Asda xbox 36o why the rip off?

Miyazaki

Novice Member
I see asda have changed the price of the x360 to £300, claiming that it will be £310 on launch! :rotfl:

I take it this is to circumvent people using the halloween voucher on it? :rolleyes:
 

Only777

Active Member
Probably so that they don't lose even more money from us people who managed to order in time.

I hope they honour the original price?
 

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Games Guru said:
I see asda have changed the price of the x360 to £300, claiming that it will be £310 on launch! :rotfl:
How can they claim to be reducing the price of something that's never even been on sale?!? Bizarre to say the least, and certainly isn't a fair price description.
 
S

steveyg20

Guest
Lorenzini said:
How can they claim to be reducing the price of something that's never even been on sale?!? Bizarre to say the least, and certainly isn't a fair price description.
The world and his dog knows what price Microsoft have set the X-Box 360 at - Surely this could be a good case for trading standards, that is just bare faced lies from Asda, is it not! :thumbsdow :lesson: :nono:
 

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
I've set the wife on the case (she is in Trading Standards), but she reckons that Asda can sell it for whatever they want, as long as they don't claim it's an RRP, which they don't. What they can get done for is pretending they've been selling it for £310 and have reduced it to £300, when of course it has never been on sale. There is a rule to say an item must be on sale for a certain number of days before it can be reduced. We'll see what happens...
 

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
ASDA Lie? :eek: never..... lol take it you never saw the ASDA VS Tescos **** then lol
 

AML

Well-known Member
This sort of over pricing is going on in the US aswell. Some online retailers are charging over 400 dollars even though its only supposed to be 399.99.

They are just doing this because they can, because demand is high for this particular product and demand pushes up prices at first due to stock being scarce.
 

Monty Burns

Well-known Member
AML said:
This sort of over pricing is going on in the US aswell. Some online retailers are charging over 400 dollars even though its only supposed to be 399.99.

They are just doing this because they can, because demand is high for this particular product and demand pushes up prices at first due to stock being scarce.

Supply and demand baby, supply and demand ......


Exactly as you say: There are people out there willing to pay more to get it than its worth, and as long as there are, the price can go up as well as down.
:)


richard plumb said:
so it is actually legal to sell something for more than the RRP?
You can (try and) sell something for as much as you want, the matter of you actually getting the money you want is a diferent matter! (subject to any manufacturer/supplier contracts etc)
 

phorenzik

Novice Member
I did post on another thread about how ASDA sell baked beans and other non game stuff. They haven't got a clue when it comes to gaming, and should not be selling anything other than food. Would you buy a cabbage from a games store???????
 
M

mal60908

Guest
phorenzik said:
I did post on another thread about how ASDA sell baked beans and other non game stuff. They haven't got a clue when it comes to gaming, and should not be selling anything other than food. Would you buy a cabbage from a games store???????
If they had a 360 half price, would you not buy it from them just because they sell groceries???? I doubt it...
 

smashed

Well-known Member
phorenzik... I would buy from wherever is cheapest out of principle.
So you buy food from a supermarket? Does that mean if you want tennis balls you would have to go to a tennis shop instead of Asda as they know nothing about Tennis? Or you would have to buy the CD for £16 from HMV instead of £9 from ASDA as they know nothing about Music either?
I know enough about Tennis, games and Music to make my own decisions. That’s why I pre-order.
If I needed advise on what to buy, then I am pretty sure that any shop assistant will tell you a biased opinion anyway.
 

Pooon

Well-known Member
conker007 said:
Yes. It's a recommended retail price.
Not correct. The RRP was abolished a few years back and replaced by the SRP, which is the suggested retail price so companies are free to charge whatever they want and then reduce the price of that item after 28days on sale(iirc). How else do you think Dixons sell anything for half-price, its because it was twice the price it should of been to start with.

can we have the offical line on this one Munkey, sure the missus will know
 

Monty Burns

Well-known Member
PooonTang said:
Not correct. The RRP was abolished a few years back and replaced by the SRP, which is the suggested retail price so companies are free to charge whatever they want and then reduce the price of that item after 28days on sale(iirc). How else do you think Dixons sell anything for half-price, its because it was twice the price it should of been to start with.

can we have the offical line on this one Munkey, sure the missus will know
:eek: Surley for the purposes of the question his response was correct?

Suggested/Recommended .... Its is indeed perfectly legal to sell above these is it not?
 

smashed

Well-known Member
They have now taken the 360.. and all its products.. off of their website :eek:

Im really hoping that cancellations are not going to appear
 

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
PooonTang said:
Not correct. The RRP was abolished a few years back and replaced by the SRP, which is the suggested retail price so companies are free to charge whatever they want and then reduce the price of that item after 28days on sale(iirc). How else do you think Dixons sell anything for half-price, its because it was twice the price it should of been to start with.

can we have the offical line on this one Munkey, sure the missus will know
OK, the official word is that Pooon is indeed right (makes a nice change ;) ) about the 28 day rule. An item has to be on sale for a minimum 28 days in the last 6 months before it can be advertised as a price to be reduced from. All the suggested/recommended stuff is essentially just a retailer's emphasis change as opposed to a rule change AFAIK.

Strictly speaking though, breaking the 28 day rule is not a criminal offence. However, it would break the code of conduct agreement many larger retailers have with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).

A case could be made for a misleading price indication (which is a criminal matter) if the price quoted was substantially different however.
 

branny

Well-known Member
smashed said:
They have now taken the 360.. and all its products.. off of their website :eek:

Im really hoping that cancellations are not going to appear
Not technically true. Games and accessories are on there still. They have taken consoles off though, who knows maybe because of the questions being asked about there pricing.

If I recieve cancellation, I will raise an immediate complaint with customer service on the basis that they have done this on the basis that people used there nous and got 10% off and will ensure that not another penny is spent in Asda or it's group of stores.

Branny

Update.

------------------------------
Just checked emails and here it is from Asda.............

Thank you for your order with ASDA Entertainment REF:XXXXX



We have issued the discount code “halloween05“ to specific customers & is non transferable.



Therefore as proof of issue by ASDA Entertainment, we require you to forward to us our correspondence offering you the opportunity to receive a 10% discount off your order.



We appologise if this offends, but it is necessary to prevent abuse of our discount codes.



Unfortunately non response of this email will result in your order being void & therefore we will have no alternative other than to cancel it.


---------------------

Advice on rights anyone????

Branny
 

smashed

Well-known Member
I got the same email. We need to know who originally got these codes... and whether they were told the vouchers were non-transferable.
If they werent told that... then I cant see how they can cancel for that reason.
 

Moily

Novice Member
I've e-mailed this back to them:

Not exactly swilling with legal aspects to nail them on, but the best I could do given the anger at their cheek!

Hello,

Unfortunately I no longer have the original correspondence with the voucher code on it, as it was discarded once I had made the order.

I would strongly advise AGAINST cancelling my order. It was made in good faith against products advertised on your web-site. I have not heard of this kind of behaviour before, and sincerely hope it's not an indication of the general direction that Asda/Wal-Mart is taking towards its customers.

If you are going to cancel my order, you can be pretty sure that as many people as possible are going to hear about it, including my local Trading Standards Office, and Watchdog who are keen to hear about such abuses against customer service.

Regards,

Moily
 

Pooon

Well-known Member
Lorenzini said:
OK, the official word is that Pooon is indeed right (makes a nice change ;) ) about the 28 day rule. An item has to be on sale for a minimum 28 days in the last 6 months before it can be advertised as a price to be reduced from. All the suggested/recommended stuff is essentially just a retailer's emphasis change as opposed to a rule change AFAIK.
I'm never knowingly wrong! :D
 
I'm glad I was too late for all this now. Shame, you'd think Asda could afford to have £30 (ish) less profit on a few xbox sales. it's not like they are short of a few quid.
 

Indiana Jones

Moderator
I am just waiting for them to email me saying the exact same about the 15% discount that alot of people were using last week to get games for £33.99
 

LEEMJONES

Novice Member
Xbox 360 has been totally pulled from their site now, or atleast i cant find it anymore. Got a screen grab of it when it was at £279 so lets see what it goes back up at
 

Only777

Active Member
Is it worth trying to fight this though?

They might honour the discount, but then ship when they have stocks and after everybody who paid in full first?

I don't fancy waiting till January to save £30odd quid :(
 

brain_stew

Novice Member
Why do they issue these discounts if they don't ever plan on honouring them? They should have realised that quite a few people would jump at the chance of a £250 360, its their own stupid fault for messing up and they should honour the price given when orders were placed. This coupled with the fact that I've been waiting nearly two weeks for a bloody DVD now means that I'll never use their online store again, no matter what the discounts are.
 

Trending threads

Latest News

Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon introduces DHT-S216 All-in-One soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio legend Ken Ishiwata passes
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky Elstree Studio investment to underpin European productions
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom