1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asian box sets on ebay

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by chrisebabey, Dec 27, 2004.

1. chrisebabey

chrisebabey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Are those box sets on ebay i.e Alias and 24 from asia (region 3) copys or official releases, and whats the quality like compared to say an official region 2 box set?

thanks

C/B

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,102
    Do they say region 3?

A lot of the Asian dodgy copies on Ebay will say all region or no region or something like that.

Have a look at a site like DVDcompare.net
    It compares all the different regions/versions of a particular DVD.

Also check the price they are charging. If it's ridiculously cheap then it's probably a copy. Can you post a link to the auction and I will have a look.

Cheers
    Greg

Happy Christmas

3. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought X-file season 1 Region 3 around a year back, about half the price of UK RRP. The box, discs etc look original to me. Picture/Sound are nothing special but thats not down to the dvd, so that doesn't give much away.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    Best thing to do is pop the discs in your computer and get a program called DVD Decrypter, it will tell you all you need to know about the DVD and from that info you should be able to tell whether its a pirate or not.

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Also, a lot of these box-sets are factory 2nd's that didn't make QC. Some of the discs may not have burned properly, or may have damage/marks from the manufacturing process.

Official sets, yes, but official quality? probably not.

6. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought some 'Imported' babylon 5 DVDs - the complete box sets- of ebay. Before purchasing I emailed the seller stating I had a very large screen (100" Hi Def Projector) and would only buy if I could return the items if not happy. He agreed, and soon after they arrived through the post. Straight away you could tell they were copies. not really bad copies. but definatley copies. I play DVDs through the PC, so decided to see how large the files on the disk were. Through DVD decrypter it showed they were single sided DVDs, and hence the poor quality (half the storage capacity!) :nono: :thumbsdow . The disks were mass produced as they were all stamped and labelled, but NOT imports!! My recommendation would be to stay clear! I did get my money :smashin: back no hassle, but he did have a very high rating (unlike many!)

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,555
    :lesson:
    Er.....thats alright if you've ALREADY bought the DVD, but not much use if you're looking to buy!

8. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm not too sure about this but does the region code make any difference when putting it into a dvd-rom drive to check it against the decrypter prog?

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,941
    Well you could always buy it, then check it and if its not legit you can ask for a refund, doubt the seller will refuse.

10. tichtich

tichtich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Reviving an old thread...

I was recently looking for a 7-season boxed DVD set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was the first time I'd looked for DVDs on ebay, and I was interested to see lots of cheap sets advertised as "Asian imports". They claimed to be legitimate and looked convincing, so I almost bought some. Then I noticed they were shown as "region 0" or "region free", which didn't add up. If these had been legitimately released in Asia, why wouldn't they have region encoding? In the end, I decided to be on the safe side and buy the region 2 set from Amazon instead. I got a very good price and only paid about 50% more than I would have for an Asian set.

I just took another look on ebay, and there are still many of these Asian sets being advertised. I found one that didn't even mention being Asian, and had a picture of a box with English text only, but further down it says "These are foreign manufactured sets and may have foreign writing on boxes and/or DVD's." It's also indicated at the top as being "region 2", but further down it's described as "region free". It also claims to be "licensed, legal". Pretty deceptive, eh?

One other thing I've noticed is that these Asian Buffy sets always seem to have 50 discs, though the genuine region 2 set is only 39 discs. I wonder if that's because the Asian ones are single-layer.

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    just be carefull 99% of films that say region free are copies but as a couple of other members say they still should have a region code if they are from asia ie korea and hong kong is 3 and china is 6,if your not sure as greg says post the link ad we will have a look:thumbsup: