really understand what you are trying to say.

New and old EPG if you have the resolution set to 1080i, then all channels HD & SD will show in 16:9.

On my TV I can change the aspect ratio manually from the TV remote.

This is correct. 1080i is always 16:9. If the TV provides an over-ride then great...but a lot don't. So if you want to preserve the aspect ratio then you need to use AUTO and not 1080i.

Nothing has changed pre/post EPG in this behaviour as this issue has nothing to do with the Sky box at all.

hardeepr

Novice Member
Am I the only person who has lost control of aspect ratio on SD channels with HD Resolution set to 1080i?

I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm it's the same on their display please.

No issue with my PX70. (Thompson box.)

However I'm pretty certain that the inability to change aspect ratio when watching SkyHD on 1080i has existed prior to the new epg but it only effected certain models/brands of TV.

I might suggest rebooting the box - it may just be a temporary glitch. I 've had the odd HDMI issue linked to leaving it set to 1080i and a reboot has fixed it.

RayP

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I'm mistaken about the aspect control but I was pretty certain it was possible to change SD channels under 1080i.

Anyway, I can switch to Auto easy enough. Compared to the Blue button fiasco this is not a big problem.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom