1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect controls on component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I have now changed my DVD player to a component one.
    Now my PV500 doesn't sense the aspect so I just wanted to confirm the settings.

I have to set mine to zoom 1 to get correct aspect on 16:9 and 21:9 DVD's
    Have I got this right?

2. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The majority of DVDs now are anamorphic widescreen which means that you set your screen to 16:9 irrespective of whether the movie is 16:9 or 2.35:1. 16:9 movies will fill the screen completely, but 2.35:1 movies will still have black bars at the top and bottom. If you use zoom mode on your screen you will get rid of the black bars but the picture will be in the wrong proportion and you will see tall, thin people. Basically, an anamorphic picture is a squashed in sideways picture. The 16:9 mode on screens just stretches it out sideways. The zoom mode stretches out pictures vertically and sideways.

Some DVD players have a zoom mode for anamorphic pictures so that you can get rid of the bars at the top and bottom of 2.35:1 movies and still retain the correct proportions. However, you will lose some of the picture off the sides.

Occasionally you come across non anamorphic widescreen DVDs, particularly some older ones. These need to be zoomed into.

Then there are some DVDs, such as Wallace and Grommit that are in good old fashioned 4:3 and don't need any stretching at all.

You can have great fun trying all the different settings to find the correct one for each move, but generally the 16:9 setting is the correct one for recent DVD receleases.

3. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just make sure dvd player is set to 16:9 and leave tv in the same mode (16:9 or wide) - dont worry about black bars these are for super wide films (2.35:1 as mentioned above) that you get in cinema.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    When I set 16:9 I have black bars on top and botton on 16:9 DVD's :eek: , when I use zoom 1 it fills the screens and all the info is still there at the sides :confused:

5. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wat film? make sure dvd is set to 16:9 too. Some films are labelled as 16:9 - but are still 2.35:1 in a 16:9 frame (with black bars recorded into video)

6. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saving Private Ryan (which most own!) should fill the screen. Kill Bill (again which most own) should have black bars even on 16:9 screen.

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    ok, lets try and sort this out.

Most new DVDs are anamorphic wide screen. This means that the dvd in question has a picture that can be displayed normally or squashed vertically.

When the DVD player is set to 16:9 anamorphic and the DVD disc is encoded in this way, the picture gets sent to your display squashed and then the display will set its aspect to wide mode streching out the picture and showing it in its correct format.

A film such as saving private ryan (which was mentioned above) was shot in 1:85:1 screen size this is the same aspect as a standard wide screen tv and as such will fill the screen. If you are not using the 16:9 wide mode on your dvd player you will be able to fill the screen by using the displayes zoom function and then get rid of the black bars.

With a movie like kill bill or starwars it is slightly different.
    In wide mode or zoom mode, because the movie was shot in a wider format (2:35:1) you will still see black bars. It will however be to a lesser extent than if you were watching the movies on a standard 4:3 TV.

I have my Viera connected Via componenet cables, The Veria will auto detect an anomorphic pal (region 2 ) dvd but has to be set manually to wide mode for NTSC (region 2) I have the display set to 16:9 wide all the time anyway so it makes very little difference to my viewing.
    Dave

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I will have to check when I get home, I am sure I have got the DVD set to 16:9.

I have just got a new DVD player and component leads so I have never had this problem before.
    I know if the film should fill the screen or not by looking at the back if it is 1.85:1 (16:9) or 2.35:1 (21:9), I also tried he same DVD's using a SCART and these were in the correct aspect (but on a different DVD player)
    I think it must be the DVD player, will try SCART from DVD player tomorrow.

I think it is me being a numpty :confused:

9. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I understand about aspect ratios, anamorphic etc.

I sounds like to DVD is not set correct, I may set it on Auto rather than 16:9.

11. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can't always go by what's written on the back of the DVD box. The easiest way to tell is to set your screen to 4:3 and if people's faces look thin, or objects which should be circular look elitptical, then it's anamorphic and you should set your screen to 16:9. If people and circles look normal then you can zoom as many levels you want to get rid of black bars. Most DVDs are anamorphic so you should only need to set your screen to 16:9.

12. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Most screens auto switch aspect when triggered by a signal on one of the scart pins. When changing to component this is no longer available and auto switching doesn't work. However, some screens respond to a signal in line 23 of the picture and this should work over component, but very few devices support this. My PWD6 on auto switches on the scart and nothing else.

13. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I haven't watched any DVD's on it yet so haven't noticed, but I was checking the problem Flying Big is having with his black levels, using Shakespear in Love and I noticed the picture was only filling about half the screen and were squashed, but when I put it on zoom there were only small bars, as there should be.

14. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That sounds like a non anamorphic widescreen DVD, it's just letterboxed.

15. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I tried it when I got home this morning, it was the DVD player, I knew it :mad:

It must have set itself to 4:3 letterbox when I took out the mains plug to move it. :smashin:

D'oh

:boring: :boring: :boring:

16. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Glad you sorted it out.

17. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Maybe off topic but worth noting ... with component, I believe the widecreen flag is encoded within the picture (line 80 or something :confused: ) ... this appears to work great on Region 2 / PAL discs but is missing from Region 1 / NTSC discs.

Therefore, don't expect Region 1 / NTSC to auto switch to widecreen. You'll need to manually change the aspect on the TV.

Mark M

18. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's line 23 I think. However, most devices don't support this. It certainly doesn't work on my PWD6.