1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asda Lcd Tv's

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jtfab75, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jtfab75

jtfab75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    advert in the sun today for cheap lcds at Asda.i'm looking for a 17" and they have a Relisys 17" tv.is it any good and what model is it ?
    thanks

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

3. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked one of these up today, and seemed like a bargain. However, I can't get anything to run through the Scart. I've tried my US Gamecube, my UK Xbox and my Pioneer DVD. No picture at all. Yet they all run through the composite connection.

I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and let you know whether the replacement works.

BTW, haven't tried the VGA connection - my Mac has a beautiful 20" widescreen so don't need to run a computer on it. :)

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have one for over a month, works fine

5. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing I would say and anyone needs to be mindful of...You always get what you pay for.
    Thats not to say the ASDA LCD is not any good...I'm sure its great value for money but I believe many people believe that any LCD at any price to always be great quality...and from what I've seen there are very much notable differances between the cheap LCDs and the Top Notch LCDs in quality of ALL pictures, sound and of course connectivity.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not everyone can afford "top notch LCDs". If they could, I'm sure they would buy them

Dave

7. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It wasnt a cheap LCD a couple of months ago, the same TV was being sold by ASDA for £450 so a big drop in price plus you get a 3 year warranty so even though it may be cheap in quality you still get reasurance for the next 3 years.

Works out at £1.46 a week, the price of a decent cup of coffee.

8. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree...sorry I wasn't wanting to sound elite'ish' or anything...my point was more about peoples perceptions of what they might be buying based on a flat panel on the wall etc rather than what it is capable of (compared to say a decent widescreen CRT at the same price).

I appreciate that in the main a lot of people can't afford the top notch models...but then again if you go to a High Street shop you will be sold something by someone who knows very little about it. There is no advice only people trying to sell what they want to sell rather than what a customer wants (cynical I know)

Still I suppose if every retailer gave excellent advice....we would't have this Forum.!!
    Sorry I'm waffling..... :D

9. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, sorry I was late getting back to you with my opinions on the 17" LCD. Well, all I can say is, it was not for me.

I bought the display mainly for gaming, and possibly some DVD watching in the spare room.

I have several consoles that I wished to connect to it via a RGB Scart splitter, and a US Gamecube that I would connect through AV inputs.

The AV inputs worked okay - not the best quality, I could put up with it, but I could not get a picture through the Scart. I replaced the screen, within Asda's 28 days money back deal. I also bought an advanced AV kit for the Xbox, thinking it could be the cheapo one that comes with the machine. Not so - the new display with new leads etc still has problems with it's Scart input.

1st, when I connect the RGB lead directly to the TV, I only get green, not red or blue.

2nd, if I connect through the RGB multi-scart box, it works, but with really bad interference diagonal lines, and very pixelated.

So, today I took the TV back again to Asda and was gonna buy a standard CRT, something decent like Philips or Toshiba. I had seen the 20" BEKO LCD advertised on an Asda flyer and mentioned it to the lady behind the service desk. She said they had some in stock, but were not selling them yet, at which point one of the warehouse staff said they had gone on the shelves today.

It was an extra £50, but as I had paid an extra £10 for a scart splitter and the BEKO had 2 scart sockets I decided I could return the Scart Splitter and it would only be an extra £40.

Sooo... getting to the point....

The BEKO (MODEL: 20LB330) is stunning through it's RGB scart!!

The quality of the Xbox images is solid and crisp, almost PC like. Not a single dead pixel, with deep vibrant colours, I really can't fault it, and it's 3" bigger than the Relisys 17".

There is no pixellation, or colour bleed, just great. The AV quality is also vastly better than the Relisys. I am amazed at the quality of the screen for £279.99, if BEKO can do this on a larger scale I would even consider one for the lounge.

However, I have not had chance to test it on DVD footage or normal TV (something I will not be using it for anyway.) but I will give you feedback on that in a couple of days.

All I can say, is if you have the Relisys and are disappointed with it, take it back, pay the extra £50 and have a much better LCD TV.

10. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this has changed. It now states a one year guarantee with the TV, well that's what I got anyway. But get this, the guarantee allows you to get your money back if the item malfunctions at any point in the 12 month period - that is pretty good, as most companies will just replace or repair an item.

Theoretically, if it breaks at 11 months you can get your money back, buy a newer model and have the same guarantee again. Good old Asda!

11. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I have or should I say my dad now has the relisys and in the manual it does say 36 months on site.

If you go to the relisys web site you will see the following

Product: 15 inch to 17 inch LCD TV

Partner: UK RELISYS Hotline

Hotline/After Sales Enquiries: 08700 137 602

Warranty Details: 3 years on site for GB & NI mainland.
    Other islands such as the Isle of Man are covered by 3 year RTB warranty. Warranty procedures shall be reviewed from time to time and may be subject to change without prior notice.

So I would suggest getting a screen grab and print it off as future reference

12. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cavrencity, but I swapped it for the BEKO 20" 4:3 TV.

13. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    anyone bought one of the 17" beko's from tesco, model 17le300s?

14. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bought the 20" Dual lcd from asda and for £270 think it does quite a good job. Like was said before it's not my main TV just for watching in the bedroom. For which it is more than adequate.

15. 1audiman

1audiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI hows your 20" dual lcd getting along.
    has there been any problems ?

16. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Took it back..... only because the colour wouldn't adjust. Got another which then had no wall mouting kit in it. So thats going back too. Something else I noticed was that the menu's are a totally different style in the latest one. a bit funkier looking but it just seemed strange that this was different. Other than that, like I said it does a good job. Not great, just good.

17. 1audiman

1audiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering did you use it with a xbox.
    can the colour etc tuning etc menus be got at with no remote as i have been offered one for 129 but no remote still brand new boxed from asda aswell.

18. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No didn't try it with an x-box.

The menus can be acessed from the tv without remote and are located on the top of the set at the back. This would be a problem though if your going to wall mount it as you cant see what each button does once its hung and you'll need small fingers to get to them.

19. 1audiman

1audiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help.
    see its my wife works there and now tells me theres no power lead etc is it a lead or a complete power unit price is now 70 so i guess if i can get power lead or adaptor its an ok buy?

so in box is brackets, base and lcd telly nothing else no remote,manual or power stuff.
    what should it come with in the box and where does the power connect to as the wife said that she cant see where it connects too and is it an external power supply.
    thanks again for your help your better than an a*s*d*a employee .... :smashin:

20. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Seems like all your missing is the power supply, remote and manual. Nothing else in the box.
    It's a complete external power unit. 12volt I think, which plugs in on the base of the set vertically at the back along with the scart connections etc.

This would also make wall mounting quite difficult cause theres not alot of length on the lead from the power pack to tv so you would need to feed the full pack up the wall unless you can get one with a long lead (12v side, not the 240v side).

21. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't Commented on the Forum for a wee while.

About 2 years ago i started at Comet, Beach Store Aberdeen for an Xmas job. I stoped it back in Jan this year as im now a fully qualified Electrical and Electronic Engineer working in the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Industry....

I always had the view of this guy below before i worked in there.... People would come in and EXPECT sales people to decide for them. We worshiped a customer who actually knew what he/she/they wanted as it was so rare.

Infact, many customers would just leave unless you said "your taking that one" because they wanted you to chose for them.

In my time there i said to Hundreds of customers - you chose, its your money, its you who will b using it. I would say which one i would chose if i had the money - which i didn't, but leave it at that.

If people were more Definite about what they want - or even knew what was on the market - then life for a sales person would be so easy... Then we could sit on our arse all day.

Do you think having a crabit couple who grudge chosing a washing machine or TV for an hour is worth £2 commission, maybe £5 if they felt they needed insurance....

Don't make me laugh... It doesn't even pay for the Shoes you go through finding them after they have wandered off cos you said wait 2 mins whilst u bust ur gut finding the user manual for an off the display toaster with 30% off, which became 2.5mins - big deal.... Its a Toaster

I am NOT getting on at this particular Fellow Forum User - this is aimed at all the shop haters.

If you hate it so much - Don't come in - give my former colleagues and friends a break.