Asia Bibi

Let her apply for asylum. Case will be reviewed and I am of the view she should be allowed to come to Britain. Whether there is trouble or not should not influence the decision.

Her religion is only relevant to the danger it puts her in within her home country - as an asylum seeker/refugee her actual religion should not be a qualification nor negative.

One of the main reasons she may seek asylum in the UK is due to the historic ties and links with Pakistan. The UK has the largest Pakistani population outside of Islamic based countries, we essentially created the country by the partitioning of India.

Asia Bibi is a perfectly clear example of what Asylum is there for - persecution and legitimate fear of violence and death at the hands of both the communities and parts of the administration of the country.
It's just a shame that her ethnicity and religion are being sited by some as a reason for or against her being granted asylum here in the UK - that is text book prejudice.

Careful - you'll upset the atheists.

Most atheists would I assume accept that the UK is a culturally Christian country, run on secular principles.

With only around 35% of the UK population actually believing in a God(of Abraham or otherwise), 38% not believing in God and 27% being unsure either way, secularism seems the best representation of the population.

The 2017 BSA (British Social Attitudes - NatCen) the number of people who describe themselves as having 'no religion' has risen from 48%(in 2015) to 53%.

Yet most of us still celebrate Christmas and Easter, use the Gregorian Calendar because of tradition regardless of whether we believe in the religious aspects or not.

I am sure someone will bring up the Census and 59.5% indentifying as 'Christian'. However:

1) in 2001 that figure was 71.9% - a net loss of 17.25% over a 10 year period which has been a long term trend. By 2021, if the net less is the same, it will be 49.25%.

2) A percentage of people identify as Christian as a cultural identity rather than as a religious one.
Much the same as many Jewish people identify as Jewish even though they do not follow Judaism.
When you compare the numbers of people who attend churches or more importantly, who actually believe in God and compare it to the numbers of people identifying as 'Christian' in the Census, there is a large and clear discrepancy.
So either:
repeated studies and surveys carried out over many years by multiple sources are all completely wrong.
or
approx 50% of people identifying as Christian for the Census are culturally not religiously Christian.

my mum always said that when she ran from the kgb security the most scared was in the police station and they discussed taking her back. she knew it would be a death sentance on a return. as it was she never got to see her family again.

Are we talking Russian KGB ??. Your family must be nervous about opening the front door.

Are we talking Russian KGB ??. Your family must be nervous about opening the front door.

no were fine, mum passed away years ago. the rest of us are nobodies so vlad will not be bothered about us.:)

In Swahili Mr & Mrs is Bwana na Bibi. So I immediately think Asia Bibi as Asia Missus.

Funny how the mind works.

Tell that to my German friend- Mr Cutt

Tell that to my German friend- Mr Cutt

Huh. My parents on holiday in Germany pointed out the lovely mist on the mountains - couldn't understand why the Germans around them were giggling.

So some people want a woman killed because she allegedly said bad things about a non-existent mythical being. Sums up religion IMHO.

So some people want a woman killed because she allegedly said bad things about a non-existent mythical being. Sums up religion IMHO.
And they are all religions of love.

And as I understand it; it all started with a Christian woman drinking some water from the same bucket as the other people. And the Muslims didn’t like that. Just fudgeing unbelievably backwards. Welcome to the 21 century.

Don’t all the good things that are done ‘in the name of God’ also not sum up religion?

Don’t all the good things that are done ‘in the name of God’ also not sum up religion?

Doing good things is fine. It's just the believing in, and doing it because, you believe some made up entity wants you do that gets me. Lots of people are brainwashed with and believe in stuff that is obviously nonsense and they then base their actions on that (up to killing a woman just for saying something that would to any reasonable person be harmless and irrelevant).

Her religion is only relevant to the danger it puts her in within her home country - as an asylum seeker/refugee her actual religion should not be a qualification nor negative.

One of the main reasons she may seek asylum in the UK is due to the historic ties and links with Pakistan. The UK has the largest Pakistani population outside of Islamic based countries, we essentially created the country by the partitioning of India.

Asia Bibi is a perfectly clear example of what Asylum is there for - persecution and legitimate fear of violence and death at the hands of both the communities and parts of the administration of the country.
It's just a shame that her ethnicity and religion are being sited by some as a reason for or against her being granted asylum here in the UK - that is text book prejudice.

So that's her only connection to the UK, that the UK Apparently has a good history of Pakistani heritage?

So that's her only connection to the UK, that the UK Apparently has a good history of Pakistani heritage?

Might be an idea to read up on the partitioning of India, the Commonwealth, the UK labour shortages during the 1960's.

And as I understand it; it all started with a Christian woman drinking some water from the same bucket as the other people. And the Muslims didn’t like that. Just fudgeing unbelievably backwards. Welcome to the 21 century.
I not head of the case until I heard about it last night on This Week. And then read a bit up on the case, and she been working in a field picking berries and asked to fetch some water from a near well and while there found a cup and had a drink of water from it and was told it was forbidden for a christian to drink from the same utensil as a muslim, although there other stuff but seems like a lot witch hunt.
Just seems worse that the middle ages in this country who were like Lilliputians.

We got far worse in this country that should be deported, we should give her asylum.

Last edited:
Does that actually matter? There is a serious threat to live situation. Name one good reason why we shouldn’t allow an asylum application?

She did not actually say anything bad, she merely offered a drink of water to a fellow worker. That person took offence to a Christian offering a muslim a drink and exaggerated the situation out of hand. For that she spent 8 years in Jail. Of course the telltale would probably not have been offended if she had been offered money.

She did not actually say anything bad, she merely offered a drink of water to a fellow worker. That person took offence to a Christian offering a muslim a drink and exaggerated the situation out of hand. For that she spent 8 years in Jail. Of course the telltale would probably not have been offended if she had been offered money.
My understanding of the detail is that the actual arrest and senticing was based on blasphemy, yes seriously :(

Doing good things is fine. It's just the believing in, and doing it because, you believe some made up entity wants you do that gets me. Lots of people are brainwashed with and believe in stuff that is obviously nonsense and they then base their actions on that (up to killing a woman just for saying something that would to any reasonable person be harmless and irrelevant).
I don't think any god worth believing in would want it.

My understanding of the detail is that the actual arrest and senticing was based on blasphemy, yes seriously :(
Apparently there was a row between her and some Muslim women which ended up with them slagging off each other’s religions. Most of these types of cases in India and Pakistan seem to be a way of settling personal feuds and grudges.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom