1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Electronics on Tottenham Court Rd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ppao, Dec 11, 2002.

1. ppao

ppao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have just read about JL pricematch, I am wondering if anyone have had any experience with Ask Electronics on Tottenham Court Road, London.

I am eyeing on the Sony KV28FX66. JL's retail price is 895 but Ask is selling it for 800 including delivery. I am not sure if JL will pricematch that. Even if yes, JL is currently out of stock with that model and I will probably not get my new TV before Xmas.

Does anyone has anything to say about Ask Electronics?

2. goa

goa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PPAO

Why, my good friend, would you want to spend £800 of your hard earned cash on a tv that currently retails at £729 tops? :eek: If you don't want to try for a JL pricematch then buy from www.rgbdirect.co.uk. They are currently offering the 28fx66 for £729 including delivery. RGBDirect have an outlet in Barking Lane, Ilford, not too far from the Exchange Centre. I've been there was very impressed with their set up. Alternatively you could search all my posts for more information on the JL pricematch deal :cool:

Anybody else can think of where our friend PPAO can get the 28fx66 for less than £800?:p

Your ever helpful
    Goa
    :)

3. goa

goa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PPAO

By the way, I've never heard of Ask Electronics - not likely either judging from the cost of their 28fx66

4. ppao

ppao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Goa

I have read some horrible stories about online shops i.e. they don't deliver on time, faulty goods, long wait for refunds. How reliable is RGBDirect then?

Thanks PPAO

5. goa

goa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PPAO

If you live in the London area then RGB Direct will be ideal because you can always march into their Ilford branch and demand answers if they mess you about. Although I've never bought anything from them I've been to their shop and I'll say that approx 80% or more of their sales are done via the net. I've read somewhere in this forum that RGB Direct and PRC Direct are from the same stables (PRC has not endeared itself to some of our forum members) - I am not convinced, I think they are separate operations that both happen to be based in Ilford.

I also like the human touch when buying so when I was hunting for my tv set I visited both PRC and RGB and because their sets are dearer in shop than on the net I asked them to match their internet prices. PRC was happy to do so but RGB wasn't. My advice is, if you don't want to hold on for a JL pricematch (which is what I went for in the end, 5yrs free tv warranty, £150 off sony dvd player, 2yrs dvd warranty :D), then purchase from www.rgbdirect.co.uk over the net and follow up your purchase with a visit to the store. That would encourage them to speed up delivery, and everything else for that matter :D Of course make sure that RGB offers onsite maintainance for their sets before you take the plunge.

Remenber, you could pay £800 and get a bad service to boot. There is no guarrantee that paying over the odds will equate to brilliant service. I happen to like JL but know from this forum that they are not everybody's cup of tea. I'll buy from the net but only if the company I'm buying from has an outlet not too far from where I live. If not, then the initial savings that you make could be cancelled out by the nightmare of trying to get an after sales service.

Goa:)

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I suggest you don't buy anything in Tottie Ct Road except furniture from Heals or Habitat. As an eternal optimist, and because it's a street I pass through every day, I have been into most of the electronics retailers there and have never found them to be anything but high-priced, unpleasantly pushy and not at all knowledgeable. For excellent prices and service from hifi/home cinema enthusiasts I recommend you head a mile north to Superfi in Camden High Street. I have no connection with this outfit except as a satisfied customer.

7. ppao

ppao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your advice.

I just rang up JL Oxford St to ask them to pricematch against Ask Electronics or RGB Hifi & Video. At first, they said that they will not pricematch any online retail but I guess since RGB has a shop in Ilford, it is an expectional case. They promised to get back to me within 24 hours.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

PPAO

8. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't vouch for Camden, but I agree with Bernard about superfi. The Sheffield branch are the same.......Superb customer service, patient and knowledgeable.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    TCR is fine if you do it properly. Pay cash and haggle. If you ain't happy with the price walk out the shop. They would rather make 5quid profit on a definite sale then and there rather than mess about with someone who wants a couple of quid off and eats up their time before asking if they do interest free credit...

I normally tell them what I'll pay and then let them fight it out with the manager. ( recently I even got an HD for 3 quid less that I said I was prepared to pay for cash... havn't worked that one out yet??)

Saying that I did buy my last CRT in John Lewis and got them to match empire direct.

I then had to haggle with the manager to get the delivery price taken off: his point was that the price match was not including delivery charge of 20quid , mine was that JL don't charge delivery anyway so whats his problem. The fact I had 1100quid in hard cash in my hand meant I got the price I wanted. there was no way they'd risk me walking out the store with that much hard currency just to skim another 20 off me. Got accosted by a besuited flunky again as I went to pay at the till who haughtily demanded that I pay the additional delivery charge. I just stayed put with a massive christmas queue building up behind me and told him to go and speak to the manager. Eventually he just gave up and gave me the price I wanted as I fanned myself with my wad!

10. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry Keith, I really don't think that's good advice on TCR. The generally unhelpful attitude of the people there - even when you're buying! - leads me to believe that if PPAO bought something there and it went wrong, he'd have a miserable time getting it rectified.

11. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Got a Garmin EMap from ASK in TCR years ago. Good price (not many places were selling them then).

Important thing is to do your research beforehand, know what you want, know what is a good price and what you'll pay, and only then wander down TCR and look and haggle.

Saying that if you like close to an online retailer who's got a good price and others say they're OK and JL won't price match I'd say use them.

Richard