1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect ratio confusion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Scoobycity, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Scoobycity

Scoobycity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I've just ditched my Rear projecton telly and ordered my first front projector. Its a Dell 3300MP which seemed a reasonable spec for the price I paid.

Firstly, has anyone else had any experiance with one of these? They seem to be more aimed at the PC market rather than HC but apart from it having a native 4:3 I can't see any other problems.

Secondly, Although I haven't recived it yet I'm making plans for the screen. I just want to get it up and running for the xmas season to start with so was planning on painting a panel with white emultion for now and get a decent screen later on.

As its a 4:3 ratio projector does the screen need to be 4:3 or can I just zoom in so the borders will apear above and below the screen? Will the black bars be visable or will they blend with the surounding wall?

Thanks

I wasn't sure if this would be best off in the screens forum but this seems as much a projector issue as anything. :)

2. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you can zoom.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    From what I can gather the accepted advice is to build a screen the same aspect ratio as your projector.

I have a 4:3 PJ and a 4:3 screen (made by canabilising a £20 IKEA blackout blind over a wooden frame). Works fine and means I can play PS2 games and watch footie VERY large.
    If you build a 16:9 screen you will only be able to use a very small area of the screen for 4:3 material (older films, TV shows, some games and some sports). Unless the extra height will be a problem then I'd recommend the 4:3 option.

That said if all you're going to do is paint some MDF with Icestorm then you might want to splash out an extra £5 and try one of each. Won't cost you much more and will educate you for when you buy a 'proper' screen.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  5. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple solution: buy a pull-down screen (at 4:3 or square aspec ratio) and pull it down to different heights. A constant height mask (a black sheet) at the top will make it even better.
    Note: that most films are not 16:9. They are usually 2.35 or 1.85. This way you can always set the screen at the correct aspec ratio (limited by the fact that the roller does not stop at any point for manual screens).

6. Scoobycity

Scoobycity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help :)

So if was viewing a widescreen film on it would the top and bottom borders contain any light (even the top edges)?

What I'm getting at is... would you be able to tell its a 4:3 projector?

7. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would be able to tell, but if the areas out of the screen were black (or dark enough) it wouldn't be so disturbing.