1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking the impossible - April 04 Summary

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nasos007, Apr 27, 2004.

1. nasos007

nasos007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello from a newbie forumite,

In the recent few months I have wanted to get my hands on a HDD DVD recordable unit for the living room.

Having followed the recent trends and the reviews/threads on this website/forum, I would like to draw some conclusions.

Price wise, there are a few dvd recorders and a few hard disk recorders in the £200-350 bracket.
    But do get one that will do both and you are looking £400+.

I will quickly mention the Thomson DTH7500U and the DTH8000U. There apparently is an LG RH4820 although I haven't seen it. I've got nothing against Thomson or LG. They are definitely catching up to the big players but there is just something holding me back. I haven't seen any of the equipment so I cannot comment about build quality.

So nunew33 has noticed the latest Toshiba RD-XS32B for £415.99 at unbeatable.co.uk (more like unbeliavable). This sports an 80GB Hard disk and DVD-RAM as well as the usual DVD-R. It's older sister the RD-XS30 has 60GB.

The next model which has caught my little eye is the Pioneer 5100 H-S. Again with a 80GB but here with DVD-RW and DVD-R. The main reason I single this HDD-DVD recorder, is it's editing package. Which I believe is only rivalled by the Pannys.

The Panasonic E100 comes around £800. I've seen this in a shop and it certainly looks the business. But it surely is too much?? Is it really that good or are Panasonic catching the market this niche market with loads of publicity/promotions and keeping the price high? This has 80GB, with DVD-RAM and DVD-R.
    The E85 is around £500, it too has DVD-RAM and DVD-R.
    Please correct me here, but the only difference is that the E100 has an SD card and PC card slot. Does the PC card slot mean that you can connect it to a home computer network?
    Why else is there such a large price difference?

Please give me your thoughts. I will endeavour to go to Tottenham court road and see the cheapest prices I can get for some of these models (or more you may suggest), although I think they will be close to online prices. Although you get to play with them straight away and take things back as the shops are near where I live (hopefully this shall not happen - it has happened once in my 10 years of shopping there).

Nas

2. rwgdegraaf

rwgdegraaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why does no one mention the JVC DR-MH30 wich sports a 160Gb HD and has DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM? This one got mine attention but I really like to have a review on it first.

Rene

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    From what I can glean
    Tosh RD-XS32 has DVD -RW too.

JVC uses -RW in same way as RAM (ie VR and FR), tosh doesnt.
    Unbeatable have JVC at around £520

4. nasos007

nasos007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apologies Rene,

to be honest, i went to the jvc.co.uk and jvc.com and it has no HDD DVD recorders!

but you are right:
    the DRMH30 can be found at Electrical Discount for £510.
    http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co....59&PHPSESSID=6a312373c61dc8cbb8b288664311b7dc

But no review yet, anywhere, i'm afraid.
    Nas

5. nasos007

nasos007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found the Japanese Toshiba website. You will find info on toshiba models RD-XS32, 35 and this one 41.
    http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/dvd/e/lineup/hdd/rd-xs41_02.html

It seems to be exactly like the RD-XS35 only it has more connections at the back AND an ETHERNET for connection to a Network (look at the bottom of the page, Rear connections, number 4). Does anyone have any other details on this model?

Also, if I have a friend who goes to Japan often buy this for me. Would I have any porblems using it in the UK? I can imagine two possible problems, power and PAL/NTSC?
    How can I find out if there is a problem with power voltage difference?
    Do you think they would make the Japanese model only NTSC or will it have PAL tuners?

nas

6. Vman

Vman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rwgdegraaf...I hate you ;)

I had all but decided on the Panny E85, totally ignorant of the monster JVC... but now you have mentioned it.... I feel I need to hang fire a while till some reviews come out. damn damn and thrice damn :)

7. rwgdegraaf

rwgdegraaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate me?????

I was waiting for a long time to read some reviews on the JVC but apparently no one his these recorder allready!

So I took the risk and I ordered this recorder last monday. I allready spoke the supplier and they told me their expecting the recorer half of may.

When I have the recorder I will try everythin with it and I shall post a review of this one. I have big expectations!!

I am sorry you hate me, but maybe you love me later for this!!?

8. nasos007

nasos007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent nearly two days looking for a review of the JVC model.

Haven't found a review....
    Have found a couple of shops selling it with literally no review.
    I have found two shops who claim it has 80GB HDD (will endeavour to name and shame)

Not even the JVC home website claims to have manufactured this model (by the way - their website is shockingly bad).

I guess, we're waiting on you.
    Nas

PS Two quick questions:
    firstly connecting the DVD recorder to the PC. How many of you think that it is good to have? Worth waiting for the Toshiba RD-XS41?
    secondly: copying a home made DVD onto a blank DVD. I've heard that the best machine is the pioneer 5100 which does it in 20mins. How fast is it on others? Is it really complicated on other models?

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    For trhe XS32 check the American website www.avsforum.com the DVD to HDD then DVD issue is covered there

The JVC has an 80G version DR-MH20

10. Vman

Vman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only joking - hence the -> :)

Like I said, I was planning on getting the E85 in mid may, but will wait now till I know more about the JVC. Just hope Sony or someone dont plan to release a better HDD DVD Recorder in June !!!