Asda to stock £50 HDTV from Boxing Day

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Shoppers who are worried about viewing clashes over the days after Christmas are being handed an affordable lifeline from Boxing Day. Instead of having to watch programmes on an old portable 4:3 format TV in the spare room, people who draw the short straw will be able to buy an HD-ready widescreen TV for £50.

attachment.php

Asda is stocking a Venturer 15.6” LED TV from Boxing Day. The TV will be available in-store and online.

Michael Arnott, HDTV Buyer, said: “This is an astonishing deal and we’re delighted to be able to bring HD-ready TV to our customers at such an amazing price. We’re also glad to be doing our bit to support domestic harmony this Christmas.”

A straw poll of shoppers found that the top Christmas holiday clashes are:

1. Great Expectations (BBC1) 9:00pm -10:00pm vs Big Fat Quiz of the Year (Channel 4) 9:00pm - 11:05pm Tuesday 27th December

2. Eastenders (BBC1) 7:00pm - 8:10pm vs Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (ITV1) 7:00pm - 9:45pm New Years Day

3. King Kong (ITV1) 10:30pm - 11:30pm vs Tropic Thunder (BBC1) 10:45pm - 12:25pm Tuesday 27th December

4. Bear's Wild Weekend with Jonathan Ross (Channel 4) 9:00pm - 10:00pm vs Absolutely Fabulous (BBC1) 9:40 pm - 10:10pm New Year's Day

5. Frozen Planet Christmas Special (BBC1) 7:00pm - 8:00pm vs Come Dine with Me: Celebrity Christmas Special 7:30pm - 8:00pm Wednesday 28th December

6. Great Expectations (BBC1) 9:00pm - 10:00pm vs Paddy's 2011 Show and Telly (ITV1) 9:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday 29th December

Frozen Planet Vs Come Dine with Me? Now that's not a fair fight!

Attachments

• venturer.jpg
    venturer.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,953
"Instead of having to watch programmes on an old portable 4:3 format TV" you say. Why do TV reviewers always have to mock CRT tech? The chances are an old, decent quality 4:3 tube TV will probably utterly destroy this piece of cheap tat in terms of picture quality.

For £50.00 does it matter????

Hey, I'm not saying there's no value for money to be had here at a mere £50. Although I do suspect the set is a false economy and will be pretty naff. I just resent the way all journo's like to make it sound like its a waste of time owning one of those silly old CRT TV thingies anymore. I own Plasma and LCD, but you would have to take my old 4:3 CRT out of my cold dead hands before I give it up. I love a lot of old TV shows on DVD and the simple fact is they look far better on the CRT than they do the flat panels. Indeed stupidly enough they look better on the big plasma than they do the 32inch LCD-which just shows how horrible LCD is at upscaling frankly.

I picked one up today for the bedroom. First impression after plugging in the ps3 was pretty good, haven't tested the built in freeview yet though.
For £50 though an excellent buy!

We need a new portable for the bedroom. Probably worth picking one of these up and sticking it in the trolley with the weekly shop.

However, is 15.6" really small? Not sure TBH.

RDB

PS Glad to see diehards still standing up for CRT :thumbsup:

Strangely, the sticker on the screen says 16". Haven't measured it to find out!
I was a bit concerned about the size, but found it fine. Unless you've got a massive bedroom lol
Probably best to look at some of the same size display tvs in asda to judge for yourself.

Strangely, the sticker on the screen says 16". Haven't measured it to find out!
I was a bit concerned about the size, but found it fine. Unless you've got a massive bedroom lol
Probably best to look at some of the same size display tvs in asda to judge for yourself.

Thanks. I think it should be okay. It's worth a punt at £50 anyway lol. I'll probably pick one up today.

It's basically just to replace an old 14" 4:3 CRT so should be okay. I had a quick measure where it will be going and I think it may just be perfect :thumbsup:

For a point of reference, most modern widescreen laptops run a 15.6" screen to give you an idea of how big this is.

If your anywhere near an Argos Clearance store (Birmingham and Corby) they have pallets full of 15 & 16" HD Ready TV's (many with built in DVD players) for £50-£60)

For a point of reference, most modern widescreen laptops run a 15.6" screen to give you an idea of how big this is.

Good tip thanks. I measured this very laptop and it is indeed 16ish

If your anywhere near an Argos Clearance store (Birmingham and Corby) they have pallets full of 15 & 16" HD Ready TV's (many with built in DVD players) for £50-£60)

And Stanley, Co Durham. Thanks for the reminder, forgot the place existed.

"Instead of having to watch programmes on an old portable 4:3 format TV" you say. Why do TV reviewers always have to mock CRT tech? The chances are an old, decent quality 4:3 tube TV will probably utterly destroy this piece of cheap tat in terms of picture quality.
They mock older stuff because they want you to keep consuming at a stupidly high rate and buy the latest 'shape' of TV. You can buy a decent second hand 32" HD CRT TV for about £100 if you look in the right places, which would certainly outlast one of these cheap crappy things as well at out performing it in both sound and vision.

its funny, as this advert, sparked my interest, as we have a 14" philips crt in the kitchen, and we fancied a replacement that could go on the wall to free up the worktop, that was only driving reason, i saw the asda deal for £50 and was well up for it, and then the shopping comparison bug hit me :D, long story short i ended up getting a refurb 22" widescreen HDTV for £89 delivered

pros and cons, glad i went for the bigger size, as now its up on a bracket, set back further, its only just about the right size, i couldnt have had a 15" now come to think of it.

its not LED like the asda one admittedly but my old philips CRT: much brighter, better color repro and better sound :facepalm:

nearly always a compromise aint it :rolleyes:

I thought I was pretty well up on tv connections, but I was surprised to see that the asda tv accepts a component input through scart. It even comes with an adapter! Result is a very good 480P Picture from the wii:)

You can buy a decent second hand 32" HD CRT TV for about £100 if you look in the right places

Make a lovely birthday present for my 16 year old that would
;)

"but you would have to take my old 4:3 CRT out of my cold dead hands before I give it up".
Thats what i thought until i brought a Kuro which totally knocked my Sony trinitron and B&O CRT'S for six! But i know what you mean only too well, i only in the last 6 months moved away from my Lacie 19" 4:3 very heavy CRT pc monitor for a dell 23" LCD and there are ups and downs..

CRT user here as well, 32". Worried that I'm going to modernise soon and I'll always be comparing whatever I get to CRT. I have seen a few Panasonic plasmas that do a good job though.

Picture quality issues aside, I don't think
I could ever go back to the sheer size and bulk of CRT sets compared to their flatscreen counterparts.

I have a Hitachi Multi Standard 20" CRT in the bedroom (originally in the lounge) bought in May 1983, lost patience waiting for the Sony CD 1 ( I think) priced at £495.00. I called in Laskys on the way home from the pub, saw the Hitachi, and as one of my hobbies was TV Dxing, I cancelled the Sony and bought it £429.00.
The picture is still very good, and gets battered every day by my SWMBO and Daughter playing on Playstation/XBox, pretty good value for money, might even throw a party for it next year:D

Tom

Edit: Not trying to hijack the thread, just my tuppence worth re CRT's

Last edited:
According to my CNET app thingy, they're about to start doing a 40" 1080P LCD for £250.

I've no idea on make/quality/specs whatever yet but if it's half decent it could make a dedicated gaming room an easy proposition (XBox or PS3 + cheapo 40" TV = about £400)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom