Ask a Personal Trainer

Hi Wardy, kudos to you for putting so much back in the forum, nice one.

So I have a thread about weight loss more diet based but to steal a line from American Beauty, I want to look good naked. My problem is if it is anything too detailed I just know I won't stick to it.

I honestly don't know my cardo from my what ever so would be great if you could recommend me a really simple regime that I could do perhaps 20 mins of each day at home with no equipment that will give me good general results of looking good. I don't want to beef up exactly, just get a bit more (any!) definition and firm up the wobbles in conjunction with my diet.

I currently cycle to and from work about 15 minutes fast pushing it each day, like to walk but don't do much else other than a few pilates stretches for my back. I've always liked the idea of have good core strength but that would just be a bonus, looking good naked and not wobbling are key!

I guess a Premier League footballer would be the ideal physique I'm looking for, of course if I can get a little close to that than where I am now I'm happy :)

Cardo I always assumed if almost 'being fit'? To give you an idea of where I'm I could cycle for for hours but struggle to jog half a km without a break. I might do the odd run of literally 1km as it really gets my heart pumping but the key is simple and I can do at home.

Thank you and sorry for rambling!

Bluedroog, I'm not an expert and I've got a lot of learning to do, but I think you need to decide what you want out of it first and take a good honest pragmatic look at it all.

I used to be super fit and very strong from a lifetime of martial arts, swimming and I'd have a punt at anything that came along if the chance arose. Fast forward 10 years, lost a lot of strength and fitness and gained a lot of stomach.
I wanted to get fitter and lose fat, not overly bothered by big muscles.
I'm in the fortunate position that my missus is a 6 times a week gym rat and a trained nutritionist so I get no shortage of advice and the chance to eat the right food.
So, I started running. Did the couch to 5k app and can now comfortably do 5k in 30 minutes and have lost inches off my waist although my weight hasn't dropped much. This has enabled me to start doing other exercises so I can swim now too and today I went to the gym with my missus and did a kettlebell workout.
I want to continue to slim down and get fitter. I'd love to exercises from home but if I'm honest, I'm not that motivated so I either wouldn't get started our I'd end up cutting it short.?
You say you can cycle for ages but can't run much, I'd suggest then that you will get more benefit from more running than you would from more cycling.

So what I'm saying is that I've found knowing where I'm starting and where I want to be, let's me tailor the exercises to what ones I like to do, for the best results for me.

Thanks Shodan, I really want to try the kettle ball workout (one of the Williams sisters in the headphone advert looks like it would get results!)

Last time I got down to 80kg down from around 120kg (I didn't get on the scales then!) I felt great but never quite got the perfect results, although very happy. My stomach was, although reasonably flat a bit flabby and unfortunately got stretch marks on the stomach now, I'm wondering if surgery might even be an option after some more work (on the skin, not liposuction). Perhaps not worth it though. I'd also like to firm up under my arms and give my chest more definition, not massive pecks but just firm up.

You'll always look skinny fat if all you do is cardio, there's a lot to be said for the correct strength and conditioning programme suited to you and your goals. You will not get massive without specifically trying too and even then it's not a quick process. Find a decent S&C coach and speak to them about a program for you is the best advice, anything is more fun than jogging.

So over the last few days I've done a 5k run on Monday, kettlebell workout Tuesday, heavy weights workout on Wednesday (including the first time doing deadlifts, built up from 30kg + 20kg bar to 70kg +20kg don't sets of 5 before I stopped at the 90kg as I was losing the form - absolutely loved it!), rested yesterday and I want to do weights again today. Actually as I'm working nights it'll be at 6am on Saturday but that will fell like it's late afternoon or early evening.
However my triceps and forearms still ache a bit so I'm wondering what I should do?
My aim is to burn fat and strengthen up a little so I'm thinking maybe chest and back and some planking based exercises with some deadlifts because they made me feel amazing!
What do you all think?

Either one of these for abs, just be careful, they're actually tougher than they sound.
Lower the handles of a TRX, get yourself in the planking position, put your feet in the handles (should be just off the floor). Get into a plank (on your elbows / forearms), and "saw" back and forth, while keeping the plank and keeping control.
Or, using one of the soft balls whatever they're called, plank with your knees on the floor and your forearms on the ball; roll back and forth on the ball by using your abs to go from almost straight back to a sort of mini ab crunch (facing down obviously).
Simple but effective.

So over the last few days I've done a 5k run on Monday, kettlebell workout Tuesday, heavy weights workout on Wednesday (including the first time doing deadlifts, built up from 30kg + 20kg bar to 70kg +20kg don't sets of 5 before I stopped at the 90kg as I was losing the form - absolutely loved it!), rested yesterday and I want to do weights again today. Actually as I'm working nights it'll be at 6am on Saturday but that will fell like it's late afternoon or early evening.
However my triceps and forearms still ache a bit so I'm wondering what I should do?
My aim is to burn fat and strengthen up a little so I'm thinking maybe chest and back and some planking based exercises with some deadlifts because they made me feel amazing!
What do you all think?

I'd stick at it - it'll take time and there's no shortcuts... :)

yep, your forearms and triceps are small muscles and will be sore after workouts, but it'll come...

Thinking ahead to my next gym session.. would it be ok to do different exercises to work the same muscles? I know different exercises will work the same muscles in different ways and use different secondary muscles and ligaments etc. But I'm thinking of flat bench dumbbell flys, dumbbell press etc for the chest.

I'd say yes - as long as you've been doing it for a fair while at least...

typically my routine is something like -
monday kettlebell class

tues - day off

wed - push routine -
warm up of cable flyes
4x8 sets of cable flyes (16kg) just under shoulder level then superset with 10 pressups
4x8 sets of cable flyes (16kg) at one notch lower then superset with 10 pressups
4x8 sets of cable flyes (19kg) at one notch lower then superset with 10 pressups (tho, I'm only able to do around 115-117 pressups in total)
then I'll do some shoulder work - dumbell presses, then some rotor cuff work, then onnto my triceps -
3x8 skull crushers supersetted with them to my chest (x8)
various cable pulldowns/kickbacks from different angles - normally 6-9x8 sets

thurs - pull routine -
12x5 strict pullups at various angles (I don't go to failure -thus, allowing me to do more)
3x10 cable rows with narrow grip
3x10 cable rows with flat bar
3x8 dumbell rows - resting on incline bench and holding for 3 seconds at top
then I do various bicep curls - typically starting off with -
3x8 ez bar curls
seated incline dumbbel curls - supersetted with hammer curls
cable contrentration curls

fri - legs
5 minute run on treadmill
5x5 squats - ass to grass style
5x8 leg curls
3x10 lunges
45 minutes run home up hill - 3.5 miles...

basically - if you want good improvements then you need to work hard

and you don't build muscles in the gym - they get ripped and torn, it's actually the food and rest where they repair and build... :)

@reiteration My word you're an active boy! Where's your compound stuff though? Can you do deads, over head or bench at your gym?

@reiteration My word you're an active boy! Where's your compound stuff though? Can you do deads, over head or bench at your gym?

hi - yep, it's just the current routine I've been doing - hi reps... I was doing dead lifts until I strained my back ages ago, was upto 160kg, and 85kg bench (was doing this up until 3 weeks ago on a monday night but have just went back to kettlebells), and I do a lot of pressing at kettlebells - typically presses, clean and press etc for upto 10 minutes a go... :)

but - I'm going back to a 5x5 routine (think I mentioned it on here) after my hols in the middle of aug... but I will be sticking with my monday class - and my friday night run home from the gym (in decent weather as it's country roads), so, will need to do a routine where i can do it wed, thurs, and fri... :)

Back in gym after a week's rest. PB on bench press @95kg (1x3 rep without spotter). 100kg now looking so much closer :thumbsup:.

For last 3/4 months I've gone with bro splits- chest, back, shoulder + leg. It fits well with the lifestyle as I can go either 2/3 days in row, a day or two off and back for 1/2 day before the week's end. This way I'm hitting gym easily at least 3x a week and few times even 4. With day on/off routine, too much unknowns and pressure. Anyway it's working well and keeping the interest high.

Let me know if anything need changing/adding. Eg today's Chest workout:
flat BP: 60kg 2x10, 80kg 3x8, 90kg 1x5, 95kg 1x3
Flat DB fly: 22kg 3x8 1x12 1x10
DB Pullover: 20kg 1x8 28kg 1x8, 30kg 1x8 1x7 1x7 (failed)
Decline BP: 80kg 2x8, 1x6 (failed) 60kg 1x12
Incline DB press: 26kg 3x8
Cable Lower Chest Raise: 15kg 5x8
Seated Machine fly: 59kg 3x12 (to compliment DB fly)
+ bicep curls

Total time: ~1hr 40 mins (excl shower)

Thanks.

Thanks Wardy. Forgot to add it was my day off so could spend more time on gym and some sets were worked as extras. On usual days, I do average < 1 hr 30 mins doing these exercises including 12 min cardio warm up. Thinking of alternating flat and decline BP but some bros think I'm working far too less (3x8 5/6 exercises per body part a day) :(

I've your "quality over quantity" firmly pasted on back of my head and most exercises I do on back, shoulder, bicep are with low weights. Even for the heavier ones, I do "resets" monthly trying to improve on form plus technique including pauses, explosive concentric, controlled -ve, muscle squeezes etc. Does someone with high body fat % ~25-30 will still benefit with less volume/work? I've rest periods of ~90s in sets and ~3mins between exercises.

Will post back workouts later today.

before I started my 5x5 I was doing hight reps and high volume (to an extent) - but I'd do 3 days in the gym (plus a day of heavy kettlebells and cardio), and my sessions were gennerally a push, pull, and leg day... and something like - on this post here -

Ask a Personal Trainer | Page 26 | AVForums

Today's workout:
Seated cable row v-bar:63kg 1x8 70kg 3x8
Lat Pulldown: 49kg 4x8
St arm cable pushdown: 28kg 4x8
Barbell Row: 55kg 4x8
T-bar row: 50kg 4x8
Incline DB Row: 18kg 4x8
DB row: 26kg 3x10
In between inverted rows
Total time: ~1 hr 10 mins

Missed seated row as the machine was out of service. I know it does look too much but just want to do as much can be possible to hit the upper and mid backs. Started with 12mins on rowing machine for warm ups and finished on machine flye.

Balance I found most effective for me in improving the form, load and time available. It's been 18 months which should be long enough to come up with serious plan but I'm trying to be consistent on gym visits with daily life's troubles. I've tried 5x5, 12 reps, cuts (lasted only a week :() but decided my first and foremost target is to get that missing gene of gym rats. With 8 reps, I've enough energy to do another set in 60-90s, complete whole 3 sets or extra & look forward to put more weights in few weeks. Importantly, I'm very satisfied how my workouts are working, has added few more exercises for future programme, becoming a regular face in gym and I'm still posting here :).

I do dearly love to have muscle and lose fat but when I do simple calculation of perfect 3x a week, 52 wk/yr, 156 day/yr in gym, no supplements, over 40....Can I really expect a ripped body in limited time frame? Maybe possible but not happening to me at present (ok slight change but not major) and I've planned to continue for many years. I've my eyes on few workout plans and will be starting soon with hypertrophy types first.

What do you suggest? When to start on specifics (rule#3 Common gym mistake) considering that strength is still going up and 1RM is unknown?

First to have some muscles on body. Not massive but ok/average type. ATM I'm on ~25-30% body fat (comparing on pictures) group and I definitely need to cut some there. Not sure which is easier- to lose fat or build muscle but so far I'm enjoying doing the weights.I'll be more happier with some muscles with fat rather than loosing fat with no muscles gain. Problem is lifting wts and to gain I need more calories and whether that's the correct way for someone with high fat%.

But less time in the gym, bit more time in the kitchen is the normal way to make the sort of changes you are looking at. However I never realised what a minefield nutrition was until I and my missus started learning a bit about it....

First to have some muscles on body. Not massive but ok/average type. ATM I'm on ~25-30% body fat (comparing on pictures) group and I definitely need to cut some there. Not sure which is easier- to lose fat or build muscle but so far I'm enjoying doing the weights.I'll be more happier with some muscles with fat rather than loosing fat with no muscles gain. Problem is lifting wts and to gain I need more calories and whether that's the correct way for someone with high fat%.

You can't out train poor nutrition, the foundation is the prep you do in the kitchen, training is the easy part. Unless you've got a holiday planned there's no point in being ripped in autumn/winter as you'll be cold and hungry whilst everyone else tucks into Christmas dinners etc. Aim to hit your calorie maintenance for now and develop the gym habit. If you still want to drop some timber around February time begin with a deficit and have a nice easy lead into spring/summer but sort out your nutrition first what ever you do.

Thanks for replies but to clarify, I'm not looking into fat/weight loss but for muscle development & strength.

Aim to hit your calorie maintenance for now and develop the gym habit.

^^ is the main problem. What kind of calorie maintenance do I need if starting with high body fat%? The gym science is to go on surplus when lifting for muscles but I don't want anymore fat than already have. On deficit, lifting could damage health or greater risk of injuries which definitely I don't want.

Using BMR calculators, I get 1800 - 2600 depending on activity level, highest being "moderately active". When I did calorie logging last time, I was at ~1800-2100 which is same as the lower estimates on BMR. No change on diet front and body weight has remained constant throughout the year so my belief is that above maintenance level is thereabouts. If it is so and if I continue to lift making progress on loads, what kind of developments I'm making (muscular??)?

I briefly read somewhere (can't find the link now) where it was advised that people with high body fat% should ignore surplus diet theory and hit as heavy as can be possible. Could be another bro science but it's an interesting idea.

Have a look on the last page of my diary thread here Diary of a novice strongman | Page 20 | AVForums

There's a link to the PT who wrote my nutrition plan and she's very knowledgeable. I dropped a lot of body fat whilst on 4000cals a day and have stayed that shape since, though now I'm ready to get back up to 130+

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom