1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect ratio and Scalers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cutes6, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi everyone and as I haven't posted for a while happy new year to you all.

I have an Ellie 2000 and love it so much that I use it for watching a great deal of Sky not just dvd, I have a 4:3 screen and with my pronto I constantly switch between 4:3 and 16:9 ratio which I have got used to so no big deal.

What is starting to annoy me is that my Ellie struggles to converge both aspects correctly so I have to set it up properly for one or the other aspect or converge it somewhere in between and have it slightly out for both. Does anybody have a cost effective solution to this problem?

My thoughts were if I could have a device that configured a 4:3 aspect image to 16:9 in height but obviously narrower on the sides then I could converge the Ellie for this aspect and set the electric screen accordingly. I am sure this can be done but here is the catch ! Xmas was expensive and the funds are a bit low so is there a cost effective way i.e a few hundred £'s to do this ?

Maybe I should add what equipment I have :

Ellie crt
    Denon 3802
    Sky +
    Pioneer 636 dvd

All this is connected to the Ellie via Svideo

If there isn't a cost effective way does anybody else out there with the Ellie have a similar issue with convergence between these aspect ratios if so what's the solution or is there any other way ?

Thanks in advance

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you set your SKY box to out put 16x9 doesn't that do it automatically.

TIP Don't for get to save the SKY setting or it will just do it once (but I can't image anyone getting caught out by that for 2hours whilst they try to resize the image a real professional would know that of course:blush:).

If there are other sources then the ISCAN has such a feature but I've not heard of anyone using it with an Ellie.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    No this will not work Roland.

Gotta go have some dinner. Back with some ideas later...

Gordon

4. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Roland and Gordon for responding,from reading this forum for a long time I know you guys have a lot of experience with crt pj's etc, so I look forward to any ideas you may come up with.

I suppose the other way to look at it is If I can cure the convergence problem then I could live with it.

When I bought the Ellie I had no experience what so ever with crt's and I still get a buzz from the shear size of picture etc, however like most of us we want more and as our experience grows we notice things that were not important at the time and I must say that the convergence thing is started to annoy me !

Is this problem I am having a common one or is it just my machine, or am I expecting too much with the investment I have made or do I have a problem, any other Ellie owners out there and what is your experience ?

Roland,
    you are into Barco's in a big way if I got one of your machines would I have the same problem trying to set it up to converge it spot on for both aspects. I hear lots of good things about 808's and watching the american AVS forum they seem extremely popular. If they can converge spot on then I may be interested, what sort of money are they as a rough guide and which machine should I consider bearing in mind we use this as our main tv every day. My electric screen is an 8ft 4:3 model and I have around 14ft of ceiling of space to play with. I would be very interested in what you have to say.

Gordon,
    you have posted many things on scalers(if that's the right phrase) and your comments on my situation (original post)would be very welcome

Ellie owners,

I would be very interested in your convergence performance for different aspects and any tricks or tweaks you have done to get the best out of it, also having spoken to Jim (screens uk) he mentioned getting glass lenses to improve picture quality, has anybody else gone down this route if so are they worth it and what lenses do I need to buy and where can I get some s/h ones as new will be too much, does anybody have any, again any feedback is very welcome

Mike

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Mike: Sorry for delay in replying..

Re read the thread now and one of Rolands suggestions will work...sort of. Changing Sky to 16:9 will not re-size 4:3 image inside a 16:9 one but it will give you better picture when they broadcast an anamorphically stretched picture.

Using the Iscan will allow you to use the 16:9 convergence setting to view anamorphic AND 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen. You would still need your original 4:3 convergence bank for watching letterbox images on this screen though. (ie the Iscan doesn't have ability to stretch letterbox images and "anamorphise" them as it were, so they can be viewed as if anamorphic)

So you have a problem whereby the drift between 4:3 and anamorphic settings is different meaning when one is OK the other isn't. This is probably due to the analogue convergence nature of your unit. It is also not able to do 4:3 inside a 16:9 screen although it can come very close I believe (in fact didn't Jim say it can now?)

Anyway, what you want to achieve with the Ellie is using a unit with it that is low cost that will allow you to use ONE convergence setting for all three aspect ratio's of letterbox, 4:3 and anamorphic. The problem there is that all the scalers that can do this trick and are under £4000 will not do it at the resolutions supported by your projector. You have to get something better. The Rock Plus will do this I think at 480P so perhaps you can get hold of one of those s/h traded in ones TAW were selling from folk who went to RockPlus spec...

If you can put up with still using two convergence settings and you still want a 16:9 screen then an Iscan is likely to do the trick.

If you want more then you'll have to look at changing the projector to a digital convergence chassis model and getting an off board scaler or HTPC. (You could try the HTPC route with the Ellie but I believe that although some folk have this working others have struggled)

As for changing lenses. Does Jim not have any s/h lenses left? I think you'll find it'll make the image a fair bit sharper if all else is set up well.

All the best,

Gordon

6. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a note on the 2nd glass hand lenses for the ellie 2000 i almost bought one, and wanted a set of the 2nd hand glass lenses fitted,but was informed he had not had any `for a long time`:( ,i`ve not pursued it any more since then,i think that was last Nov.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.