Asking Opinion: Can the XSX SSD keep uo with PS5 as the 9th gen of consoles move on

aesnjk

Novice Member
Reaction score
I own both consoles and I've noticed that the load times are faster about uo to 4 seconds on the ps5. Granted the PS5 has around twice the raw speed of the XSX, but I was wondering as the 9th gen moves on and more developers utilise the powers of the consoles, can the XSX SSD speed keep up with the PS5.

Well no, but does that really matter, who cares if you have to wait a few seconds longer, with quick resume you can actually get back to playing quicker anyway.

Besides it’s not like third parties even use the Sony ssd properly, you’ll get any Sony game loading in like three seconds whereas the majority of multiplatform games will have nigh identical loads on both machines.

Given that the load times are more or less identical and there are absolutely no tangible benefits beyond that I’d say the hype and marketing over the SSD has been shown to be a complete busted flush.

Gaining a second here or there is irrelevant especially as some games load faster on Xbox.

The biggest question is whether the hardware machine learning that is in the Xbox but not the PS5 will further increase the power delta between the two. Recent games have been showing the expected gap in power between the systems and the Machine Learning possibility of some sort of DLSS like option would be fascinating.

I think it will actually go the other way in that hardly anyone apart from sony exclusives will utilize the faster SSD speeds of the PS5 as most games will be designed for the slower more standard SSDs used in xboxs and pcs

I think it will actually go the other way in that hardly anyone apart from sony exclusives will utilize the faster SSD speeds of the PS5 as most games will be designed for the slower more standard SSDs used in xboxs and pcs
Given the bottleneck in most games now is the CPU in terms of loading and the Xbox CPU is slightly faster…I’m not really sure that you need design anything round a specific SSD. Most of this talk was just pre release marketing.

Once this gen gets properly underway and devs harness the respective systems, the full suite of RDNA2 features and velocity architecture, along with machine learning capability of the Xbox will push the bar further. The fact some Sony games may load a second or two faster is so irrelevant compared to various other deficiencies.

Once this gen gets properly underway and devs harness the respective systems, the full suite of RDNA2 features and velocity architecture, along with machine learning capability of the Xbox will push the bar further. The fact some Sony games may load a second or two faster is so irrelevant compared to various other deficiencies.

It's certainly possible, but the multiplats they will just build for the market leading PS5, I’d be surprised if they go above and beyond to really push the boundaries with the two Series builds.

It’s hard enough getting devs to support the cool bits of the PS5 after all, third parties rarely take full advantage of the rapid storage and there’s plenty that seemingly don’t even use the Kraken compression properly.

Series X is more powerful but the performance delta between the two would need to be orders of magnitude greater before I noticed it and I play both consoles daily, back when I had PS4 and Xbox One I never noticed I was playing mostly 900p games on there compared to full HD titles over on the Sony machine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom