Ashover Rock

• Thread starter Deleted member 241106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 241106

Had a dodge up to Ashover Rock (known locally as the fabrick) last night and in-between the downpours and gusts of wind i managed a grab a couple of shots, first one is a long exposure and second a b&w conversion. I was lucky to get any shots as the tripod was buffeting in the wind so badly. All good fun though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zone

Much prefer the first one, lovely moody shot, like the movement in the sky also :thumbsup:

snerkler

I've spent many a night as a teenager up there :D

1st shot's a belter. I'm loving all your local shots Rodd, giving me plenty of ideas :)

D

Deleted member 241106

Thanks guys! Yeah Snerks me too, seeing the patches of burnt out campfires really brings back fond memories. It's a great place.

To be honest, i'm getting a little bit annoyed with the sigma 10-20, i don't like how it sometimes makes edges seem superimposed, particularly on contrasting backgrounds. I haven't done any sharpening or detail enhancement on either of the two shots. Any ideas? Was thinking of upgrading to the Nikkor 10-24?

snerkler

Not quite sure what you mean by superimposed, do you mean giving it a HDR look?

I'm not much help with Nikon lenses I'm afraid :(

D

Deleted member 241106

No not HDR, just looks a little like the image of the rock has been added in Photoshop, kinda pops out at you rather than blends. Maybe it's just something more noticeable with longer exposures, or my screen of course.

shotokan101

Suspended
If your tripod wasn't rock steady during a long exposure....... ;)

it may just be slight movement of the camera during the exposure - are you applying any lens profile corrections during PP ?

snerkler

No not HDR, just looks a little like the image of the rock has been added in Photoshop, kinda pops out at you rather than blends. Maybe it's just something more noticeable with longer exposures, or my screen of course.
TBH I love that look and always strive for it, I love things to pop. From what I've read some lenses do this more than others and I think it's down to the micro-contrast. Happy to be corrected of course ;)

Trouble is, when I look at lens specs there's not mention of this so have to dig through reviews. Even then it's very subjective :(

shotokan101

Suspended
Noooooooo......... :D

shotokan101

Suspended
usually.... :devil:

...but in this case it was "Nooooooooo....... not this malarkey again....." :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom