Askdirect and returns, my rights advice please?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by 182, May 4, 2007.

1. 182

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. Need some advice on returning a 50PX70 to askdirect. I recieved the tv yesterday and i'm not happy with a few things, eg colour banding, soft picture, some slight motion blur and buzzing. I've told them I want a refund not a replacement. They will only give me a refund if i transport the plasma into london and can show them the faults. They will not just let me send it back to them and get a refund. If they can't see the faults then they will only refund me after charging me a 15% restocking fee.
    I'm sure this is not the way it should be?
    As far as i'm aware i should be able to just reject the goods as not fit for purpuse and get a full refund without having to prove anything to them?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,768
    I take it you purchased this by mail order over the internet?

If so, just quote the distance selling regulations to them.
    More details here:
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/buying-selling/distance-selling/index.html
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_re...ance-selling-regulations/cancellation-periods

You have within 7 days to return the item (at your own expense) for a full refund, for whatever reasons you want.

EDIT: I also noticed in the 2nd link above that it says you may not even have to return the item, but just make it available for collection. That needs more looking into though.

3. 182

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Thanks mate. I didn't buy it online, you can only buy in store.
    I guess this makes things mroe complicated?

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,768
  5. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It's perhaps unfortunate that you chose the 50" version? My guess is that all the problems of the picture you describe above are due to you buying a TV too large for your viewing distance? What's your viewing distance?

Colour banding, soft picture, some slight motion blur and buzzing are all features of the PX70 in varying degrees depending on the size of TV/Viewing distance ratio.

My guess is that you might find the 42" more suitable? I'm using a 42" and experience all your problems to a fairly minor degree - My viewing distance is 2.5 metres & a 50" PX70 at that distance would really be asking for severe problems of the kinds you describe.

None of what you experience are faults with the TV. You can't use the DSR's as you bought in a shop and I think you'll find that ASK are entitled to some compensation (for instance the 15% re-stocking fee) for you returning the TV in an opened and used condition which they will have to dispose of at some cost to them.

Your best way out of this considerable 15% charge is to negotiate with them for purchasing a 42" which may be more suitable due to all artifacts/phenomena largely decreasing.

What's your viewing distance? Measure it, don't estimate it.

WHEN, WHEN will people stop buying from shops and instead purchase on-line for 7 day DSR protection!

Look and compare products in a shop, yes, but purchase on-line. Sorry shop owners.

6. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You could have hit the nail on the head there IsThatTheTime!

I have the same tv and find that my viewing distance is between 10 and 12 feet but any closer and the picture starts to go downhill fast.

I jumped from 42 to 50 and was very suprised at the difference in size.

7. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes it's huge.....Look at a 37" and a 42" and a 50" in a shop, and you can see the MASSIVE proportional increase between a 42 and a 50....yet there still persist a large number of people on this forum who say "Well at that price I could afford a 50" instead of a 42" preferring size rather than quality of picture/aesthetic design/improved spec.

The classic at the moment is the PX70/PX700 debate. There are people saying no to a 42" PX700 Because they can get a 50" PX70 for about the same price!

Instead of going for a size TOO BIG for your viewing distance, buy the best that suits all your needs, for instance the rather nice PX700.

8. Mister-E

Mister-E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too close my arse! Colour banding, soft picture, some slight motion blur and buzzing all thats missing is some snakes! If you bought it with credit card contact them and get it changed or money back your entitled to both if its not fit for purpose. I've seen px60's (50) at 8 foot that look cracking on SD and are not soft and most importantly do not buzz their tits off! I'm sure many px60 and 70 owners will testify to having a good set. Whilst it is all subjective we dont know how bad this set is, to say your sitting too close in my view is an insult lol likewise I could be wrong and the person is being way too fussy, but chances are the person is not and is even trying to say oh the set will be ok untill that crucial point comes where you cant take no more and go nope this is total garbage for £1300 hard earned readies. But thanks for the post I now know never to buy from ASK :)

I would also add to isthatthetimes top advice is also buy with a credit card every single time!!!!!!!!

9. stuart w

stuart w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What extra rights do you get with buying with a credit card? Surely they can't force the retailer to take it back and give you a refund, can they?

10. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Can't agree on most of your points.

Firstly, following the recent software update on the px70 mine on freeview is now awful, yes its brighter and sharper BUT all thats done is magnified background noise, and increased the fizzing pixels in the whites of the picture, the equivilent picture for example off chanel 4 via Sky is now considerably better.

With HD you are supposed to sit closer to see the extra detail ie 50in you sit up to double that distance, 100in otherwise the detail drops off.

Was at a mates at the weekend and his Panasonic 37PV500 £2.5K (their finest hour in my opinion) is substantially better than my 37PX70 £750. No picture noise, no fizzing pixels, nice and sharp.

All the other points are I'm sorry are traits of this set, period.

I think Ask are being quite fair, they are not obliged to do anything because there is nothing wrong with the set. I have just spent around 10k at Ask for a project and their service is faultless, I had 1 faulty item after 6 weeks and it was exchanged without fuss or question.

Finally the point I agree with is there are many satisfied owners of these sets, great, that is the most important thing, but sadly the OP is not and he can see the flaws that I see, the only reason I am reasonably satisfied is for what I paid I dont expect anything more from it and it is a secondary set for my kids in their playroom, it is simply not high enough quality to sit in my lounge.

182 you have some decent kit in house I would have thought a Pana PH9 would be far better for you as this is vastly superior especially as you have a VP30 scaler, I would just put it down to experience, accept Asks offer and go get a PH9.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I am with ******** here, the PX70 is a good screen but it does show all these problems that 182 is describing, I have a 37" and can see them and I am sat 10-12ft away from it. I have a 42PHD8 in the main room and from 8-9ft I don't see any problems at all, although I did with the 50" which is why there is now a 42" there.
    So I guess it is a bit of both maybe?

How close are you?? I would want to be at least 12ft from a 50" screen, but better to be 15ft.

I have also noticed the fizzing pixels, in fact only noticed last night, almost like you need to turn the contrast down to get rid of them, but by the time you do the picture is flat and lifeless. Really annoying and glad it is my second screen and not the main one. May have to put Sky in there now.

12. 182

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that maybe this perhaps wasn't the correct purchase, but now after running it for a few weeks it's absolutely brilliant. Yes there's still some banding but it's really not bad now it's settled down, theres no buzz anymore and motion seems very good now also. I was at first expecting to much from this set i think. I'v come to except some of it's flaws and appreciate that for the price i paid it's a great sceen. It ony cost me £100 to upgrade from my 42PV500 after i'd sold it to a mate. I'm just gonna live with it until the new pio's come out and see if it's worth upgrading again then.
    As for askdirect. I would never buy from them again, not only were they very rude when i talked to them about returning the set, they never gave me a receipt so i've had weeks of arguments with them trying to get the receipt to claim the 5 year warranty with panasonic. Oh well i'll put it all down to expreiance and move on.
    Thanks for your replys all. :smashin:

13. deanos

deanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    The distance selling regulations are not a "try and buy" regulation, you are not entitled to use the product and then send back if you dont like it

14. David_S14

David_S14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think you'll find you are

15. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Firstly the OP has basically finished this thread.

Secondly some people are getting confused here.

The OP did not buy on line he brought in the store so he is NOT protected by distance selling.

If he did buy over the net then he is protected.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I tink you could argue as a retailer that watching the set for a few hours makes it no longer new, ie turning it on is not reasonable care. I don't sell over the net, no axe to grind here, just common justice. Do your re3search before buying, get the right screen and save yourself a load of grief.