Ask a Personal Trainer

kpjf

Hi

Info:
Almost 40 year old male
5 feet 7 inches, 60 kilos (that’s been my average weight for the whole of my adult life, so very very constant)
Started running again regularly (after about 2-3 years of stopping)
Eat quite healthily (almost zero processed meals) though too much of a sweet tooth (chocolate addict) and have recently got a bit of a belly that I need to lose!

I started on this youtube video this week and Bob Harper mentions (6 minutes in) using up to 12lbs for this workout, which equates to about 5.5 kilos (he mentions less for beginners). I had a doubt about something on the video and asked a question on a music forum I sometimes visit. Anyway, at the same time, I asked if 2 x 3kg weights would be ok for this kind of workout.

One guy seemed to suggest I was a little girl for choosing such light weights and recommended me going to gym, suggesting that I’ll lose motivation at home in spite of not knowing me at all (I’m more than happy doing a workout in my flat alone!). Then another guy said oh you’ll outgrow 12lb weights in no time. In other words, I guess he was saying it was a waste to buy them.

However, in the video linked it looks to me like the weights the 2 guys are using are not that heavy and my intention is not to get pumped up with massive biceps, just fit and a bit stronger.

Any opinions on what size of weights to buy? As I say I'm not looking to get massive and don't want to focus on bench pressing, purely weight lifting as that kind of stuff would demotivate, bore me and make me give up ;)

Thanks in advance!

starfarer

is your body weight a typo? 60kg to me is very light for your height and age. Crossfit guys will have better answer to your questions.

sim12

Hi

Info:
Almost 40 year old male
5 feet 7 inches, 60 kilos (that’s been my average weight for the whole of my adult life, so very very constant)
Started running again regularly (after about 2-3 years of stopping)
Eat quite healthily (almost zero processed meals) though too much of a sweet tooth (chocolate addict) and have recently got a bit of a belly that I need to lose!

I started on this youtube video this week and Bob Harper mentions (6 minutes in) using up to 12lbs for this workout, which equates to about 5.5 kilos (he mentions less for beginners). I had a doubt about something on the video and asked a question on a music forum I sometimes visit. Anyway, at the same time, I asked if 2 x 3kg weights would be ok for this kind of workout.

One guy seemed to suggest I was a little girl for choosing such light weights and recommended me going to gym, suggesting that I’ll lose motivation at home in spite of not knowing me at all (I’m more than happy doing a workout in my flat alone!). Then another guy said oh you’ll outgrow 12lb weights in no time. In other words, I guess he was saying it was a waste to buy them.

However, in the video linked it looks to me like the weights the 2 guys are using are not that heavy and my intention is not to get pumped up with massive biceps, just fit and a bit stronger.

Any opinions on what size of weights to buy? As I say I'm not looking to get massive and don't want to focus on bench pressing, purely weight lifting as that kind of stuff would demotivate, bore me and make me give up ;)

Thanks in advance!
I think you are a touch confused about your healthy eating. It's tough to avoid processed foods and credit to you if you have achieved that, but all that good is undone with the old sweet tooth, chocolate, crisps etc all the nice stuff will more than undo any benefits of healthy foods.

As for the gut that will likely be a byproduct of poor diet, combined with a lack of a proper core/ab routine, but that's easy anough to fix with a decent and continued core workout about 3 times a week that should get it done in a about 4 months give and take.

kpjf

I think you are a touch confused about your healthy eating. It's tough to avoid processed foods and credit to you if you have achieved that, but all that good is undone with the old sweet tooth, chocolate, crisps etc all the nice stuff will more than undo any benefits of healthy foods.

As for the gut that will likely be a byproduct of poor diet, combined with a lack of a proper core/ab routine, but that's easy anough to fix with a decent and continued core workout about 3 times a week that should get it done in a about 4 months give and take.
In fairness, I think it's pretty hard to accurately analyse someone's diet based on my comment that I have a sweet tooth and judge that all of that is completely cancelling out my generally healthy meals. It would have been different had I listed my typical daily intake then you could have rightly analysed it. It's not like I'm scoffing chocolate, buns and cakes on a daily basis, but of course I'm not denying it was sugar related, just that I don't think it is such a degree that it cancels out any healthy eating otherwise.

Of course, I need to cut down on sweet stuff (and have already been doing that for several weeks now) but putting on a belly could also be in small part due to age. Metabolism slows down with age as research shows. Anyway, I appreciate your advice 👍

is your body weight a typo? 60kg to me is very light for your height and age. Crossfit guys will have better answer to your questions.
Nope. As stated I have been 60 kg (give or take a few kilos) ever since I can remember. It's the way my body is like some people have big bones and no matter what exercise they do will always be on the large size. Well, I imagine that's the case and don't think it's something I'm ever going to change unless I want to change my diet and hit the gym hard.

I just went onto a BMI calculator and typed in my weight and height, under the results this section appeared:

Health aspects

Your weight is at a marginally lower level; in our view, it still should still be fine for your health. By classification of the WHO, you are "normalweight".

Being slim due to fitness is good for your health. In contrast, being slim or losing weight due to nicotine, or a reduced appetite, poor digestion or a serious disease would be a bad sign. Thus, your health prospects are excellent if you do not smoke and if your weight remains stable.

SBMI = 31/70

This assessment is based on the newly developed Smart Body Mass Index. Its ideal range is between 30/70 and 39/70.

Your Smart Body Mass Index (SBMI) is calculated as 31/70 or "31 points out of 70".

Last edited:

starfarer

Thanks for details on smart BMI :). Mine came 46/70 and an obese :(. Not that I knew it but comparing numbers, I do now suddenly feel like a very very fat man :mad:.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't worry too much about BMI. Mine says obese and I'm anything but.

When it comes to putting on a belly, another common thing around this age is lower level of testosterone hormone in men. Your body naturally slows down the production around mid 30s IIRC. Some men earlier, some later. There is plenty of info on the net about modern men having more estrogen than they should and less testosterone than they used to. Too much male estrogen is linked to big belly, gynecomastia and many other negative things. It is thought, that much of today food is at cause here. One example is beer. Beer is meant to be linked to higher level of estrogen and as we all know drink a lot of beer = big belly.

Being similar age, I have been thinking about checking my hormone levels, but I don't have much faith in my GPs. They are all kids straight after university. I don't think they will know much about hormonal therapy. I would need to get them to get me an appointment with an endocrinologist, but that won't be easy.

IronGiant

No reputable doctor will refer you to an endocrinologist because you want to look like Arnie :D

PS you read too much rubbish on the internet ;)

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
No doctor will refer you to an endocrinologist because you want to look like Arnie :D
There are plenty of private TRT clinics that would be more than happy to do everything by mail without me having to leave my chair. However, the costs are extravagant.

BTW I don't want them to get me steroids for free. I want to check my hormones to see if everything is ok. If yes, then great. If not, then I want to do something about it.

IronGiant

There are plenty of private TRT clinics that would be more than happy to do everything by mail without me having to leave my chair.
There's your problem, you need to exercise more :devil::D

(joking)

starfarer

I'm fat and an obese tho :D. I know someone who is 62kg (M 5.4 43yr) for almost all his adult life and he looks very tiny. New years resolution I'm going all out war on weight loss .

Never seen younger GP's and don't think they're new graduates from uni. But do have similar thinking to yours on trusting GP. Anything serious I always insists on going for tests (blood,ultrasound, xray etc).

Back to topic and on kpjf's question.
1) Yes you'll outgrow 5kg DB if consistently worked. Bio-mechanic as body will adapt.
2) Motivation up to you. Hardest part in gym is not to lift but to walk through the doors.
3) Size of wts to buy - on the video they're using DB for almost 40mins!! without any rest. If starting first time, always with the lowest weight you can do with proper form. Maybe better to try if have access to someone else's weights if not IMO 5kg/each is a good starting weight. If proven too heavy for exercise, you can adjust the time of exercise.
4) Never bought one but don't think DB are that expensive. Lighter weights are always good for warm ups in future. You'd probably used to it's worth anyway by the time you've moved up.
5) No experience with crossfit but don't think their main objective is to contest in bodybuilding shows. Right instructional video if the goal is to be fit. Don't worry you won't have massive biceps and legs with those.
6) You'll buy the next weight up in future anyway. Progressive overload and body adaption. Most important now is at what weight you can perform those exercise in good form.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
I’m 43, 5ft9 and find motivation to exercise very difficult
I am however, pretty much the “smallest” I’ve been since a teenager
A little over 12 months or so I was a 38 inch waist. I’m not between 34 and 35
I’ve gone from struggling to fit in some xxl shirts to having some xl ones be too small

I’ve done this mainly by walking
At least 5 out of 7 days I walk between 7 and 9k
30 minutes to work. 30 minutes back and most days 20 minutes or so at lunch

my Apple fitness goal is 650 calories a day and I do this pretty much 4 out of 7 days

but I just need to do more
I want to loose that final inch. I want to get under 34” but don’t know how

im a snacker
And I snack on what’s easy. Usually crisps or chocolate.
I tend to have a tuna salad roll or a sausage roll for lunch most days. Despite the fact bread really does disagree with me and bloats me up

I’d like to get back running but again I struggle

would I be better off cycling to work rather than walk ?
pit would just be a gentle road cycle, but would I burn more calories this way than walking ?

I guess I’d like to be able to push my daily calories from 650 to 700 and at least do that 5 out of 7 days

are there any home workouts that don’t need equipment that may help? Some thing like the joe wicks things?

roymunsen

I’m 43, 5ft9 and find motivation to exercise very difficult
I am however, pretty much the “smallest” I’ve been since a teenager
A little over 12 months or so I was a 38 inch waist. I’m not between 34 and 35
I’ve gone from struggling to fit in some xxl shirts to having some xl ones be too small

I’ve done this mainly by walking
At least 5 out of 7 days I walk between 7 and 9k
30 minutes to work. 30 minutes back and most days 20 minutes or so at lunch

my Apple fitness goal is 650 calories a day and I do this pretty much 4 out of 7 days

but I just need to do more
I want to loose that final inch. I want to get under 34” but don’t know how

im a snacker
And I snack on what’s easy. Usually crisps or chocolate.
I tend to have a tuna salad roll or a sausage roll for lunch most days. Despite the fact bread really does disagree with me and bloats me up

I’d like to get back running but again I struggle

would I be better off cycling to work rather than walk ?
pit would just be a gentle road cycle, but would I burn more calories this way than walking ?

I guess I’d like to be able to push my daily calories from 650 to 700 and at least do that 5 out of 7 days

are there any home workouts that don’t need equipment that may help? Some thing like the joe wicks things?
650 cals per day is horrific for a grown man, I wouldn't expect my kids to function as little.

Although you've no doubt dropped weight with this calorie deficit, it's not ideal long term, and will have eaten into some of your muscle mass which will make you more likely to gain the weight back later on.

Use an online calorie calculator to gauge your maintenance level, shave off 500 calories per day, monitor weekly and adjust accordingly. I'd also throw some weight training into the mix, it will help to keep the weight off long term, give you a better looking physique, and preserve bone density.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
So 650 is too high ?
It’s what the watch recommended. It was 500 for ages. Then went to 600 and slowly got to 650

just to add, this is “calories burned” I think. It’s certainly not my calorie intake

All I do is walk in terms of “fitness”.

Wardy257

These watches are terrible for accuracy. I would half whatever your watch says. Also, the more we do something the more efficient we get at doing it (fitness). Therefore, mix and match what you do. Add weight, change routine, go faster, go further etc.

roymunsen

So 650 is too high ?
It’s what the watch recommended. It was 500 for ages. Then went to 600 and slowly got to 650

just to add, this is “calories burned” I think. It’s certainly not my calorie intake

All I do is walk in terms of “fitness”.
Sorry I must have misread. I'm assuming you're burning those calories and not eating them.

Like Wardy says, you're unlikely to be anywhere near the numbers you're getting.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Ah ok. Cheers
Never really knew that
I know the heart rate is accurate as it has given same results as tests I’ve had at hospital / doctors so always assumed the calories burned was the same. Thanks for that.

I’ve gone from just over 16 stone to 14 in 12 months or so.
just need that last stone. Maybe I should try running again

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Have you stopped dropping weight? If not, just carry on as you are and you'll continue to drop, albeit maybe a little slower.
im a snacker And I snack on what’s easy.
Then buy things that are better to snack on and be prepared with a good snack ready to go. You can't eat what you don't have. For a decent diet to work it needs to be ready for you when you want it :)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
5) No experience with crossfit but don't think their main objective is to contest in bodybuilding shows.
Crossfit has no goal set on how you look.

To quote another site...
The CrossFit ethos holds that adherents train to enhance 10 key physical qualities: cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance and accuracy.
Jack of all trades, master of none :)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Wasn't supposed to be funny :D

I do Crossfit and it's the best training I've ever done. I like the jack of all trades style.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Kipping pullups I'll give you, although at our gym we're always told to stick to strict pullups to build strength first...only then should you move on to kipping. As for burpees, a Crossfit burpee is a proper burpee so not sure what you're referring to :)

Most people who laugh at Crossfit have either never done it or only seen some poor form videos online. I used to be the same and take the mickey until I started.

reiteration

Distinguished Member
the crossfit burpees I see are for speed and they'll just flop their bodys to the floor before jumping up...if that's a proper burpee, then so be it...

as a finisher I'll do 100 (in sets mind, as I'm old!) where when I jump down to the raised pressup position - I will lower myself down like a normal controlled pressup (body barely the floor) before launching myself up again...
oh, and I wear a 20kg vest whilst doing them too :)

Last edited:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you described a burpee....you just prefer to do a slower and more controlled movement on the way down. Either way, the movement has been performed, neither way is right or wrong.

Good stuff on the vest...I'm a long way off needing a weighted vest for anything.

reiteration

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you described a burpee....you just prefer to do a slower and more controlled movement on the way down. Either way, the movement has been performed, neither way is right or wrong.

Good stuff on the vest...I'm a long way off needing a weighted vest for anything.
yeah, takes practice, but was surprised at how fast using one has accelerated for me - as I was doing 10x10 without one for ages, then got a vest back in august (10kg) and started with 5kg then added weight to it weekly and have been doing 20kg for a while now (adding plates, but got a 20kg one now), but only able to do 20x5 sets with 30 seconds rest...

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Afternoon!

So i'm 39, male, 13st8lb, after most of a lifetime of not excercising I took up running around May this year. Started off fairly gently doing 1.5 miles a few times a week and slowly building on that.

Now i am running 5km 4 times a week and adding in a 4-5 mile at least once a week to try and build up endurance and distance.

In all the time I have been running through I have suffered from painful shins post running, assume its shin splints? Also had some trouble with aching achilles which some stretching seems to have alleviated.

I run in Nike Air Pegasus 35, I had my gait checked recently and was told its "pin straight" so a neutral shoe is fine.

Any tips on what I can do to try and help these painful shins?

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Wardy257 try to do at least 2 rest days a week, shins particularly sensitive today after pushing it last two days so will rest the weekend

Will watch the video too, thanks :)

Stampax

This seems like an appropriate thread to post in - lots of useful advice though must admit to not having read all of it! For someone just starting to try and loose a bit of fat and add some muscle, what protein shakes are recommended? Are they just gimmicks and full of bad sugar?

reiteration

Distinguished Member
if you have a decent diet then they're not needed...

take creatine tho, at least 5 grams a day, and upto 10gr if you don't respond to it...research it.. :)

works well with beta alanine if you work hard - I'm 49 and do 100 burpees with a 20kg vest (as a finisher) using this combo.. ;)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
What protein shakes are recommended? Are they just gimmicks and full of bad sugar?
They're not a gimmick per se, but too many people use protein shakes "just because", without even thinking about why they might want them or if they even need them.

They're a SUPPLEMENT to your normal protein intake. Until you can say what your normal intake from FOOD is then you don't know if you need to SUPPLEMENT it :)