Aspect Ratio change

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wattsonp, Dec 3, 2001.

1. wattsonp

wattsonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just my DVD players or does every body get some aspect changes during viewing? that is the wide screen bars move up and down for a few seconds, flattening the picture in some DVDs.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I used to get this with my old Sony WS TV.
    It only happened when viewing the 4:3 extras on an anamorphic WS DVD. It would constantly flick between 4:3 and WS. As if it couldn't decide what format it should be in.

Not sure if it's the fault of the disk, as it happened on ALL disks of this type.

The only way I found to cure it was to switch the auto format off on the TV.

Not sure if this is what you're getting, but HTH.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The extras on some DVD's seem to be filmed in a mixture of formats which results in constant autoswitching when viewing them.

The film itself is only recorded in one format so the aspect ratio shouldn't change within the film.

The worst thing for constant autoswitching is MTV and the other music channel and of course, adverts.

Ian

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon it isn't an anamorphic widescreen dvd or it's a wharfdale dvd player or it's not set on 16:9.

If you have any of the above and your tv is set in auto-guess (stretch and crop) mode, then it is having problems with the black bars.

It is not a fault. It is just what you get for trying a zoom mode which isn't meant to be used with that particular transmission/recording.