Asian Martial Arts / War Films

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Cliff, IP Man, IP Man 2 - are probably the most recent Asian films I've watched and thoroughly enjoyed..

If memory serves me correctly, I probably enjoyed the likes of Hero, House of the Flying Daggers, Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon - also more recently at the cinema that 47 Ronin (though a little more forgettable - was entertaining enough)

After some Googling, the likes of Fearless interest me - I can't actually remember if I've seen it.

So I think this paints the picture of the polished modern asian films with impressive fight scenes. Has anyone got some suggestions for me that I should see?

Cheers

prefer more gritty movies like ong bak and warrior king,
om Yum Goong

The Raid.

Ok, to expand... The Raid is quite a gritty one, actually - I see you're more interested in the "polished" stuff... Mulan (yes, there's a movie version of it), is very good, as is Jackie Chan's Little Big Soldier. I also recently watched Saving General Yang, and I can't recommend it enough!

Red Cliff, IP Man, IP Man 2 - are probably the most recent Asian films I've watched and thoroughly enjoyed..

If memory serves me correctly, I probably enjoyed the likes of Hero, House of the Flying Daggers, Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon - also more recently at the cinema that 47 Ronin (though a little more forgettable - was entertaining enough)

After some Googling, the likes of Fearless interest me - I can't actually remember if I've seen it.

So I think this paints the picture of the polished modern asian films with impressive fight scenes. Has anyone got some suggestions for me that I should see?

Cheers

If you enjoyed all those films then you've earned your Chinese wings and might be ripe for spreading those wings a little further.

Ku Fu Hustle is a martial-arts based comedy. The first Chinese (Hong Kong) film to have me in stitches. There's some epic and thrilling one man vs a hundred men scenes that are amazing. Sound quality in those scenes is top notch. First five minutes are a bit weird but stick with it.

Back to Zhang Yimou films, if you have fallen for Zhang Ziyi then check out The Road Home, if you can find a copy. Not a single fight scene, though. Beautiful, warm, heart-breaking story that only viewing it could possibly convey. The opening scenes are black and white and deliberately bleak. Again, stick with it until it jumps into colour. Best watched alone, IMO, as it is moving - in a wonderful way - and needs no distractions.

Actually, you could do worse than working your way through all the Zhang Yimou catalogue for starters.

From what you've said, I think you'll enjoy. You might find it's more than just the fight scenes that won you over to Chinese cinema, so far.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I will take a look into these

I've seen Raid, and also when Old Boy came out in Hollywood I watched the asian version instead and enjoyed that. Also seen Kung Fu Hustle, and Shaolin Soccer :)

From what you've said, I think you'll enjoy. You might find it's more than just the fight scenes that won you over to Chinese cinema, so far.

Thanks for the suggestions - when I think about IP Man, my favourite bit was when he fights and seriously injures 10 japanese soldiers. Without spoiling why, it was a very heart felt moment :D

forgot about

fatal contact
flash point
fighter in the wind
arahan
13 assassins
13 blades - excellent
the city of violence
curse of the golden flower
bodyguards and assassins - excellent
the warrior
the lost bladesman
ichi
house of fury
born to fight

what has happened to tony jaa, made nothing new for years now

Not much... Had a falling-out with the guy who directed Ong Bak and Tom Yung Goong, made some pretty crappy sequels to Ong Bak on his own, became a monk, that kind of thing...
He'll be back soon though, allegedly...

A little older than those mentioned but "fist of legend" staring jet li

It came out in 1994! I feel old, I've been watching them since the 1980s. I love the old Shaw Brothers 'Shawscope' stuff like One Armed Swordsman.

Also, check out the Lady Snowblood and Lone Wolf movies... and watch some Hanzo the Razor :laugh:

SPL-sha po lang (kill zone).

Shaolin Soccer is more my style!

Kung fu hustle is worth a watch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom